• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Advice needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

pyrotaz68

I'm looking for a fairly cheap VHF portable that I can use now, but is also narrow band ready. 5 watts, 4 to 16 channel. And easy to program. I am a paramedic and want to buy my own radio.

pyrotaz68

I've been looking online are Wouxun or Puxing decent radios? Any help would be great!! Thanks in advance!!

Nasby

I've seen some pretty good reviews on the two radios you mention. However, I would go with a Motorola HT-1000. Just make sure it is a "DN" version. The HT-1000 is perhaps the best portable ever made. You can find them for around $100.00 with battery, charger, etc. The only drawback is that you will have to obtain the software to program the radio or have a radio shop do it for you. But often on Ebay there are sellers who offer free programming with the sale of the radio.

pyrotaz68

Thanks for the reply. I like the ht1000 but am looking for a radio I can program myself. Any suggestions.

davidbever

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_8 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E401 Safari/6533.18.5)

Not sure my last response posted, so here is a repeat.

Consider a Bendix King EPH5102x (no other model number). Radio is keyboard programmable, narrowband, 210 channels, alpha display.

Call or write direct if you'd like to discuss.

David Bever
David.Bever@Verizon.net
310-697-9509
Comm Engineer / firefighter

krokus

Premium Subscriber
I'll just assume you have permission to use your own radio, avoiding that whole debate that tends to pop up.

I like my Kenwood TK-290, and I have used HT-1000s. They are both good radios.

Keep in mind, that to be legal with using this radio, it MUST be programmed with software, not a front-panel. (FCC Part 90 prohibits users from directly controlling the frequency, they can choose from channels.) Please note that you are able to have the software, and re-program as needed.

Kenwood is happy to sell you the software and cable, through a dealer. There are also overseas sources of cables that will fit most radios, if you look on Ebay.

KB5ILY

The Wouxun KG-UV6D Dual Band VHF/UHF 199 Channel Handheld Commercial Radio from Main Trading Company in Plano TX would get my vote. I am not connected with MTC in any way, just a satisfied customer.

Their website says in-part:
"
Ideal for Hospitals, EMS, Fire, Police, Tour Guides, FEMA, security patrols, business communications, schools, construction crews, universities, museums, churches, farms, event venues,and other entities that have FCC licensed frequencies. These radios have the 2.5 step for narrowband compliance. FCC Part 90 certified.

The KG-UV6D dual band handheld commercial transceiver provides up to 5 Watts of RF power on VHF and 4 Watts on UHF, along with high audio output of 500 mw

This dual band radio has a frequency range of 136-174, 420-470 MHz RX/TX. FM: 76-108 MHz (RX). This is not a lighter duty amateur version. This is the real deal.

This Radio is FCC certified for Part 90 Commercial use WVTWOUXUN04

The KG-UV6D features a long operating time with the included 1700 mAh high capacity Li-ion battery pack.

2.5 step for FCC 2013 true narrowband compliance
The single/dual band key can be software programmed on/off
Channel selector knob works when the keyboard is locked
199 memory channels
Uses all the same accessories as the other Wouxun dual band radios
Uses the same Heavy Duty antenna connector as other Wouxun models. (Not all 6D's are like this)
RPT: Additional programmable multifunctional key. You can change shift direction or reverse frequency, or activate fm radio, lamp, stopwatch or alarm.
Lockable S/D Button- With the radio in "single display" mode, and with the Keypad, MENU and S/D buttons locked,
the end user will only be able to turn the radio on/off, change channels and talk. This
is perfect for the users that are not radio savy

Standard Accessories Included with Every Radio

Dual band radio
Dual band antenna
1700 mAh high capacity li-ion battery pack
Intelligent desktop 3-4 hour rapid charger
Desktop charger AC power cord
Belt clip
Wrist strap
English user manual

MTC Warranty Policy

18 month limited warranty on the radio against defects in materials and workmanship
6 month limited warranty on the included radio battery and battery charger against defects in materials and workmanship

Standard Accessories Included with Every Radio

Dual band radio
Dual band antenna
1700 mAh high capacity li-ion battery pack
Intelligent desktop drop in 3-4 hour rapid charger
Desktop charger w AC power cord
Belt clip
Wrist strap
English user manual
"

pyrotaz68

Bought me a Wouxun KG-UV6D

KB5ILY I listened to you an bought me a Wouxun KG-UV6D from Main Trading Company. Very happy with the radio and MTC!! Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.