advice on a new scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

millerfour

During the last couple of months my mom has let me borrow her scanner, but now she would like it back. While I would have never thought that I would become addicted to it, I seem to have at least made it a sort of hobby. So now I am looking into getting one of my own, but after doing a bit of looking, I feel more lost than ever. Currently I am listening to the very basic model from radio shack. It seems to do very well and untill I started looking for a new one I didn't think I was missing out on much. So here is a list of my questions - any advice or answers would be so very help and apperciated.....

- I have not had the instruction book and am unclear on the difference between programing frequencies in and allowing the scanner to just scan ?
-- how do I program things in ?
-- where do I find the frequencies to program in?

- We live in Kearney == why do I sometimes get Kearney county and Minden ?

- Would I get more if I got a trunked scanner? I have no idea if Kearney uses that technology - does anyone know or know where I can find out? Would it increase my listening range to other areas?

Thanks so much and now I am wondering if I seem like as big of moron about this stuff as I feel like right now.......

Highpockets

During the last couple of months my mom has let me borrow her scanner, but now she would like it back. While I would have never thought that I would become addicted to it, I seem to have at least made it a sort of hobby. So now I am looking into getting one of my own, but after doing a bit of looking, I feel more lost than ever. Currently I am listening to the very basic model from radio shack. It seems to do very well and untill I started looking for a new one I didn't think I was missing out on much. So here is a list of my questions - any advice or answers would be so very help and apperciated.....

- I have not had the instruction book and am unclear on the difference between programing frequencies in and allowing the scanner to just scan ?
-- how do I program things in ?
-- where do I find the frequencies to program in?

- We live in Kearney == why do I sometimes get Kearney county and Minden ?

- Would I get more if I got a trunked scanner? I have no idea if Kearney uses that technology - does anyone know or know where I can find out? Would it increase my listening range to other areas?

Thanks so much and now I am wondering if I seem like as big of moron about this stuff as I feel like right now.......

You can look here at the frequencies, you didn't mention what scanner you are trying to program. You pick up Kearney and Minden because they are close enough for the scanner to pick up the signal.

http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?ctid=1660

ScanTheFreqs

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
you will be able to get away with buying the most basic of scanners. not only is there absolutely no trunking in your area, theres not even any 800mhz conventional, so really ANY new scanner will work. Out of all of the analog/conventional scanners ive ever owned, i have found the psr-100 to have the best range, which will help considerabley for listening to your county sheriff, and probably most everything in Kearney county since youre so close to it. that scanner is only $100 plus it comes with its own AC adapter, something no other handheld in its range comes with.

what kind of scanner are you using now?

millerfour

you will be able to get away with buying the most basic of scanners. not only is there absolutely no trunking in your area, theres not even any 800mhz conventional, so really ANY new scanner will work. Out of all of the analog/conventional scanners ive ever owned, i have found the psr-100 to have the best range, which will help considerabley for listening to your county sheriff, and probably most everything in Kearney county since youre so close to it. that scanner is only $100 plus it comes with its own AC adapter, something no other handheld in its range comes with.

what kind of scanner are you using now?

Thank you so much, for the info. Last night was a busy night in Kearney and my husband refered to the scanner as a "squack box", but I kept wondering if I was missing out on something. Then also, I kept getting not only Kearney county, but the GIPD.

My mom - who the scanner actually belongs to - recently moved and is looking in boxes for the manual. But the sticker on the back of the scanner says "Radio Shack 2018" and my mom thinks she has had it four or maybe five years.

If we find the manual and I can program frequencies into it, will I still get KPD and BCSD, but be able to block out Kearney county/Minden and GIPD?

Highpockets

Thank you so much, for the info. Last night was a busy night in Kearney and my husband refered to the scanner as a "squack box", but I kept wondering if I was missing out on something. Then also, I kept getting not only Kearney county, but the GIPD.

My mom - who the scanner actually belongs to - recently moved and is looking in boxes for the manual. But the sticker on the back of the scanner says "Radio Shack 2018" and my mom thinks she has had it four or maybe five years.

If we find the manual and I can program frequencies into it, will I still get KPD and BCSD, but be able to block out Kearney county/Minden and GIPD?

Maybe this will help.

http://support.radioshack.com/support_electronics/doc69/69290.pdf

ScanTheFreqs

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned

elephant

During the last couple of months my mom has let me borrow her scanner, but now she would like it back. While I would have never thought that I would become addicted to it, I seem to have at least made it a sort of hobby. .

Millerfour, I feel so sorry for you. Having an addiction, especially one that soneone else forced upon you, is no fun. If you think you can go and find a support group, or a doctor to help you end your addiction, well,
FORGET IT!!!!! There is no cure! You are hooked like the rest of us, so pull up your boot straps, 'cause you're in for a hell of a fun ride! :)

Here's something you may want to consider when purchasing a scanner. Since most everything in your part of the the state is in the lower bands, you might want to look at a portable scanner. My portable when I lived in Norfolk worked very well, even in the car, without additional outdoor antenna's. It's a lot of fun to take the scanner with you and never miss out. A portable would have been a great asset last week when those horrible storms hit. My prayers still go out to everyone. Getting info directly from the storm spotters gives you a little heads up over the NOAA wx radio or commercial radio.

Get yourself a scanner that you can "grow" into. You are always going to find interesting things to listen to that aren't in the RR Database. And, check out the pawn shops or yard sales. Many of us have found some great deals on scanners.

Welcome to our wacky world. This is going to be a great learning experience for you. And remember, there is no cure for your new addiction.

Doug

millerfour

It's off printing at Office Max as I type.... (our printer sucks at the moment). That will be very helpful.

My mom lived in a small town of 800 people and got the scanner mostly for the bad weather. You could pick up the weather spotters and know what was going on right away. We live in a less than upstanding part of Kearney and the police are here a lot and I thought that since mom was moving I would borrow it to see what was going on. Honestly I didn't think I would enjoy it so much. But now I am really having trouble with the idea of giving it back. Not only do I know what kind of real "crime" is going on, but the detention center and campus cops get picked up sometime and mostly it's just funny - they are out of Doritos in the Jail !!! But I'm probably preaching to the chior .......

Thanks for the help and it seems like I may be more into this than I thought.

obijohn

Those are the best conversations to hear! I love it when people think they're not being listened too, or under the idea they can't be. ;)

Last I knew, Buffalo County was on 453.425 MHz. Most of their transmissions were in the clear. They use simple analog frequency voice inversion encryption for scrambling. It is very easy to decode.

Actually, I have been able to hear them quite a bit recently here in Omaha, due to tropospheric ducting.

millerfour

finally, I am getting my own scanner. After poking around here and looking at scanners I found that I really know very little. But for now I am just having fun and learning the basics. So I thougth it best to spend very little and get a "starter" scanner. For $50 on Ebay I got a uniden sc150. It's older but will work in my area and if something happens to it, I'm not out much. The manual wasn't included, so I found it on-line, sent it to Office Max, then by the end of the week when the scanner should be here I will be all ready to get to work. Other than my dogs I really don't have a hobby, so this is exciting.

Status
Not open for further replies.