ADSB reception problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

KA2ZEY

I've had a terrible time getting ADBS decoding to work. I've tried SDRSharp -> PlanePlotter and ADBS# -> PlanePlotter and ADBS SCope. I'm using an RTL Ezcap device with stock antenna and have been able to get SDRSharp working great as well as DSDPlus. All of that is fine. When I try to decode ADB S or even AIS, the signals just barely trickle in. Once in a while I get one or two airplanes but that's it. I live in NYC on the 15th floor of an apartment building so it should be working great with the amount of air traffic in the area.

I'm also baffled by the maps in ADBS Scope. It always defaults to Europe. I did finally get the maps working in Plane Plotter.

Oh and I've also tried RTL1090 and I get some data but not much.

KA2ZEY

and regarding the Plane Plotter configuration, it gets really confusing with all of the port options. Which ones do I tick off? And since the port of ADBS Sharp is 47806, where do I enter that in PP? Also, in one set of in instructions it sets to tick off AVR but when I start PP, it says 'failed to find AVR'.

KA2ZEY

yeah that sounds like the same problem I'm having. ADBS Sharp is receiving bytes and VR is receiving data but maybe 1 or 2 aircraft once in a while. Was there every a solution?

KA2ZEY

Ok I just checked VR and it says it's tracked 9 aircraft so far. When I go to the server map, there's only 2 still there and I don't see them on the map.

KA2ZEY

In addition to this problem, I'm also not able to get Plane Plotter to decipher ACARS data from SDR Sharp. I have a nice loud squawk coming in and PP is receiving audio but nothing. Arrrrgg.

kma371

QRT
Ok I just checked VR and it says it's tracked 9 aircraft so far. When I go to the server map, there's only 2 still there and I don't see them on the map.

Not all aircraft transmit ADS-B so not all are mappable. You are likely seeing mode-s traffic if they are not on the map.

I would use RTL 1090 instead. Much easier program. It interfaces with planeplotter well.

Also the stock antenna isn't very good. You are probably going to need to buy an antenna actually tuned for ADS-B signals. Check out DPD antennas online.

KA2ZEY

Ah ha. So it seems like it might be all about the antenna. I'm surprised I'm getting such poor results given my altitude and location (NYC). Any clue about ACARS with SDR Sharp and Plane Plotter? I'm getting nothing. I'm using Virtual Audio Cable to communicate.

lotsofradios

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Couple items you might want to look at, the guy over hear has been doing some nice articles on Mode-S and ADS-B, you might want to look at Military Comms $20 ADSB Aircraft Radar System.

He recently put up an article on an antenna he built. I followed his directions and it improved my ADS-B reception by a considerable amount. He's antenna article is here Military Comms Homebrew Antenna for ADSB Mode-S systems.

He also has ADSB running on a Raspberry Pi Computer. I have ordered a Raspberry and can't wait to try some of his streaming stuff. He is streaming audio and have plans for an audio control system for mult-scanners. Here is the Raspberry ADSB and other articles Military Comms Raspberry Pi Scanner Projects

KA2ZEY

I'll check this stuff out. I'm also not getting any audio when running just ADSB sharp and Plane Plotter. There's nothing on the audio screen.

This stuff is so frustrating. Why is it working with Virtual Radar but not with Plane Plotter? I have all the audio stuff set to Virtual Audio Cable 1, etc. There should be audio coming through but nothing.

K8JSM

Make sure you're setting the proper ppm correction for your dongle in ADSB#. You can check what it should be by tuning to a known channel (such as a control channel for a local trunking system) in another software (such as SDR#) and setting it there first (to know what number you want to set in ADSB#).

(Also, it's ADS-B, or, Automatic Dependent Surveillance-Broadcast. Your title is in error.)

Status
Not open for further replies.