ADSB. ACARS. VDL2. Data Decoding website for Southern California

Status
Not open for further replies.

millam

Old Radio Guy
Premium Subscriber
Impressive work, I'm just trying to get VRS going over the internet and I'm stuck on the port / ip stuff. I had it going 1 time but now its dead. Can someone post a copy of their c:\Users\...\AppData\Local\VirtualRadar configuration.xml file? I can use either RTL1090 or ADSBSpy. I would also like to see a RTL1090 config file. I have 47806 port forwarded. Thanks, Mil

rolesen

Greetings. Sheepishly I have only just found out about this forum, but am excited to find you all.
I would like to share a little website I have been working on for the past few years.
It is a mix of URL's due to the decoding that we are doing.

ADSB and VRS. Virtual Radar Server. We have around 12 different Raspberry Pi ADSB decoders scattered around the Los Angles, San Diego, Phoenix, Las Vegas area and they all feed back into my central VRS system.
http://thebaldgeek.net:2277/virtualradar/desktop.html#

ACARS. We run 3 main ACARS sites in Temecula, Phoenix and Las Vegas. They each feed back into my central server. I cover
129.125, 129.525, 130.025, 130.450, 131.550 and 131.725.
VDL. On the same three sites, we also run VDL SDR receivers and they cover 136.975, 136.650 and 136.800.
Further more, I have custom coded some deeper message decoding to try and filter the interesting words from the data stream. You can find these filtered messages here;
http://thebaldgeek.net:2880/ui/#!/1

This is the gateway website into the other decoded messages. Click the menu button on the top left of the browser bar and you can find the VDL, HF and Inmarsat messages.
The HF is currently tuned to 6559.
Inmarsat moves around a little depending on my mood. :). It uses a small dish TV sized dish.

I am happy to answer any questions. Hope you find it of interest if not of value.

EDIT: Very remiss of me to forget to mention the two people that feed my system data from LA and San Diego. The bulk of my ADSB data come from these helpful folks.
If any one else in the area would like to feed their data into the system, just let me know.

EDIT 2. Updated/corrected the ACARS and VDL frequencies I cover.
That works, the ground station listing is handy. Looks like you are pushing close to 40 ground stations. Would it be hard to say increase it to show 50 or 60, so you wouldn't miss some of the very rare ones ?

I see a ground station listing as 12404A. This is the first time I've ever seen a 12xxxA station ID. I'm guessing it's maybe in Mexico ? Any chance you can throw 12404A in the filter for a day or so and I can take a look at some complete messages and maybe figure out where it is ?

I notice you get the ground station on the old ACARS frequencies. I'm surprised you are not getting the VDL2 stations in PHX as well ? Hopefully you can tweak it to get them.

CPDLC works, actually it's better, so thanks. They are slowly implementing CPDLC use across the country, so it will be interesting to watch that space and see how it's going. Although it might be awhile as it looks like LA is one of the last Centers that will be getting it.

https://www.harris.com/sites/default/files/en-route-cpdlc-site-activation-map-20190111.pdf

I really appreciate you taking the time to do this, much appreciated. Sorry for all the questions, but while I got you.

I'm wondering about your HFDL reception of 6559. I've monitored this frequency on a few occasions and it is far busier than what you are picking up, I'd estimate you are getting about maybe 1% of the traffic. What sort of antenna and setup you are using ? Any chance you can throw CPDLC in the word filter there too please ?

AS
Small update.
I am now using a VFO plugin on SDR# for my Inmarsat receiver and thus am getting 4 times the amount of ACARS traffic from the satellite.
Sadly, I am still having a lot of trouble decoding position information, so cant plot the aircraft position on my multi-function/heat map.
We will keep working on it, but its good to know that we pretty have all ACARS data from this bird coming into the system now.

@baldgeek

Your web page monitoring and statistic pages are impressive. I noticed that you are monitoring VDL2 transmissions. Are you monitoring VDL2 traffic just to log and report the messages or do also use the VDL2 position reports to feed the VRS map.

if you are also plotting VDL2 position messages to VRS, how are do you pass and translate these messages to VRS?

Thank you for sharing your work and experiences.

Rich

Status
Not open for further replies.