Advice on a new Scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

FFAndy

Im looking to get a new scanner for christmas this year. There are a a few new radio systems out there since I last bought a new scanner. Im currently using a Radio Shack Pro 95. I was happy with it but its old and beat up from lots of use. To keep this short most of the departments around me are using Motorola Type II Smartnet. What would be a good scanner to buy that wont break my wallet so I can hear departments using this type of system? Thanks

N8IAA

Im looking to get a new scanner for christmas this year. There are a a few new radio systems out there since I last bought a new scanner. Im currently using a Radio Shack Pro 95. I was happy with it but its old and beat up from lots of use. To keep this short most of the departments around me are using Motorola Type II Smartnet. What would be a good scanner to buy that wont break my wallet so I can hear departments using this type of system? Thanks

Ohio MARCS is P-25 digital, so, a digital scanner will be needed for listening to the state stuff. You didn't mention where you are located, so, we can't help point you in the right direction for a scanner--analog or digital:)
Larry

hoser147

You need to be looking at a digital scanner and unfortunately there really isn't a real cheap one out there. Even used units are bringing pretty good $$. Right now most are in the $500 range for a new one and 200 range for a used unit. Keep an eye out for Radio Shack to have a sale on the 106 (presuming you want to stick with a handheld)and you can get one in the $300 range. Lots of places in Ohio have went digital in the last little bit. It would help quite a bit if you would list your County or City (helps us help you) Having used both GRE (RS brand) and Unidens both to monitor MARCSI would suggest going with one of the GRE models 500, or a RS Pro 106 for newer models or a Pro 96 used which is an older model. If you would like to read about them check out the Wiki Category:Digital Scanners - The RadioReference Wiki. Hope this helps ya.........

Last edited:

mciupa

FFAndy

I actually bought a BC 396XT and I am happy with it. It was a little more then I hoped to spend on a scanner but to be able to hear all the departments around me again its worth it. Thanks to everyone and there advise

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
I'd get the PSR-300 for analog and the PSR-500 for digital. The PSR-400 is the base version of the '300 and the '600 is the base version of the '500.

The PRO-164 ('163) is the same scanner as the '300 but with the RS brand. I like the GRE brand better because of faster service and an overall better price. The PRO-106 ('197) is the same scanner as the '500 but with the RS brand.

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
Glad to hear your happy with it...
You have a premium membership so hopefully your taking advantage of mporting directly from radioreference into your software of choice

I actually bought a BC 396XT and I am happy with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.