Adding Trunked Freq's

Status
Not open for further replies.

KetteringFF34

Hello all, I think this is my first post. I am always on here reading things. Anywho, I am a part time fire fighter for Kettering, Ohio. I have a PRO-95 scanner from Radio Shack, and I've been trying really hard to figure out how to add our radio frequencies to it so I can listen at home. I have found on this website the DEC and HEX codes, but I have NO idea exactly what to do? Here is the page I found the numbers at...

Montgomery County OH Trunking System, Dayton, Ohio - Scanner Frequencies

A little more than halfway Kettering is on the list. Can anyone help a noob out? haha Thanks a lot!

captclint

Mentor
Welcome to RR. I'm not familiar with that radio, but I think the steps are as follows:
1.Pick a bank for the system, and make it Moto .
2. Enter the red frequencies
3. Find the function that sets it for Control Channel only and make it CC only.
4. Enter the DEC values and their descriptions in a list for the talk groups(TGID's): http://marksscanners.com/95/95.shtml#programming_talk_group_ids
5. I would also select trucking scanning in the Open position to be sure you are receiving the system. This will mean you hear everything, including Kettering.
6. ONce you have verified you are hearing the system, you can switch to closed scanning, which will only pick up the TGID's you have entered for Kettering.
The following may be more help:
http://marksscanners.com/95/95.shtml#programming_trunking_systems

Last edited:

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Pro-95

Hello all, I think this is my first post. I am always on here reading things.
Welcome to RadioReference.com!!!

Anywho, I am a part time fire fighter for Kettering, Ohio. I have a PRO-95 scanner from Radio Shack, and I've been trying really hard to figure out how to add our radio frequencies to it so I can listen at home. I have found on this website the DEC and HEX codes, but I have NO idea exactly what to do? ... Can anyone help a noob out? haha Thanks a lot!
You can program the scanner manually, or you can get free software (WIN95) to do it for you. The catch with the software is that you'll need a cable. If your PC has COM ports, you can use the COM version cable, but they are only available used. The USB version is available online or at Radio Shack. The RS number is 20-047.

If you want to just program the system you provided the link for, the good news is that you only need to enter 4 frequencies (867.6500, 868.2000, 868.5750, 868.850). If you just program those 4 frequencies in to a bank (I'd pick a bank that you dedicate for this), and set EACH of the frequencies to MOT mode (not FM), and make sure they are not locked out. Ideally you should hear a buzzsaw sound on one of the channels, that's the data the scanner will use in SCAN mode.

So with the 4 frequencies entered, press SCAN. Make sure you are scanning the bank where you programmed them. If not, press the number of the bank to toggle it on. Below the number, on the display, when scanning, it will show a "+" or a "-". For now it should be + to indicate the bank is open. You should begin to pick up everything on that system. If that works and you want to move toward limiting what you hear or have text descriptions display for what you are hearing, more programming is needed.

Good luck!

DickH

... the good news is that you only need to enter 4 frequencies (867.6500, 868.2000, 868.5750, 868.850). If you just program those 4 frequencies in to a bank (I'd pick a bank that you dedicate for this), and set EACH of the frequencies to MOT mode (not FM), ...

Now here's the BAD NEWS. Those 4 frequencies will be changed when they RE-BAND the system, and they must do it soon. The PRO-95 will still receive the new freqs., but it will not be able to track them (follow conversations as the system constantly changes the freqs. during conversations).
PRO-160 and PRO-162 are re-bandable. They are discontinued and will be inexpensive, but they are very good scanners. You may be able to still find one. Your local Radio Shack can check their computer and perhaps find one in another store.
The PRO-163 & PRO-164 are also re-bandable and they are on sale for $179.95.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Those 4 frequencies will be changed when they RE-BAND the system,
That's true.

The PRO-95 will still receive the new freqs., but it will not be able to track them (follow conversations as the system constantly changes the freqs. during conversations).
That is not necessarily true, it depends on the exact frequencies that are selected after rebanding.

The PRO-163 & PRO-164 are also re-bandable and they are on sale for $179.95.
And the PSR-300 is the same exact radio as the PRO-164, and is on sale for $149.95 and comes with the AC adapter.

KetteringFF34

You should begin to pick up everything on that system. If that works and you want to move toward limiting what you hear or have text descriptions display for what you are hearing, more programming is needed.

Good luck!

