• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Advice Needed for Getting Back into CB Radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

rfunger

Hi all, could use some advice. Was into CB radio back in the 70s and am interested in getting back into it now - I have a daily commute of 100+ miles day/five days a week and would enjoy the interaction. I commute in a compact Chezy Cruze and am interested in a small, but capable unit with probably a magnetic mount antenna (I've haven't seen many good reviews of handheld units). Ideally I'd like SSB too but that might not be possible in a small unit. Any recommendations on radio/antenna and where the heck to put it in a Cruze? Thanks.

milkman21218

The Uniden Bearcat 980 SSB is a new SSB radio that may work for you. I like the Sirio pl 5000 antenna. After uses a Wilson 1000 & 5000 Mag mounts for many years. I found out about the Sirio antennas they give me about 5-10 miles more talking to other mobiles. They cost a few dollars more than the Wilsons. But the added range makes it worth it to me.

Uniden Bearcat 980 SSB - (Overview) New AM-SSB radio from Uniden - YouTube

Randdon

Milkman exactly the same outfit I have just purchased. I bought a Wilson 5000, then the next day after more research I bought the Sirio 5000 PL, just waiting for it to arrive now.

Rfunger, I have the same car and I am asking the same question. It is looking like it may have to go on the passenger side mounted to the centre console somehow. I haven't figured that one out yet. The pilots seat is too congested and the passenger side, due to size of the car is in easy reach. Otherwise I was thinking on the top of the dash some how, but that is for later on to look into, as it will not look good and may not be safe. I have the BC 980 and will be magnetically roof mounting as both antenna's are base loaded and need to be above the plain of the car.

If you come up with a good mounting location give us a holler. I have not had the time to sit in the car and hold it in the various proposed mounting locations to figure out fit, worst case it goes into my radio room ...

TheSpaceMan

SSB is definitely the way to go! I have also heard very good reports regarding that Sirio 5000. You might want to consider a quick disconnect mount for your radio, so you can easily detach it and bring it inside or put it into the trunk.

Randdon

Can't wait to get on lower 38 again! A quick connect mount is a good idea! But will probably leave it in most of the time. Not worried about theft where I live and I park right outside the office window. Just wondering how dumb that big whip will look like on top of a cruze eco ... lol

RC286

Grab a K40 with the trunk lip mount. My friend has had awesome luck with a trunk lip mount on his Malibu, should work just as good on the Cruze. As for interior, Ive never seen the inside of one of those cars. Post a couple pics and maybe we can find a space. Usually those center consoles are pretty hollow. ;) Though that depends on how invasive you want to be on your cars interior.

Do you have a radio in mind?

milkman21218

I will put my Sirio 5000 up against any K-40. I use to run K-40 and the Sirio will give me 5 or more miles over it. I've seen up to about 20 miles more over my Wilson 5000. While parked swapping them out. And the K-40's crack to easy for me.

Randdon

rfunger, just had a brain moment. In driving into work this morning I started looking around the cabin and had a bit of an epiphany. I am going to on the weekend look at mounting it in the little pocket in the lower drivers door! Its accessible in that location, viewable while driving and your not whacking your knees on it as if attempted to mount it under the dash on the drivers side. It is no longer in the passengers cockpit anymore and is somewhat hidden from view and would be dark enough in the day time to view the control panel.

What do you think??

JustLou

I will put my Sirio 5000 up against any K-40. I use to run K-40 and the Sirio will give me 5 or more miles over it. I've seen up to about 20 miles more over my Wilson 5000. While parked swapping them out. And the K-40's crack to easy for me.

+1
A Wilson 5000/1000 is much better than the K-40.

JustLou

I sure think so! And I find Sirio to be better than the Wilsons.

I actually misread your post about the Sirio. ;) Oh well. I have no experience with the Sirio, but do with the Wilsons and K40. The K40 has to be the most overrated antenna ever made.

Randdon

DNJradio just charged my credit card so the order has been entered, now its a waiting game!! When will my Sirio Performer 5000 PL be waiting at my door !!!

Also rfunger, CarID has bezel kits IF you wanted to change the standard radio from it's own format to 1 DIN format. Leaves room for a second box, so a CB or Scanner. But you need a few gadgets which run the cost up pretty close to $300 just to stick the radio in the dash!

rfunger

I'm still not sure where I'm going to put it yet - will have to check out the driver side door pocket. I'm thinking about merely putting it on the passenger seat (with either a cigarette plug-in adaptor or hard wired). But I'm leaning toward the Sirio 5000 antenna with a mag mount. My problem is bit more complicated, however, in that I also want to put in a 2m rig! May just have the passenger seat full of radios!

milkman21218

I'm still not sure where I'm going to put it yet - will have to check out the driver side door pocket. I'm thinking about merely putting it on the passenger seat (with either a cigarette plug-in adaptor or hard wired). But I'm leaning toward the Sirio 5000 antenna with a mag mount. My problem is bit more complicated, however, in that I also want to put in a 2m rig! May just have the passenger seat full of radios!

That is really a problem when you don't have enough space for radios. Maybe under the dash will help some. But seats do work. I wish you the best on finding the best location for your radios. Let us know how you like your Sirio.

Status
Not open for further replies.