Adjustable stand for the Malahit

Status
Not open for further replies.

pnw73

With its waterfall display, sensitivity and incredible NR capability, the Malahit is a gem. What it needs to be even better is some form of tabletop support. Lacking the motivation to build an adjustable stand, I went searching for options that could be purchased. On Amazon I found the 'OMOTON C2 Aluminum Desktop Phone Dock’. The build quality of this widget far exceeds its price. The lower arms on the OMOTON are too short to securely cradle the radio, so I added an adjustable ‘Motorcycle/Bicycle Cell Phone Holder’ which functions as a mini vise. The one shown here is a Kewig found on eBay. Amazon has a similar design by MaxMiles.

To make it all work just required an Allen wrench and a few pieces of double-stick foam tape. On the back of the Kewig is the socket base for the unit’s ball-pivot which is secured with a single screw. Removing it and the socket leaves a flat surface for taping the Kewig to the dock. The project was that simple, and it is perfect for the application. Also, if you use an MLA-30 with your Malahit, there is room for its tiny bias-tee box and a cellphone powerbank underneath.

A IMG_2994.jpg

B Omoton C2.jpg

C IMG_2995.jpg

D kewig.jpg

The blue tape was added to prevent scuffing.
E IMG_2996.jpg

F IMG_3007.jpg

Attachments

• A IMG_2994.jpg
    A IMG_2994.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 8

ka1njl

That is a great idea! Thank you for sharing your ingenious method for making a holder that will likely work with other radios and a host of other devices. I may start collecting the needed parts today.

pnw73

> Was the stand top heavy, before adding the battery pack?

Not at all, it's very stable. The battery was placed there just to keep things tidy.

pnw73

> How do you like the radio?

As I've said, it's a gem. I’ve been an SWL for decades and owned a number of spendy tabletops, and portable receivers. This little Malahit is the best, yet. It can hear whatever an antenna is capable of receiving and the digital signal processing allows you to easily isolate and fine-tune DX. Its NR feature will eliminate nearly all noise--sometimes all of it. Never have I had a receiver that does it so well. Ham chatter often sounds like a local AM broadcast.

Like the NR, the waterfall display is pure joy. I cannot emphasize that enough. This technology is a paradigm shift that makes previous receivers without it obsolete. I think it will eventually be a standard offering on serious portable SWL receivers. You can see where the signals are, so no more noodling around blind hoping to stumble upon some activity.

The small onboard speaker is clear, but don't expect big sound from it. Most of my listening is with earbuds, but I do occasionally patch through, via an old ORB Mini-T amplifier, to a pair of vintage Minimus 7's.

Because of my location, for an outdoor antenna I use a simple and concealable multi-strand insulated wire antenna run along 80+ feet of fence line. Indoors, the Malahit handshakes very well with an MLA-30 loop fixed to a PVC pipe setup mounted on a Christmas tree stand. This arrangement is also quick and easy to use on road trips.

The latest SDR Ham receivers have similar features but cost a LOT more (and you can't put them in a pocket ;-). Amazon sells this JSTVRO version of the Malahit (which has the better software) at https://tinyurl.com/4u977x65

pnw73

> .... No USB?

A cable is included. There is a lot of good info about the receiver at that Amazon page.

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
Strange to offer LSB but not USB. So this fits in the palm of your hand? Have only found russian videos on this but still looking to find american videos. How many versions on this? think I saw v3 on my google fu. Am interested in this but want to do my research on it.

V3

Last edited:

pnw73

It receives USB and LSB. Afaik, there is only one version of this JSTVRO (at the Amazon link above). I found a vid on Ytube of this receiver (not created by me). It's not going to give a lot of technical info, but you can see what it is Tiny Shortwave Prepper Radios Malahit SDR Receiver!

Contrary to what is mentioned in the vid, my radio does also receive broadcast AM and FM. I don't monitor 2m and 70cm but you can hear chatter up there, too.

His sample audio is not as quiet as it can be. It sounds like he did not engage the NR.

Last edited:

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
The V3 looks a little big so reduces the compactness. Will do some more research. Would like to here from owners how it does on higher frequencies like air band.

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
Am down in Cozumel on vacation. Brought my old radio shack DX-398 I used when in the gulf war. Works ok. The malahit on Amazon is authentic, not a Chinese knock off, correct? Time to upgrade and this looks to be a good upgrade. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.