Advice on SDS200 and Baltimore County PD...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erik71

In SE Baltimore County and seriously considering pulling the (big) trigger on a new receiver. Specifically, the SDS200. Where can find info on what upgrades (ProVoice, DMR, NXDN) are needed? Will the "Type in your zip code" get me going without them? My main concern is with the BCPD and FD. Thanks for any help.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
In SE Baltimore County and seriously considering pulling the (big) trigger on a new receiver. Specifically, the SDS200. Where can find info on what upgrades (ProVoice, DMR, NXDN) are needed? Will the "Type in your zip code" get me going without them? My main concern is with the BCPD and FD. Thanks for any help.
You will not need those protocol upgrades to monitor any of the public safety entities in the Baltimore area - Baltimore County, Baltimore City, and Anne Arundel County all use some flavor of Motorola P25 technology, and the SDS series of radios are capable of receiving P25 out of the box.

If you still want to purchase those protocols, you buy them directly from Uniden. They are already installed in the radio; Uniden sells you a licensing key to unlock the capability. Basically you register the radio with Uniden, verify the unit's ESN on the site - then you have the option to buy the protocols if you need them (which you do not.)

myUniden - Customer Product Registration and Support Area

Erik71

You will not need those protocol upgrades to monitor any of the public safety entities in the Baltimore area - Baltimore County, Baltimore City, and Anne Arundel County all use some flavor of Motorola P25 technology, and the SDS series of radios are capable of receiving P25 out of the box.

If you still want to purchase those protocols, you buy them directly from Uniden. They are already installed in the radio; Uniden sells you a licensing key to unlock the capability. Basically you register the radio with Uniden, verify the unit's ESN on the site - then you have the option to buy the protocols if you need them (which you do not.)

myUniden - Customer Product Registration and Support Area
I've been looking at the BCD996P2 as well. Can you tell me if that would do what I need as well--Baltimore Count PD and FD? (The "boss" likes that it's a bit less $) I really appreciate the help. Just want to be certain.

tvengr

Well Known Member
The 996P2 will receive Baltimore Co. However, you may have simulcast problems depending on your location. For that reason, I suggest that you go with the SDS200.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I've been looking at the BCD996P2 as well. Can you tell me if that would do what I need as well--Baltimore Count PD and FD? (The "boss" likes that it's a bit less $) I really appreciate the help. Just want to be certain.

I would NOT recommend the BCD996P2 to be used to monitor any P25 simulcast system, and all the area public safety systems are simulcast. Although the 996P2 is technically capable of receiving / decoding P25 transmissions, in practice when using on the Baltimore City and particularly the Baltimore County system, they have proven to be unsatisfactory. Most people find that a Uniden SDS series scanner or a Unication pager performs much better than older scanners like the 996P2 or any of the Whistlers on area P25 systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.