Advanced Planning First

Status
Not open for further replies.

prthorsenjr

Howdy,

It's been a long time sine I have been on here and I just recently dusted off my PSR-500 and upgraded the firmware and DSP software to the latest versions. Seeing that the Commomwealth has implemented the Stars system and it seems to be fully functional and seeing that I have been away from the hobby for a good while and want to get my configuration as right as I can I am asking for your help in planning out my scanner.

So here are the basics of what I have so far. I have a PSR-500, the Win500 software and a programming cable. It's all set up on my PC and I can download stuff from here and load it up on the scanner. Basically, I'm good to go.

I live and work here in Charlottesville / Albemarle County.

What I want to do is set up Stars (Statewide) if possible so that whereever I am driving I can hear them and my local stuff here in Charlottesville / Albemarle.

So, what is the best way to proceed?

I'd also like give back to the folks that help me with this project and I will be keeping notes of what I did and what I do so tht others may benefit from the same notes and instructions.

Thanks in advance,

Pete

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
Hi Pete,

STARS currently has 71 unique control channels (CC) and alt CC's (ACC) so you would need three TSYS's. If all 267 talkgroups are used * 3 = 821 + 3 * 10 = 851 blocks used of 1852 available. Each TSYS = 10 blocks. 1852-821 = 1031 available for other systems/tg and conventional freqs.

I too mostly use Win500 but PSREdit will import all three TSYS's plus three sets of of tg's if user so chooses.

prthorsenjr

Frank,

Thanks for the quick reply. It appears that I am on the right track. So, I need to make three TSYS's and then add in all the talk groups. Can all the talk groups be shared among the 3 TSYS's? I assume that they can.

I think that the remainder of what I have left (scanner memory wise) will more than accomodate what is left to program into the Charlottesville Albemarle area.

Is it okay if I write you next week with a few more questions and some more guidance?

Pete

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
You're on the correct track Pete. Longtime RR user gcgrotz lives in your area and can be very helpful also.

tglendye

Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Premium Subscriber
... Can all the talk groups be shared among the 3 TSYS's?...

Hi Pete,

You will have to create separate talk groups for each TYS. They can not be shared. That and the limited number of CC's per TYS are my only complaints about an otherwise fine scanner.

Good luck!

gcgrotz

You're on the correct track Pete. Longtime RR user gcgrotz lives in your area and can be very helpful also.

Thanks Frank, Sadly, I don't know much about the GRE scanners except for the one old PRO 97 I have for mostly mil-air. I take it when I'm down in your area.

Pete: well, welcome back. On my '396, I have set up STARS by the VSP divisions. That way you don't get bogged down by all the other stuff on there, and keep a limit on your talk groups since it can get out of control quickly.

Around town, I have a scan folder with just Bearden and High Peak (in Nelson County) CC's, and I have one that only has Fork Mtn - it gets a lot of activity from all over. Your own listening pattern will have to determine what you want. It can be a bit of work to get it going the way you want.

As for C'ville/Alb on 800 - make sure you have done whatever you need to do on the '500 so it will track the channels affected by re-banding.

Status
Not open for further replies.