Adjustable VOX on any DMR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

joema

Is there any portable or hand held DMR radio with the adjustable VOX settings we are accustomed to in the analog world? E.g, VOX gain (ie trigger sensitivity) and VOX delay (ie hold time)? In this scenario a headset would be used.

When I inquire about this the DMR vendors say "VOX doesn't work, it's useless -- even with a headset". What they mean is (most? all?) current DMR radios only have a VOX enable/disable setting -- which is usually programmatically disabled. Of course with no adjustability there would be spurious triggering all the time -- even with a headset.

I agree due to the slight encoding delay VOX is harder with digital voice, but by the same token it should also be possible to have "VOX voice delay" where they buffer a few hundred mS of audio before keying the transmitter to avoid losing syllables.

Does anybody know about the state of VOX in DMR? Do any radios have this with the usual adjustable parameters we use in analog?

KQ1Q

romanr

Hytera's PD78x CPS options permit mic gain and VOX hold settings.
Here is a video regarding the setup of VOX on Motorola's DMR radios (adjustable sensitivity)

...hope this helps...

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Premium Subscriber
You haven't been looking very hard. The TYT MD-380 and 390 both have VOX with 10 sensitivity adjustment settings.

OHIOSCAN

Been looking for the exact same VOX setup for DMR, the TYT models VOX does not seem to work well. Been talking to vendors for years about VOX on radios, cannot believe it's that difficult to implement. The VX-7R has been the only radio I have used that works.

TYT-MD-380 VOX
Tytera MD-380 VOX - DMR Users

hb9pjt

I don't know any DMR rig WITHOUT an adjustable VOX. I tried the VOX with my Motorola. Basically the VOX works perfect. But in practice it is useless because there is a one second delay after the transmitter begins to transmit until the audiostream starts transmitting. So you have to say someting to activate the transmitter by VOX and then wait for 1 second until you talk your message for transmitting. This is for DMR. For analog transmitting it is not a problem.

73, Peter - HB9PJT

Status
Not open for further replies.