Addressing .. "The Elephant in the Room"

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScubaJungle

If you use large fonts and no one else, then you're only going to see your own posts clearly. If you got Microsoft Windows then hold down the Ctrl key and use the scroll wheel on your mouse to increase the size of the texts, and everything else on screen.

No company wish to have conversations about bugs and problems being discussed in the open in a public forum. That's bad publicity but some companies do have private email conversations but most companies doesn't have any kind of user interaction. The less it's talked about any possible problems the better for the company.

Paul had a genuine interest and wanted us to have the best products possible but management probably didn't look to kindly at his participation in public forums. Looking at the timestamps of Pauls comments he mostly did that outside of office hours. The more problems that where reported, that sometimes only affected a couple of users, the more time and money had to be spent to fix those problems. Uniden could very well had said that if you're not happy with our products then you are free to go and buy from another company that you think has a better product. But we would buy Unidens products anyhow as they would still be the best even with some minor hardware and software issues.

/Ubbe
This is exactly what I thought. Like I said in my earlier post, it was something that was of Upmans own desire to do, and I agree that Uniden probably didn't even like it to an extent. Corporations care about money - they don't want anyone showing their hand. The role of Project Manager means a lot of potential for that, and it almost certainly doesn't include posting in forums as a job duty. I think a lot of people view Uniden as some sort of mom&pop business that cares about their customers and knows them by name - it's not. Not to say they don't care, but they're a corporation, and at the end of the day, their concern is profit not appeasing an online forum. If the new PM happens to have a keen interest in the hobby, then maybe they will post, but there's also the chance that Uniden didn't like what Upman was doing, but didnt consider it when hiring him, and may disallow it with a new hire.
Most of this is speculation, but the fact is that Uniden is a corporation, corporations' first priority is money, and successful marketing of their products does not require forum activity. Do they want forum presence, or did they not like Upmans presence here? Speculation. Do they need to have someone to "full his shoes" in regard to RR forum? No.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
After seeing this thread today, I reached out to Uniden on Facebook and this was the reply.

Sometimes it’s best to just go to the source instead of speculating...

I'm guessing we're still waiting on them to show up? Or did I just miss it?

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I'm guessing we're still waiting on them to show up? Or did I just miss it?
With the exception of Paul, I don't think Uniden has ever been customer communications oriented,

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
No matter what is done, not everyone will be happy. The complaints ranged from providing helpful information for the engineers through UPMan to just complaining to complain. If anyone does take the reigns, he or she better buckle in for a ride.

kb7gjy

Feed Provider
#Plottwist / #FakeNews / #JustJoking

WhistlerWendy has been silent since Jan 10. Maybe she jumped ship to work for Uniden as the front person of the scanner department.

As werinshades said, whomever takes over better have thick skin. Personally I have seen some great questions to Upman, to the verge personnel attacks when something isn't right. Some great ideas for firmware improvements and suggestions for the next great product. I predict that if/when someone steps in here they will be welcomed with open arms at first then will slowly go back to general questions and problems to, well you get the idea.

I'm still waiting for my waffle maker with syrup attachment. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.