ADSB 1090mhz pre amplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.

N1XDS

ÆS Ø
Was wondering for the guys and ladies are use a 1090mhz LNA pre amplifier for they're plane tracking software what do you use? I am looking in to getting one but I am not sure which manufacturer to go with. I heard Uptronics is really good.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
I use a HAB-FPA1090SAW bought from Uputronics. Works pretty good for me. Wasn't cheap, $44 bucks shipped to me a couple of years ago. I use it with my Airspy, and it has just enough amplication to get the job done.

I'm sure there are other equally good amp/filter combos out there. I can't say this is better or worse than any other since I've never used any other one.

Mike

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Just go with Radarboxs' adsb flightstick. For $15 you can't beat it.

Tons of people use those and similar ones from Flightaware with great success. I cannot knock them. But, I'm a firm believer at filtering/amplifying at the antenna versus at the receiver. Using the amped/filtered dongles certainly is much easier as it doesn't require a bias-tee.

Mike

Ubbe

I agree with Mike about filtering and having amplification at the antenna. But anyhow try and use something else than RG58. A RG6 coax works well.

Use a 1090MHz filter before the amplifier to get rid of all cellular stuff and use a very low noise amplifier less than NF 1dB. Then it doesn't matter much what SDR receiver you have. I use a cheap 1090 antenna I bought that equals the home built coax antenna that where 3-4 times longer and that I checked with an antenna analyzer to see that it was optimised at 1090MHz. With the filter and amp I get twice the range. Then antenna doesn't seem to be available any longer but I believe it was from this guy but had higher gain and where 3 times longer. Antenna 5/8 great coverage ads-b ADSB 1090mhz high gain N con FE1090-P | eBay

/Ubbe

frazpo

Tons of people use those and similar ones from Flightaware with great success. I cannot knock them. But, I'm a firm believer at filtering/amplifying at the antenna versus at the receiver. Using the amped/filtered dongles certainly is much easier as it doesn't require a bias-tee.

Mike
I've done both. I've experimented with adsb setups for the past 2-3 years. Running inline amps and power inserters, flightaware usb sticks, the flightaware antenna, etc. Just like any other RF setup, your location and RF environment will matter most and differs with every person. With a good LOS on the horizon the filtered and amped usb sticks did just as well as the amp and power inserter. That's just my experience. Good luck with whatever you go with. It's a fun hobby.

N1XDS

ÆS Ø
Sorry for my late reply. I went with the Uptronics ADSB pre amplifier from Uptronics it'll arrived today. Right now I am using a NoElec 2832 dongle with LMR 400 flex cable that is fed to my DPD Productions ADSB outdoor antenna. I use Dump1090, PlanePlotter, VRS and MilAirComms1090.

Status
Not open for further replies.