I will only want to listen to KFD. I have this information on our channels...
DEC HEX MODE TAG

6256 187 A Kettering
6288 189 A Ops 60
9744 261 A Ops 61
9808 265 A Ket EMS

How do I go about just tuning that stuff in while scanning? I am doing this all manually on the device btw.

DickH

I will only want to listen to KFD. I have this information on our channels...
DEC HEX MODE TAG

6256 187 A Kettering
6288 189 A Ops 60
9744 261 A Ops 61
9808 265 A Ket EMS

How do I go about just tuning that stuff in while scanning? I am doing this all manually on the device btw.

Try this.
PROGRAMMING STEPS
1. Press PGM, then an ARROW to select the bank you want to use.
2. Press TRUNK
3. Press MODE to select MOT (for Motorola).
4. Press PGM
5. Enter 867.6500, press ENTER, then the UP arrow.
6. Enter 868.2000, press ENTER, then the UP arrow.
7. Enter 868.5750, press ENTER, then the UP arrow.
8. Enter 868.8500, press ENTER
9. Press SCAN.
Now it will start "trunking" in OPEN mode and you will hear all active
talk groups (those DEC numbers).

To hear only the Talk groups you want (CLOSED mode) you need to
enter those TGs into a sub-bank or SCAN LIST.
FUNC 5 will toggle between OPEN and CLOSED modes.

ENTERING TGs INTO SUB-BANKS (SCAN LISTS) (page 63)
1. Press PGM, then TRUNK
2. Press FUNC, then an arrow to select the bank.
3. Press MODE to select MOT.
4. Press TRUNK to select the sub-bank. (SCAN LIST)
(It should display 0-0, the first TG position)
5. Enter 6256 (Kettering), press the UP arrow.
6. Enter 6288 (OPS 60), press the UP arrow.
7. Enter 9744 (OPS 61), press the UP arrow.
8. Enter 9808 (KET EMS), press SCAN.

dbsar

Premium Subscriber
Welcome to RadioReference.com!!!

If you want to just program the system you provided the link for, the good news is that you only need to enter 4 frequencies (867.6500, 868.2000, 868.5750, 868.850). If you just program those 4 frequencies in to a bank (I'd pick a bank that you dedicate for this), and set EACH of the frequencies to MOT mode (not FM), and make sure they are not locked out. Ideally you should hear a buzzsaw sound on one of the channels, that's the data the scanner will use in SCAN mode.

Thank you for the info. In the above example you also enter the alternate control channels, what effect does this have on scanning? And does this apply to EDACS too?

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Thank you for the info. In the above example you also enter the alternate control channels, what effect does this have on scanning? And does this apply to EDACS too?
The OP provided a link to the exact system to be programmed. That is a MOTorola type system and I showed all control channels listed. When it comes to programming control channels, program them all. It does not hurt to program all frequencies, as any could become a control channel at some point in the future.

When it comes to EDACS or LTR type systems, you MUST program in ALL of the frequencies. Additionally, it is critical which "channel number slots" they are programmed in to. In the RR DB there will be a subscript of numerals next to the frequency. That is the Logical Channel Number (LCN). So if the LCN is 02, put that frequency in to channel 02 of the bank (for example, channel 102 for bank 1). The biggest mistake people make when programming EDACS or LTR is that they start at channel 00. That does not work.

KetteringFF34

Thanks a lot gentelmen. I will try to do this Saturday evening. The old lady lives about 45 mins south from me, so I don't see her much and she has the radio so she can listen to our calls. I will let you know how it goes!

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Dumb question: what is KFD? In a site as large as this one, covering multiple countries, this could mean any number of areas.

As a general rule; you can check our database to see what we have. Go up to the blue toolbar under the site title to the left, float your mouse over database then use the various pulldowns to select the area that you wish to research

best regards...Mike

CoolCat

Premium Subscriber
Hi KetteringFF34,

Per the link you provided in the first post: "Montgomery County is starting to reprogram radios for the system rebanding that is forthcoming. The new rebanded control frequencies will be: 853.8500, 853.5750, 853.2000, 852.6500".

Did you buy a new scanner? Or are you planning to? Your Pro-95 may not work with the new rebanded MCOH trunking system. The RR Wiki section (see: Why won't my scanner work after rebanding?) explains why.

Happy Scanning :)

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Unless they break from the normal pattern, the rebanded frequencies will be 15 mhz less than the current ones. best regards...Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.