Advice on repeater-capable GMRS handhelds

Status
Not open for further replies.

WRDK665

Hi, everyone. So I've been bitten by the radio bug and decided to start off by getting my GMRS license. Now I'm ready to start off by buying some handhelds for me and the family, but I want to be able to take advantage of the repeaters in our area. Can anyone recommend a repeater-capable GMRS radio? I was almost set on the Midland GXT1000VP4, until I realized it's not repeater capable.

I did look around the forum before asking, and I get the sense that maybe I should be looking on eBay for some older GMRS radios. Is it best to just avoid bubble packs and FRS/GMRS combos altogether? I was also looking at a Btech that's repeater capable, but I'm kind of allergic to anything made in China.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
I use BTech. Yes, they are Chinese made, but so is your phone, your shoes, and just about everything you can buy in a Walmart. They are reasonably good radios. FCC type accepted.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I did look around the forum before asking, and I get the sense that maybe I should be looking on eBay for some older GMRS radios. Is it best to just avoid bubble packs and FRS/GMRS combos altogether? I was also looking at a Btech that's repeater capable, but I'm kind of allergic to anything made in China.

There are a couple of directions you can go, depends on what your budget is, what you are ultimately looking for, and what your tolerance is for quality.

As for repeaters, do understand that they are considered private property, and an owner can restrict usage to specific individuals. Before you invest in equipment, make sure you have talked to the repeater owners and have permission to access them. Some repeaters are advertised as "open", but it's still a good idea to talk to the owner.

To be fully legal on GMRS, radios need to have FCC Part 95 certifications. Some choose to ignore this and will use radios without it. Your decision...

The low tier consumer stuff is probably best avoided unless your budget is tight. Any radio with FRS capability is going to be severely limited by the required non-removable antenna. Most of these radios are designed to be compact, and consumers don't understand the importance of a good antenna.

As for good radios, I'm in the same train of thought you are, I avoid the cheap Chinese radios. While they can be an easy way to access the hobby, you are getting exactly what you are paying for, essentially a disposable radio. That's fine if that's what you want, but if you are investing hard earned money into equipment, there are much better options.

Buying used is a good option, but you -really- need to fully understand what you are buying into. Some manufacturers have multiple UHF radio models to cover different segements of the band. You can't always buy a "UHF" radio and have it work on GMRS frequencies. Fully understand the differences in models before you purchase.

Back when I was active on GMRS (before everyone in the family got their amateur license) I used a lot of commercial UHF radios. I had a number of Icom UHF portables and mobiles. I had a few Motorola, and eventually a few Kenwood. The benefit to these radios is that they are designed to be used in a commercial/public safety/industrial application, not a consumer toy. They will be more durable, repairable, and often give you a lot more options for features, accessories, etc.
Drawback is that they are not "pre-programmed" radios. You will need to have programming software, cables and a solid understanding of how to properly program a professional radio. It's not impossible, but it's also not easy for the newcomer. Programming software and cables can be expensive, so like I said above, make sure you fully understand everything you are getting into.

So, a lot depends on your budget and your technical comfort level. There are some good options from Icom and Kenwood. Most of the new Motorola stuff does not have Part 95 certifications.

WRDK665

Thanks, mmckenna, for the very thorough reply -- that's exactly what I need to get started. I do intend to get in touch with the owner of our local repeaters. As for radios, I'm still doing my research, but if I'm going to jump into the hobby, I figure I might as well look for quality equipment than get something cheap only to replace it down the road. The technical aspect is something I'll need to get up to speed on, but it's not beyond me.

And yeah, I do try to avoid cheap Chinese everything, both on ethical grounds and because I'd rather pay once for quality than 10 times over for something cheap that needs to keep being replaced. It's nearly impossible these days, of course, but I do what I can.

Would there be any advantage to waiting until after 9/30, when the FCC rules change regarding FRS/GMRS devices? I don't really want to wait that long, but I'm wondering if the change will spur a greater variety of GMRS-only device choices.

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
Would there be any advantage to waiting until after 9/30, when the FCC rules change regarding FRS/GMRS devices? I don't really want to wait that long, but I'm wondering if the change will spur a greater variety of GMRS-only device choices.

The Part 95 rules have already changed, and the prohibition on manufacturing or selling equipment that operates in more than one Part 95 service was, I believe, intended primarily for certain imported radios that operated on FRS, GMRS, and MURS frequencies. I don't see any advantage to waiting. The GMRS-specific market is very small and we don't see very many new GMRS-specific products.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø

Rules were already changed. I'm not aware of anything else going on.

I doubt you'll see much in the way of decent GMRS only radios. The flood of Cheap Chinese Radios (CCR's) would make it unlikely you'll see any really good gear hit the market.

If you are looking for a decent used portable, check out the Kenwood TK-3180. They were only recently discontinued, but there's a ton of them out there and a lot ending up on the used market. They have Part 95 certifications, so good for GMRS.
The TK-8180 is the mobile version, same software, same functions, 45 watts. Add a 12 volt power supply and base antenna, and you've got a great base station. Add one to your vehicle, and you've got a solid mobile.

Lots of other options out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.