ADSB Exchange: the cat is out of the bag

spacellamaman

However, as mentioned above, Musk elected not to use the PIA program and only list the aircraft under the LADD program which only keeps the aircraft out of the FAA database, and does not hide it's identity.

Out of curiosity, as you seem very sure of this, a couple of inquires:

--- How did you determine he elected to not use the progjram?

---What would he gain from doing that? Aside from less hassle/paperwork what would anyone gain from not being in the program?

Pretty sure I had another question but it escapes me now. thanks.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Out of curiosity, as you seem very sure of this, a couple of inquires:

--- How did you determine he elected to not use the progjram?

---What would he gain from doing that? Aside from less hassle/paperwork what would anyone gain from not being in the program?

Pretty sure I had another question but it escapes me now. thanks.

Media reports and FAA records, his aircraft is listed as LADD now, not PIA. I have no idea what he'd gain from it.

spacellamaman

Media reports and FAA records, his aircraft is listed as LADD now, not PIA. I have no idea what he'd gain from it.
cool deal I appreciate it. yeah the gain isn't obvious to me either.

you would think he would drop the dime for an invisibility suit or pay someone off. a fairly simple problem, somehow there is no workaround? weeeeeeiird.

n0esc

Feed Provider
PIA is restricted to US airspace only. All PIA aircraft can only operate domestic flights that start and end at domestic destinations and cannot even overfly international airspace without specific ATC rerouting. Not like the FAA isn't already all up in his business as far as SpaceX is concerned, and it would be incredibly easy to run afoul of the restrictions between Hawthorne CA and Brownsville TX since the best route is pretty much entirely over MX airspace.

n0esc

Feed Provider
Maybe on paper, but in the real world, those flights never enter Mexican airspace.

Probably mostly correct about that, but the possibility is there. I guess I picked a poor example. The flight to Qatar last week for the World Cup final would not have been possible and probably explains the most recent change dropping PIA. Flights over the Gulf from CA or TX to Florida also would not be allowed for a PIA registered aircraft. Flipping back through adsbexchange history shows a few flights that would be in violation if under PIA.

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
Probably mostly correct about that, but the possibility is there. I guess I picked a poor example. The flight to Qatar last week for the World Cup final would not have been possible and probably explains the most recent change dropping PIA. Flights over the Gulf from CA or TX to Florida also would not be allowed for a PIA registered aircraft. Flipping back through adsbexchange history shows a few flights that would be in violation if under PIA.

At the end of the day, they're going to be tracked regardless. There are only so many Gulfstream 6s flying out of the airports Elon flies out of, so PIA, changing the hex codes, etc., is only going to work so well for so long. Same thing with using a 3rd party call sign. Now instead of N628TS, it's DCM123 or some silly call sign, still the only G6 flying out of Brownsville. It's a little more difficult out of other airports, of course.

The real key is renting aircraft, fractional ownership, or even just using less high-profile aircraft. I bet there are a lot more Slowtation 525s or such flying out of Brownsville than G6s, but heaven forbid these rich folks don't fly on the latest and greatest.

PrivatelyJeff

Has more money than sense
Premium Subscriber
The real key is renting aircraft, fractional ownership, or even just using less high-profile aircraft.

That’s what I’ve been saying. I would have bought a rental company and just take whatever is available from the fleet at the moment or lease them through some boring sounding shell companies in various states or countries.