Adequate batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.

ECB85

Hi, some batteries that have long duration?, I have a 2500 NI MH mah Brand
Duracell, but only last a few hours.
Any advice, what kind of batteries to use for the trx-1? Which are the most suitable or last longer.
Thank you.

Tech1

Hi, some batteries that have long duration?, I have a 2500 NI MH mah Brand
Duracell, but only last a few hours.
Any advice, what kind of batteries to use for the trx-1? Which are the most suitable or last longer.
Thank you.

I use double AA NiMH 2500 mAh re-chargeable batteries. Is the battery your using
re-chargeable ?

MichaelBhere

Charge your batteries in an external charger. Mine last 12 hours in the radio when fully charged. I was told the built in charger is only a low current maintenance charger to comply with the CEC regulations.

ECB85

Ok, thanks if I use an external charger.
But Whitsler, could you put batteries type: of the li-ion?

Last edited:

CycleSycho

something like that

Ok, thanks if I use an external charger.
But Whitsler, could you put batteries type: of the li-ion?

:wink: Never going to happen. Things like this are considered in the initial design phase (including revisions), and way too expensive to design into a platform that is years into production. :wink:

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Given enough time, even batteries in the radio will reach a full charge. An external charger is still best, but the type that charges each cell individually is far better than a cheap series type. Lithium batteries for AA cell design is impractical due to the voltage being well above the 1.2 to 1.5 volts of a typical AA cell. A built in cell pack defeats the purpose of a portable scanner because it needs to be stationary during. Early scanners had this design (Regency HX-1000) with an 8 cell Ni-Cd pack.

KD6HRI

I use Panasonic Enloop Pro batteries (2550 mh) in my Whistler WS1088 and they seem to work very well and have a good run time. I also keep two sets charged and ready to go.

ECB85

Hello, again and thanks for the answers.
I bought Ebay these batteries, to try.
Made in china (like almost everything)
Will explode Or will they burn?

Attachments

• PILAS.jpg
    PILAS.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 257

SCPD

QRT
Other than they will not fit .. nothing stopping you from using them. Not a very practical solution.

The answer .. good batteries (Panasonic Eneloop Pro) and a good external charger (Maha MH-C9000 or similar).

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
something like that
Some past models of Uniden scanners had battery 'packs'. The old BC3000 had a slide on pack that went on the bottom of the scanner. Units like the BC250D have a proprietary pack that plugged in on the scanner under the cover.

The advantage to using AA cells is that as long as you have extra batteries, whether rechargeable or plain old alkaline batteries, your scanner could keep going during an extended power outage. Plus AA batteries are available virtually anywhere. A radio specific pack would not be.

SCPD

QRT
I cannot see the manufacturers switching from the AA user replaceable format .. as the battery packs of the past were a mess and really did not make the scanners work better.

The universal availability of the AA make them the best fit for a scanner.

CanesFan95

Hello, again and thanks for the answers.
I bought Ebay these batteries, to try.
Made in china (like almost everything)
Will explode Or will they burn?

DO NOT put those in your scanner. Those are 18650 cells, not AAs. They may not even fit anyways as 18650s are a little longer than AAs. They are 3.7 volts EACH which is more than double what a AA is supposed to be. Would surely fry your radio.

Machria

Premium Subscriber
something like that

FROM YOUR MOUTH TO GODS EARS!!! :wink:

It's almost a CRIME, and personally I think it SHOULD be a crime, to design a hand held electronics device today without using a Li-On battery pack.

Forget the fact it would make life 1000 times easier, last longer, be cheaper, and allow the unit to work for WEEKS on a charge instead of hours, but it would also greatly reduce the HUGE amount of acid and chemical that are just killing the environment from people throwing away AA and AAA batteries because manufacturer's are too lazy in most cases to design the product properly.

MichaelBhere

FROM YOUR MOUTH TO GODS EARS!!! :wink:

It's almost a CRIME, and personally I think it SHOULD be a crime, to design a hand held electronics device today without using a Li-On battery pack.

Forget the fact it would make life 1000 times easier, last longer, be cheaper, and allow the unit to work for WEEKS on a charge instead of hours, but it would also greatly reduce the HUGE amount of acid and chemical that are just killing the environment from people throwing away AA and AAA batteries because manufacturer's are too lazy in most cases to design the product properly.

Not sure where you are going with this thread. There are several very good Ni-MH batteries out there, work perfectly well, and do not kill the environment.

I do not see how having a Li-Po would make anything 1000 times easier, nor would it be cheaper as currently Whistler does not supply the batteries, nor would it last for weeks instead of hours as 2500mAh is 2500mAh is 2500mAh regardless of it being Li-PO vs.Ni-MH.

Get a 1 or 2 good quality sets of rechargeable AA Ni-MH and a good external charger. I get 12 hours of use from mine when fully charged. I have been told the Uniden units only work for 6 hours on a set of batteries but I do not have one to personally confirm. Maybe someone else can chime in on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.