• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Advanced Receiver Preamps

Status
Not open for further replies.

302HO

I am looking into an advanced receiver preamp model P30-1000/11VD.

Does this thing run off of a battery or do you have to run wire to it?

I have an Icom R20 i would like to use it on.

thank you

MB

Premium Subscriber
Great choice! I have a couple of Advanced Receiver preamps. They work great. I especially like the P150VDG, 150-160Mhz +24dB GaAsFET preamp. This thing is unbelievable on VHF-Hi. My scanners connected to this receive all kinds of transmissions that even my ICOM and Motorola VHF-Hi commercial radios will miss.

They are powered by a 12V power supply. You can purchase one from Advanced Receiver or from Radio Shack. You can also use a Radio Shack 12V DC car adapter. As with all adapters, just make sure you wire it with the correct polarity.

302HO

I only have read "good" about those amps. I wish you could run em' off of a 9 volt battery though. I have also read that they are "clean" amps too.

thanks guys.

fineshot1

302HO said:
I only have read "good" about those amps. I wish you could run em' off of a 9 volt battery though. I have also read that they are "clean" amps too.

thanks guys.
303HO - You did not mention where you are located. Just bear in mind if you are in a RF dense urban area while using a very high gain very wide banded preamp you could experience front end overload and or intermod in your portable scanners receiver.

Status
Not open for further replies.