Advice For Removing Sticky Substance From HT Case

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
Here’s a whole thread about this…

rk911

Rich
Premium Subscriber
sorry for the delay in reporting...there have been a few health issues in our home. i'm happy to report that, with a bit of vigorous scrubbing, whatever that sticky substance was has disappeared! about the only downside was the size of can of dematured alcohol I had to buy. but it was worth it. thanks to all of you who took the time to reply. it is truly appreciated.

GadgetGeek

Here’s a whole thread about this…

Yeah, my Eton E1 became a gooey mess. My brother was able to scrape the goo off with a credit card and lots of paper towels. It took a Long time to clean it.

Tim-B

Thank you guys for this thread. I had four of the old Cherokee brand FRS radios in a drawer at home and when I pulled them out they had that sticky residue all over them. It was like someone dipped them in thick pancake syrup and let most of the syrup run off with a thin coating left behind. I was thinking how . . in . . the . . ever . . livin . . [beep] . . am I going to get this stuff off. I didn't know it was as simple as denatured alcohol. I always have a gallon can of it around so I used some with an old rag and that did the trick. It took all of it off. It only took about twice as much effort as cleaning powder off gun parts with gun cleaning solvent. I did all 4 radios in about a half hour. I have used peanut butter on a cloth to remove sticker residue from a refrigerator before and that works well but you can't use peanut butter on a radio because of the speaker and mic holes.