Advice needed concerning radio link (bridge)

Status
Not open for further replies.

midzata

hi my name is mile, sorry if I haven't created this thread in a more appropriate section but I spent some time roaming through the sections, trying to figure it out and I couldn't do it.

i'm doing a research for my masters and seeing I have no experience in surveillance cameras and radio links, I need an advice on what kind of radio link to use for my project.

NOTE: i didn't just opened this thread blindly, as first I took a look around the web manufacturers web site, the forum and plenty other sites as well. however when a know little about a certain topic, i always ask help from people who are more competent than me and whose knowledge in this 'unknown area' is greater than mine.

USE CASE:
-i am using a PTZ IP camera that will be located on a mountain top (location A) and it's signal needs to be transmitted to a monitoring center (location B) where it will be viewed on a computer terminal. little explanation for those that are not familiar;
-IP means that the signal from the camera will travel through a computer network
-PTZ means that the camera can be remotely controlled from the computer terminal
-i plan to use Axis P5522-E camera, please google as i'm not allowed to post links

ISSUE:
-the camera will be connected to AP or router, which doesn't have the necessary range, because the distance between A and B is ~20 km (~13 miles)
-here i should mention that the communication should be in two directions, the first carrying the video signal from A to B, and the second carrying the movement controls for the camera moving from B to A

SOLUTION:
-the radio link should have an affordable price >> around 150$
-i tend to keep the price low as much as possible (duh...), but it is not always my priority. so if i get something i think is a nice feature for some extra money, i'll probably pay. but i'm always looking for a deal that will get me the best value for the money i'll pay
-if someone has an idea for an alternative solution where the distance between A and B is ~150 km (~9 miles), and the communication is established through several links using several radio station, it would be great if you could share it with me.

FINAL NOTE:
if you have better ideas please share.
if i'm using some terminology wrong please correct me.
if you know other place where i can ask for help, let me know in your replies
if you have other more appropriate manufactures in mind, please share

P.S. i do most of my shopping on ebay, but i think other specialized web sites would have better prices than ebay in this case. Please recommend me some websites that sell camera equipment and have low prices as well.

thanks. mile

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I've seen similar installations using 900MHz ISM band radios. They usually are 1 watt. If you keep your feed line very short, use low loss coax (think 1/2" Heliax), and a high gain antenna, you might get a few miles. Not sure if you'll get 13 miles, but it would be fun to experiment with.

You'd need a very high gain antenna, a Yagi with a lot of elements would be a good place to start. Keeping the feed line short, like maybe even mounting the radio right at the back of the antenna would help.

You should be able to pull that off for $150 at each end. I don't think you could do it for $150 total.

Look at some of the Ubiquiti units.
Antennas: something like this: 13 dBi 13 ELEMENT 900mhz YAGI ANTENNA CANOPY TRANGO WAVERIDER ALVARION | eBay

midzata

I've seen similar installations using 900MHz ISM band radios. They usually are 1 watt. If you keep your feed line very short, use low loss coax (think 1/2" Heliax), and a high gain antenna, you might get a few miles. Not sure if you'll get 13 miles, but it would be fun to experiment with.

You'd need a very high gain antenna, a Yagi with a lot of elements would be a good place to start. Keeping the feed line short, like maybe even mounting the radio right at the back of the antenna would help.

You should be able to pull that off for $150 at each end. I don't think you could do it for $150 total.

Look at some of the Ubiquiti units.
Antennas: something like this: 13 dBi 13 ELEMENT 900mhz YAGI ANTENNA CANOPY TRANGO WAVERIDER ALVARION | eBay

thanks for your reply.

with what kind of elements do i have to combine with the directional antenna? can you be more specific? i don't think i can remove the radio from the access point and put it on the antenna. also i can't use custom radio since the camera requires networking device (access point, router) in order to transfer the signal to a location where internet access is available. from there the camera will be made available for viewing and controlling on every computer that has internet access and appropriate browser software.

the transmission of the video signal is just part of the project, but not the focus of it, so i'm afraid i can't affor to spent a lot of time experiment with antennas. what i'm looking for is some practical straightforward solution, that i won't have to spend a lot of time on trying to figure it out how to make it work. the backhaul wireless link is one of the key aspects and i can't hope that it will function. it has to be robust and reliable

since i'm well aware that quality doesn't come cheap, you have to either spend money or time, which is the same thing, i'll cut back on other components on the system, so i can afford to spend more on the radio link.

so i guess you can put the issue this way:
output >> ethernet cable with video signal from the PTZ camera
full-duplex radio link solution >> 2 wireless AP + ???
input >> ethernet port of a networking device (AP, router) with internet access

do you, or anyone else for that matter has a better solution if the budget is greater that 300USD, 500 lets say? thanks again, mile

Status
Not open for further replies.