Advice on a 20m radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

caius11221

I'm looking for an advice for a quality 20m radio? Price is a factor but... I don't want to get a cheap POS. I understand that you get what you pay for when it comes to electronics. We want to be able to chat with family and friends that are 1000 miles away from where we live. Any info that you pass along would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
They don't make mono-band HF radios any more. Amateur HF rigs generally cover from 160 Meters to 10 meters, and often the 6 Meter VHF band.

Define 'quality' and state your budget. You can spend over $16,000 for an amateur HF rig that works on 20 Meters. :)

There are a couple of decent radios for under $1000. The Icom IC-718 goes for about $830 and the Yaesu FT-891 can be had for around $650. Most of the popular ham HF radios are in the $1200 to $3500 range.

Just a note.. you require a ham radio license in order to talk on 20 meters. In the US you'll need a general class license. In Canada you require a Basic with Honors ticket. License classes vary in other countries.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
There are 20 meter radios (usually kits) that do not cost a great deal of money. An example is https://www.ebay.com/itm/QRP-SDR-5W...138641?hash=item4b3d9b5a91:g:9TIAAOSwznVauLO7 although I am not necessarily recommending or condemning it. Check for "hf ham radio" on ebay or attend local hamfests for a reasonable used choice. Attending local ham meetings will also put you in touch with people that can help you get a start.

caius11221

They don't make mono-band HF radios any more. Amateur HF rigs generally cover from 160 Meters to 10 meters, and often the 6 Meter VHF band.

Define 'quality' and state your budget. You can spend over $16,000 for an amateur HF rig that works on 20 Meters. :)

There are a couple of decent radios for under $1000. The Icom IC-718 goes for about $830 and the Yaesu FT-891 can be had for around $650. Most of the popular ham HF radios are in the $1200 to $3500 range.

Just a note.. you require a ham radio license in order to talk on 20 meters. In the US you'll need a general class license. In Canada you require a Basic with Honors ticket. License classes vary in other countries.

Thanks for the info. I define quality as in something with parts that don’t crap out after a couple of uses. As far as budget goes, I’d say between $500 and $1000. My son and I are studying to get our general license this summer.

Respectfully

KM4VNP

Thanks for the info. I define quality as in something with parts that don’t crap out after a couple of uses. As far as budget goes, I’d say between $500 and $1000. My son and I are studying to get our general license this summer.

Respectfully
Look at the Yaseu FT-450D, it'll give you up to 100W on 160M thru 6M, and can be picked up new for around $700 - $800.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

KC5AKB

Do not limit your self to 20 m
Some of the great things about ham radio is the different bands and modes that you can use .
I would be glad to talk with you . W5YI : Resources for Amateur & Commercial Radio Crooked Corn Row Publishing HamTestOnline - Ham Radio Exam Courses and Practice Tests Home Tigertronics Home Page CUBEX Homepage
Welcome to Tennadyne, L.L.C. these links will gI've you a small look at some ham stuff .
You antenna is the key on hf . A $15.000,00 dollar radio and a junk antenna will not make you happy but a old scratched up $300 radio and a good antenna set up will give you hours of pleasure.
Size matters with antennas . Hi-Q Antennas mobile antenna you can also make antennas out of wire. Also a good 12 volt power supply I like a 30 amp or larger to have some cush room you have to look at the rated out put amps one 30 amp power supply might put out 22 amps under load and 25 amp might do the same .So look at specs before you buy.
If you can find a club or even talk to the hams where you plan on taking your test ask for advice.
Later,
Ric

wyShack

Premium Subscriber
While you are studying for your ticket, you will want to review propagation. I would get an 'all band' HF rig. You will want to switch bands to stay in contact. 20 is fine during daylight but after dark you will likely switch to 40 meters. As a mater of fact, if both of you have the room for a full size dipole on 40, you may find that band works 'around the clock' for you.

Good luck studying for your test

caius11221

Thanks to everyone for all your input. Looking at all the great suggestions, I feel that the Icom IC-718 is going to be our best option in both price and scalability. KC5AKB brought up a good point about the antenna as well.

bill4long

Thanks for the info. I define quality as in something with parts that don’t crap out after a couple of uses. As far as budget goes, I’d say between $500 and $1000. My son and I are studying to get our general license this summer.Respectfully

Save a little bit more and do yourself a favor and and get an Icom 7300. You can get them for $1200 now. You'll be glad you waited.

Status
Not open for further replies.