Advice for Antenna for ICOM Mobile F2821D Radio - 450-512 Band

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jandreoli2

Hello,

So new to the world of antennas. I am looking for a solution to use with my ICOM F2821D- Coming Monday- that operates 450-512 MHZ Band. I am looking for something that won't require my drilling into my car roof, if possible, if not, something that is minimally invasive. I have a GMC Acadia, (obviously not a patrol car) used for Search and Rescue (i am a volunteer in Los Angeles). We utilize our radios frequently, so I upgraded from just my portable to a new mobile radio.

Can anyone advise on minimally invasive or no-drilling antennas for my vehicle on the 450-512mhz area of UHF? Looking to preserve my vehicle.

Thanks so much!

firetaz834

I might recommend contacting a company called sti-co. They manufacture concealed antenna for undercover work. They might make a antenna that will take the place of your am-fm antenna and will serve dual-function. Also, you might consider an on-glass antenna for your purposes.

Here is a link to the sti-co site and the on-glass antenna page: Hope it helps

http://www.sti-co.com/antenna-products/covert-antenna/cellular-style-antennas

Last edited:

KI4VBR

Premium Subscriber
Making A Good Ground....

If you can find a spot, the roof/trunk lip mount might be a good bet for you. This way, you might get a little better grounding/bonding to your vehicle which will improve the overall performance of the antenna, bandwidth and optimize your radiation pattern. If you can't find a place for a lip mount, I would go to the mag mount next. I use a mag mount for UHF access on my TrailBlazer and get very good performance.

Best of luck,
Vince

Status
Not open for further replies.