Advice for Nascar fan

Status
Not open for further replies.

icantdrive55

After renting a scanner at the Nascar race last weekend, it is time to purchase my own. I am looking at the BC75XLT. One nice feature on the rented scanner was the simple way to switch between drivers - press car, enter the car's number and press car. With 10 banks of 30 numbers, I am guessing tuning into Martin Truex won't be a simple - button, enter 7 8, button - operation. Can someone briefly educate me on how the few cars I will follow plus the track announcer be entered/recalled on a model such as the BC75XLT? Thanks for your help.

K4EET

Chaplain
Hi icantdrive55,

I'm not a NASCAR expert so I don't know exactly how the drivers and announcer transmit. I have a rough idea but I don't want to answer your question incorrectly. Someone should be along shortly with the right answer for you.

What I did want to say is this: Welcome to Radio Reference! :)

Cheers! Dave

flythunderbird

Feed Provider
One nice feature on the rented scanner was the simple way to switch between drivers - press car, enter the car's number and press car. With 10 banks of 30 numbers, I am guessing tuning into Martin Truex won't be a simple - button, enter 7 8, button - operation.

If this is the type of access you want, you might be ahead to purchase one from Racing Electronics - granted, it will be more expensive than a BC75XLT. The RE scanners also have a direct-tune key combination for race announcers (MRN/PRN), as I'm sure you know.

I have no experience with the BC75XLT, so I am reluctant to make any programming recommendations there.

UnidenSupport

Uniden Representative
Uniden Representative
the bc75xlt or bc125at both would work pretty well. if you have a few channels in, you could simply press the hold key and use the knob to switch between channels.

you could put them in different banks and disable/activate banks as you need them, but this would be more cumbersome than the other option, but great if you want to put a number of frequencies on a single bank such as a driver and their pit crew.

we have some older models in the SportCat line that were specifically made to be used for races, but we have discontinued them, but you may find them on the secondary market.

icantdrive55

Thanks for the info. While at the track, I did inquire about the RE scanners. The 1000 model can not be programmed except by them at each race - no thanks. The 3000 has an over-the-air programming that is free once you pay the extra money up front. Also, I believe their scanners only handle car racing whereas the BC75XLT would allow access to weather and other info.

The best option would be to allow me to program the channel number. A bank of 30 numbers that I pick (no overlaps obviously) would be close to the ease of track scanners.

In any case, would people recommend the BC75XLT for a beginner? I saw one vendor who "enhanced" the audio level to allow for better hearing during racing. Is that an issue with a stock model or just a way to make a few bucks? (direct quote from the site - "Many Uniden Scanners do not have sufficient audio output at the headset connection")

flythunderbird

Feed Provider
Thanks for the info. While at the track, I did inquire about the RE scanners. The 1000 model can not be programmed except by them at each race - no thanks.

According to the RE 1000 manual, it can be user-programmed with car number, driver name, and frequency. See page three of the manual under 'Advanced Operation, Manual Programming.' It also supports PL codes.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1925/8269/files/MANUAL_RE_RE1000.pdf

Something that scans more than just racing is a different question and would merit looking at different units.

icantdrive55

Thanks Glenn for the link. Just repeating what the rep at the RE booth told me. She is a sales manager so I figured she was knowledgeable, or maybe trying to assure futures programming sales, idk. Rental costs could be applied to purchase but since we paid for the rental thru the track vs their booth, that deal was revoked. I was all set to get the 1000. Now that the cost matches other Uniden models (plus the misinformation on programming), I am leaning towards the 75 or maybe 125 models. Appreciate all the feedback.

kc2kth

Agreed, the bc125at is the better choice between the two radios. You'll also need to find some type of headset that provides noise isolation and possibly amplification so you'll actually be able to hear the audio during the race. I looked into this myself as I'm also a bit of a NASCAR nut. RE has radios with higher audio output to ensure the user can hear he drivers. I recall someone was selling new scanners modified with higher output formthe same purpose, catering directly to NASCAR fans.

Found it, racescanners.com has modified the bc125at for a few bucks over the price of an unmodified one. I'd start there if I were in the market for one.

My only complaint with the bc125at has nothing to do with NASCAR, but that unlike the non-US UBC125 it doesn't cover the entire milair band properly.

icantdrive55

Amazon has the model 125 for $92 while racescanner sells it for $132. Is the volume modification really worth that much extra money? I was planning on using my gun ear protection with some Apple earphones. Should that suffice for the standard unit? Also, does volume drop if splitters are used?

flythunderbird

Feed Provider
Amazon has the model 125 for $92 while racescanner sells it for $132. Is the volume modification really worth that much extra money? I was planning on using my gun ear protection with some Apple earphones. Should that suffice for the standard unit? Also, does volume drop if splitters are used?

That's exactly what I've done at races without issues - 24NRR shooter's muffs with cheap RadioShack earbuds plugged into an unmodified scanner, but then I tend to sit 20-25 rows or so up in the stands. It's a lot cheaper than buying dedicated headphones for listening. Some people go so far as to buy aviation headsets, but I'm way too cheap for that! :p

Sitting in the first few rows near the fence might necessitate a modified scanner or at least muffs with a higher NRR rating, I can't say for sure.

The splitter will cause a drop in volume.

Last edited:

captainmax1

Premium Subscriber
I will be at the Homestead-Miami Race this weekend and I will be taking my BCD436HP, SDS100, 125AT, Pro 137, Yaesu VX-8DR and a couple other radio's. During the race I use my RE FanVision Controller with RE Headphones with mic for talking to my friend during the race. https://racingelectronics.com/products/fv-gen3
https://racingelectronics.com/collections/headphones-accessories/products/gemini-5-hs
This is the only way to go for a Nascar or NHRA events. I like flythunderbird's suggestion or the RE 1000 but I would suggest the 125 AT if you want to program your own radio for races and be able to listen to other frequencies like Air, Marine, Ham, etc. When you buy the Nascar Program for $15, it includes the latest frequencies for all race teams that weekend.

Last edited:

icantdrive55

Thanks for everyone's advice. I ended up getting the BC125AT for Christmas. However, neither my desktop nor my laptop recognizes it when I try to use the Uniden software to program it. Any tricks I should try? Uniden support has not been helpful so far other than reading the installation steps to me over the phone. I've sent numerous screen captures showing a variety of errors. Are there other packages/drivers to try? The window to return the unit is closing quickly. Excitement is wearing off quickly.

UnidenSupport

Uniden Representative
Uniden Representative
Thanks for everyone's advice. I ended up getting the BC125AT for Christmas. However, neither my desktop nor my laptop recognizes it when I try to use the Uniden software to program it. Any tricks I should try? Uniden support has not been helpful so far other than reading the installation steps to me over the phone. I've sent numerous screen captures showing a variety of errors. Are there other packages/drivers to try? The window to return the unit is closing quickly. Excitement is wearing off quickly.
Generally I find it easier and quicker to manually program in the frequencies than to get the driver installed for that model, which sounds like the issue you are having. The online instructions are about all we have as a resource for installation, but as long as you are extracting all files and following them exactly, it generally works.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber

That's strange. I have connected a 125AT to 3 different computers and it was simply a matter of connecting the USB cable and turning the scanner on. What errors are you getting??

icantdrive55

That's strange. I have connected a 125AT to 3 different computers and it was simply a matter of connecting the USB cable and turning the scanner on. What errors are you getting??

While the computers do detect a device is connected, a range of errors occur. Here are a couple

WhenPlugingIn.png UpdateDriverError.png

Status
Not open for further replies.