Advice needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

davenlr

Premium Subscriber
If you have, or they are planning to have, a digital system in your area, I would go with the Home Patrol 1. You can actually get the newer version which works with Apco phase 2 systems for very little more than Radio Shack is asking for the Home patrol 1. Check the net for dealers of the BCD536HP (mobile/base) or BCD436HP (hand held) scanners from Uniden. I have both, and they are amazing scanners. The 536HP has a few bugs to be worked out yet, but none of them affect the actual scanning.

I got my 536 from "abetterwaytobuy" and the 436 from beatcatwarehouse. Both provided exceptionally quick shipping and service, and were priced either lowest, or close to it for those scanners.

If you have, or they are planning to have, a digital system in your area, I would go with the Home Patrol 1. You can actually get the newer version which works with Apco phase 2 systems for very little more than Radio Shack is asking for the Home patrol 1. Check the net for dealers of the BCD536HP (mobile/base) or BCD436HP (hand held) scanners from Uniden. I have both, and they are amazing scanners. The 536HP has a few bugs to be worked out yet, but none of them affect the actual scanning.

I got my 536 from "abetterwaytobuy" and the 436 from beatcatwarehouse. Both provided exceptionally quick shipping and service, and were priced either lowest, or close to it for those scanners.

Can the 436HP be programmed with a similar software as win97? I'm used to the win97 interface

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
While these new Home Patrol type scanners can be programmed via software, it's very different from the bank technology used in programs like Win97.

Mike

WILSON43

Premium Subscriber
The Home Patrol 1 is a phenominal scanner. I just picked up a third one, re-furbished for $295.00 and it was like new.

Unless you need Phase 2, get an HP-1 and stay away from these new units until all the bugs are worked out of them, and they come down in price.

bdp278

Feed Provider
Just got my 436 about a month ago, very satisfied, much better than the HP1 as it's truly portable, and has good clear audio, and the enclosed Sentinel program makes custom programming very easy. Yes, there are still some bugs that have to be corrected, and I suggest you consider an additional 800 MHZ antenna if you plan to monitor mainly trunking systems ($25 from radio shack), also you'll need a AC USB charger (not included), and also a longer USB cable, as the one included is somewhat short if you like to use your laptop & easy chair to do your programming while you're 436 sits on the side table.

Hit_Factor

Can the 436HP be programmed with a similar software as win97? I'm used to the win97 interface

I used win500 on a PSR-500 (can't remember the RS equivalent), and there are a similar and very different aspects with the Sentinel software.

There was no way I could program the PSR-500 without win500, the 436, in my opinion, could be used without using the included sentinel software.

The software is really a reflection of the scanners capabilities. Of course the developer puts their own spin on the interface, but they can only do what the scanner can do.

Moving up to the 436 still had a learning curve, I was monitoring freqs moments after firing up the 436 for the first time, but it took me a month to learn how to put together favorites lists that are efficient. As I recall, it was the same way when I started with win500.

Unless you are looking for the virtual control interface, the sentinel software included with a 436/536 should handle all your needs. It's a little quirky here and there (so is win500), but you will learn how to use it by trying things or asking more question here.

I realize this isn't apples to apples comparison, but I hope it helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.