Addison IL question

Status
Not open for further replies.

LEH

Premium Subscriber
I ordered an item and the shipping information indicated it originated in Addison, IL. Not knowing where Addison was, I searched for it and was intrigued by the several areas on the map in the middle of Addison that are not part of the village. Made me wonder who responds to emergencies to those areas. My apology for using 'city' on my graphic. Further checking identifies Addison as a village.

Attachments

• addison-il-open-areas.png
    addison-il-open-areas.png
    527.4 KB · Views: 15

N9JIG

Sheriff
Police services in areas not incorporated into the village fall to the Dupage County Sheriff. Some communities might contract with a nearby city police for patrol services but the ultimate jurisdiction falls to the SO.

Fire services in much of DuPage County are handled by Fire Protection Districts, whose boundaries do not always follow city or village limits but were established decades ago when it was all farmland. Some communities are protected by several different FD's. These areas could be protected by the Addison FPD or some other agency nearby. The dispatchers have the proper locations programmed into the CAD system and often there are agreements for the nearest rig to respond even if it is in another's jurisdiction.

In Illinois there are Cities, Villages and Towns (not to be confused with Townships). Cities usually have Alderman elected from districts, Villages usually have Council Members elected at large. Towns can be formed as a City or Village but incorporate the functions of the Township as well, thus are not part of a township.

LEH

Premium Subscriber
In Illinois there are Cities, Villages and Towns (not to be confused with Townships). Cities usually have Alderman elected from districts, Villages usually have Council Members elected at large. Towns can be formed as a City or Village but incorporate the functions of the Township as well, thus are not part of a township.

Rich, thank you, I kind of figured something like that but it was interesting to see that map.

One really has to love the 'Northwest Territory' organizations. I lived in Ohio for several years so I understand (to a degree) the structure of the 'governments'.

Virginia has its own unique organization, counties and independent cities.

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
Appears Addison is on the state system. It has been along time I visited those areas.

2713 a99 DACDC Fire 2Fire 2: Addison, Itasca, Wood Dale FPDs Fire Dispatch

N9JIG

Sheriff
Rich, thank you, I kind of figured something like that but it was interesting to see that map.

One really has to love the 'Northwest Territory' organizations. I lived in Ohio for several years so I understand (to a degree) the structure of the 'governments'.

Virginia has its own unique organization, counties and independent cities.
I am a student of geography and actually have gone to visit the initial points of most of the land survey baselines and meridians in the Midwest. Understanding that system and the intricacies within make understanding the difference between Civil Townships and Survey Townships interesting.

With all of this, most people in Illinois call their local municipality a "Town" rather than the actual type of entity it really is. (What town do you live in?...)

Status
Not open for further replies.