Advice needed on Uniden purchase

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rico8458

Hello All:

I am new here, please dont flame me. will keep it short and simple. Question: which is the best, most economically price hand held scanner for a noob, rookie, new jack to scanning? I live in New York City. I am looking to buy a good new or used police scanner. have been to the Uniden web site, and e-bay, etc... surfing the web thing. but can the experienced experts here give me a friendly tip on the best bang for the dollar. my budget it tight, which is the best compromise? just want to listen to NYPD, NYFD, EMS, etc. withing the 5 boroughs of the city. I ordered a PRO340XL at e-bay, but after reading here i am not sure this will work as it is only a CB radio. any advise for a newbe scanner is appreciated. talking about hand held scanners. thanks.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Of those two, I would take the 246. While the 250 is a good scanner (I have one), it will not be supported through rebanding, which is on the horizon in the next year or two. The 246 will be supported. It's a good scanner. Nice convenient pocket size.

If you are interested in military aircraft comms as well, keep an eye out for a deal on a BR330T. It's the next step up from the 246. While it has the NASCAR logo on it, I bought one for the wideband coverage, not because of a sticker.

Neither the 246 nor the 330 will handle digital. Looks like most of NYC itself is still analog, with the exception of a couple of channels used for high rise fires (they are labeled APCO-25). The Federal agencies are mostly digital. But going digital, you'd add $250 or more to your costs. The 246 starts at about $215 new from online sources (just the scanner, antenna, ac adapter, & pc programming cable). The 330 is about $50 more. Programming software is available at additional cost (but not required) for either scanner, as are different aftermarket antennas, tailored for specific bands.

Depending on age & condition, & whether it comes with extra cost options like software or a case, a used unit can save you anywhere from $25 to 75 over the cost of the same package if purchased new (sometimes more).

Rico8458

Copy that. Excellent feedback mates. appreciate your kind assistance and support. can hardly wait to get my hands on one. once again thanks for your advice. very kind of both of you.

KC0UHS

Rico8458 said:
Copy that. Excellent feedback mates. appreciate your kind assistance and support. can hardly wait to get my hands on one. once again thanks for your advice. very kind of both of you.

save up and go with the BR330T. I just picked one up from Ebay (usi store) for $200.00 brand new, which is cheaper than most BC246T's new.

Status
Not open for further replies.