Advice for a newby

Status
Not open for further replies.

jv_atc

I purchased a used handheld/portable (radio) scanner; RE2000 Alpha and I have no experience with scanners. It was purchased without an antenna. The manufacturer suggests a 50 ohm antenna. My question us how do I know which antenna will work to provided good CB/HAM/Air/Public. etc.; all-around service? Thank you in advance for your consideration.

J

russellmaher

KC1ANC
The first question I want to ask you is - do you want the antenna for base, mobile, or handheld use? Or all three?

If you just want to take the scanner in the handheld version, then scoot on down to your local Radio Shack and pick up the 800 MHz "rubber duck" for about $25.00. It won't do a super job of receiving all the frequencies that the 2000 A is capable of getting, but it should get you fair reception in your area.

The 2000 A has a BNC antenna mount so make sure that what ever antenna you decide to get for it uses a BNC connector.

Next question: has the scanner been programmed with the frequencies that your local agencies use for their radio communications? If not then you have some work to do.

Where are you located? What agencies do you want to hear? Give us some specifics, please.

Russell

jv_atc

A BIG thank you to Russell for pointing out my deficient post; it clearly reflects my inexperience with this matter.

My interest is in handheld use for EMS, Aircraft, HAM, UHF/VHF and CB. The radio has been (partially) programed so I am expecting to re-start that process and will collect instructions to do so. I am located in the East Bay (CA), between Oakland and San Jose. My confusion stems (in part) from seeing handheld antennas advertized with different MHz ratings, and the manufacturer makes no mention of specs for the re2000 a (that I could find) yet they did write 'make sure a replacement antenna is a 50 ohm'. Does the MHz reflect the radios ability to receive specific frequencies? How does ohm influence the MHz? My interest is in a good all-purpose antenna. Thanks again for helping me sort through this effort.

Jay

ab5r

Jay, give us a Make & Model number of your radio. That will give us an idea if, in fact,, you can received all that your wish to hear.

jv_atc

Dear ab5r,

The radio is a Racing Electronics, RE2000 Alpha. I am comparing the RS 20-283 with the RS 20-034. Thank you.

J

wtp

monitoring times has it

it seems you can receive cb,but, you might have to be really close with short antennas.
i also recommend the rs 800 antenna it does great on quite a bit
have fun

russellmaher

KC1ANC
Hello again Jay.

How goes the search and/or purchase of the antenna?

The model 20-283 is the rubber duck that I mentioned in my last post. I have used this one and had very good results with it.

The 20-034 isn't a valid model number on the Radio Shack site, so I can't comment on it. Did you get the model # right?

All the scanner antennas you will find on the net are going to be 50 ohms and that's what you want.

The numbers that you find in the description - such as, 30 - 50 MHz, 450 - 470 MHz, etc. is to let you know what frequencies the antenna will cover.

Just remember that whatever antenna you buy, it must have a BNC connector to mount onto your scanner.

Russell

jv_atc

Dear Russell,

Thank you for checking in. I purchased a 'All Band 25 - 1300 MHz Rubber Duck Antenna'. It is called ANT29, and due to arrive today. I'll be looking to to program some 'test' frequencies tonight. This is my first experience with a scanner so I am looking forward to seeing what I can do. What is the best way to program the radio? Where can I find available frequencies? Thanks again.

Jay

br0adband

For purely testing purposes, NOAA weather frequencies work pretty much anywhere in the US if that's where you happen to be. Typically you should find some signal on at least one of the following frequencies:

The next option would be to go to the RadioReference Database page at:

RadioReference.com - Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference Database

and search for your location (you can find other country info by using the drop down menu on the upper right side of that page), then "drill down" into the content by county or region or whatever till you get into the local area you live in and then find something related to local government like police/law enforcement, fire or EMS (Emergency Medical Services aka ambulances primarily), then perhaps local businesses of any kind, etc.

You'll find something soon enough. ;)

As for programming that particular receiver/scanner, it should have a manual with it to some degree, or perhaps Russell will respond soon to help. I've never heard of that particular one, never seen it either, so I can't help in that respect.

Good luck...

russellmaher

KC1ANC
Hello Jay:

It's time to give us an update.

Did the antenna arrive? Have you tested it out? Is it working? Are you getting any hits on the scanner yet? What are you hearing? Are you getting any CB, Ham, or Aircraft comms?

I checked out your area to see what types of systems are being used and it appears that the Public Services (Sheriff, EMS, Fire, etc.) are on a Trunking system known as P-25 Phase 1 and what that means to you is that your scanner isn't capable of monitoring this type of system. Sorry!

The other services you're interested in (AIR, CB, HAM) can be programmed into your scanner and that's good news.

So, let us know how it's going, please.

Russell

Status
Not open for further replies.