Adrian, MI - Militia radio aired sheriff's dispatches in search for Hutaree

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
ADRIAN, Mich. -- A Sheriff's Department radio communications were broadcast over an Internet militia-run radio station during a March 28 search for a member of a Christian militia group accused of plotting to kill police.

Idiots.

It's exactly this sort of jackassery that leads to encryption, laws banning internet access to scanners, and suspicious looks and uncomfortable questions from authorities whenever they see a scanner. Thanks loads, Militia kooks. Way to go. :roll:

-AZ

newsphotog

Premium Subscriber
ADRIAN, Mich. -- A Sheriff's Department radio communications were broadcast over an Internet militia-run radio station during a March 28 search for a member of a Christian militia group accused of plotting to kill police.

I know I'm going to get attacked for saying this, but I want to point out something that should be painfully obvious: what they did is really no different than what the live stream section of RadioReference is doing. However, I don't know if the militia radio site was broadcasting a tactical-only channel, which is forbidden in the RadioReference TOS.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
The news media being what it is you'll never know what was actually streamed on the internet so "discussion" regarding content can only be futile and useless conjecture.
"However, I don't know if the militia radio site was broadcasting a tactical-only channel, which is forbidden in the RadioReference TOS."
See? There you go so toss that bit of comparison out the window before it stinks up the place.

Consider this however, the stream was about a militia and provided by a militia so chat it up to your heart's content, brains need not be involved, no thought required.

FoeHammer

Premium Subscriber
Idiots.

It's exactly this sort of jackassery that leads to encryption, laws banning internet access to scanners, and suspicious looks and uncomfortable questions from authorities whenever they see a scanner. Thanks loads, Militia kooks. Way to go. :roll:

-AZ

exactly , the more & more high profile exposure of , streaming law enforcement comms & media mentioning
people with scanners as source ,...the sooner everything will go encrypted ...
Its like some are TRYING to see how fast they can contribute to making every thing go encrypted
People just dont get it ,...How can you not understand ,...that if you draw attention to yourself enough times with this , they are going to do something about it ,....many will run around & say "What I have a a right to do it its not illegal " & go ahead & do it & tell everyone around them proudly ,....Well way to go ,...but did You ever stop to think that maybe if you kept a low profile Instead of constantly reminding the world , your little hobby just might have had a chance?
It amazes me that even the news media will say that they heard it on the scanner ,....why did you even need to say that ? way to draw attention to the issue ,....yet again.....how long do you think before they say ok ,...its getting too popular ...too mainstream & we are tired of this , its time to go encrypted ....
So whatever , laugh & play now , but when all thats left for your fancy radio to listen to is drive thru windows ,just dont act so shocked & say how could this happen,....

newsphotog

Premium Subscriber
Cue the attacks... and cue Warren! Right on time.

"However, I don't know if the militia radio site was broadcasting a tactical-only channel, which is forbidden in the RadioReference TOS."
See? There you go so toss that bit of comparison out the window before it stinks up the place.

Consider this however, the stream was about a militia and provided by a militia so chat it up to your heart's content, brains need not be involved, no thought required.

No, it's worthy for discussion. I was simply stating both sides of the argument for the sake of objective discussion. Until the day they reveal if it was the dispatch channels, general usage channels, or channels exclusively and exclusively tagged as tactical channels that they were broadcasting, this comparison is fair game.

I'm not on either side of the argument, it's just food for thought.

rdale

Premium Subscriber
I know I'm going to get attacked for saying this, but I want to point out something that should be painfully obvious: what they did is really no different than what the live stream section of RadioReference is doing

You won't get attacked - we all realize you are joking.

Comparing the streaming of a channel on the Internet for Joe Citizen in Podunk, Iowa to listen is NOWHERE NEAR the same as an illegal radio station offering an illegal broadcast of the communications for Joe Michigan Militia Idiot to listen to on his radio.

Fortunately this was just traffic control points and the like, so nothing really worrisome.

But thinking what they is no different that RR? That's funny.

So you don't make this mistake again - I suggest perusing the law about radio station transmissions and compare it to the legality of Internet streaming.

newsphotog

Premium Subscriber
You won't get attacked - we all realize you are joking.

Comparing the streaming of a channel on the Internet for Joe Citizen in Podunk, Iowa to listen is NOWHERE NEAR the same as an illegal radio station offering an illegal broadcast of the communications for Joe Michigan Militia Idiot to listen to on his radio.

Fortunately this was just traffic control points and the like, so nothing really worrisome.

But thinking what they is no different that RR? That's funny.

So you don't make this mistake again - I suggest perusing the law about radio station transmissions and compare it to the legality of Internet streaming.

Would the court really view RadioReference and militiaradio.com as equals, as the same? If RadioReference and militiaradio.com were both streaming the same transmissions, would one site be less evil than the other? The courts were designed in such a way as to not give preferential treatment in any manner.

Also, what do you mean by "illegal radio station?" The article explicitly states that it was broadcast over the internet, not the airwaves. So what is RadioReference doing differently?

And no, I don't provide a stream for Joe Citizen in Podunk, Iowa. Surely we can't have a civilized, adult discussion offering different viewpoints. We can't make that mistake, can we, rdale? You seem to know that -- like everything else -- real well. I'm just offering a new viewpoint, that as usual, you are too bull-headed to consider.

rdale

Premium Subscriber
Ahh - delete delete delete...

The local story I read specifically stated it was a pirate FM radio station. I didn't read this linked article as I assumed it had the same info. Not that too much good comes from Detroit, but I'll trust this source ;)

rdale

Premium Subscriber
As far as I know, the feed they were broadcasting was straight from RadioReference.com

Did they have an agreement?

They were not attempting to assist any fugitives, they were trying to find out what the hell was going on.

Now THAT is funny stuff. Especially for a brand new poster...

kb2vxa

Banned
"Cue the attacks... and cue Warren! Right on time."
I'm ALWAYS right on time. (;->)

Well Newsie (if the term is still politically correct) if you look a little closer I said that speculation over exactly WHAT was broadcast is useless and it seems they took the hint. Of course comparison is fair game, I never said it wasn't.

What disappointed me (as usual) was encryption reared its ugly head again, yet another rant added to the pile ever growing higher and deeper. Like, how many times state the obvious that has worn thin as tissue paper?

Quote:
They were not attempting to assist any fugitives, they were trying to find out what the hell was going on.
"Now THAT is funny stuff. Especially for a brand new poster."
+1 especially when Smoky And The Bandit takes on a whole new twist... breaker breaker tain fo?

The Fugitive, a Quinn-Martin production.

zerg901

Premium Subscriber
I worry that encryption, or the blocking of Internet feeds, will contribute to "out of control police" - like in Brazil. Peter Sz

Lethal Force | Human Rights Watch

This report looks at the high number of killings by police in Brazil.

Rio de Janeiro - 26 cops killed - 1000 civilians killed by cops - 2008 ish

Sao Paulo - 22 cops killed - 500 civilians killed by cops - 2008 ish

USA - 41 cops killed feloniously in 2008

Boston's highly variable murder rate is analagous to Rio and Sau Paulo
(10 or 30 per 100,000) by my calculation - Boston has seen a murder
rate up to 150 per year IIRC - Boston murder rate is 40 or 50 in 2009
which would be approximately the same as Sao Paulo - I dont think that
Boston Police killed anyone in 2009, nor were any Boston Police killed
in 2009 IIRC

Bottom line - the police in Brazil are much more involved in the
violence than the Boston Police - both on the receiving end and the
giving end

kb2vxa

Banned
Now go back to that thread and read the reply to that post which I happen to agree with. Being a bit more familiar with the country and culture than some may think I am I'm saying one tries to compare apples to oranges in a biased and politically charged atmosphere here.
"...the police in Brazil are much more involved in the violence than the Boston Police..."
That I'll agree with simply because the ghetto areas of those two cities make anything the Boston police deal with look like a walk in the park on a Sunday afternoon.

Now why don't you Chicken Little types go worry about something with a bit more social relevance? Like they say in New York, I gotcha encryption right heeah pal.

Last edited:

lackomar

Here's something that will break your hearts. I have this from good sources. Militia radio was not broadcasting a feed from his scanner... Rather He was broadcasting the feed from this site, It was also posted on Democratic Underground.

riccom

Upstate S.C.
Premium Subscriber
Whos to blame, thats the question, well i think i can answer that real quick

Say a man made a hammer to hammer nails with and sold them in mass Production , is it the mans fault that the guy used the same brand of hammer to kill some one with , no, while the mass production is there and the man made it, the intentions was not ment to be harmful.

its the person who uses the tool (ie say a radio feed) thats should be liable, now there is a law using a scanner to devulge info to commit or in the commisson of a crime, this would fall into the hands of the one who misused the feed.

rdale

Premium Subscriber
The feed wasn't misused, or to help in the commission of a crime.

Status
Not open for further replies.