Advice on Trunking Scanner(s)

Status
Not open for further replies.

heatman12

Premium Subscriber
I am trying to make a decision on which to buy. The Pro 106, PSR 500, or PSR 800. I am assuming the only difference between the first two and the 800 is that one has the SD card and the other two you have to manually program. I have read that the 106 is difficult to program but have found nothing on the 500. Looking at money, the 500 and 106 are cheaper but I want to make sure the quality of what I am recieving is great. Anyone have any advice on these scanners?

trap5858

Premium Subscriber
The 106 and the 500 are essentially the same radio with just a different faceplate on it. Both are fairly easy to program with available software. The software is available on line with a free 30 day trial.

I have a 106 and love it. The possible advantage of the 800 over either of the others is having the database built in and just select where you want to listen depending on your location.

Much of the decision depends on how involved you want to be in the process- for most, selecting and designing the systems scanned is part of the fun.

heatman12

Premium Subscriber
Thanks

Thank you for your reply. The only other thing that I am wondering about is, I am wanting to listen to the Ohio State Patrol but they are on the MARCS system which is digital and has a bunch of frequencies to input.

SCPD

QRT
I have a GRE PSR500 and wouldn't trade it for anything. The only problem I have had with it is keypad wear due to usage .. other than that it is a great scanner.

heatman12

Premium Subscriber
Thank you for your reply. Looks like I have a difficult decision to make. May boil down to price.

N0WEF

Premium Subscriber
Having(and loving) all three, I tend to recommend the 800. The only time the 500 beats it, is if you are one of those people who constantly changes things when you are out and about, and want to change things on the fly.

I could list the pro's of the 800 over the others(Like X2-TDMA, entire DB, Etc) but it really comes down to one thing.... The recording feature! Have you ever tried to describe a pursuit or shots fired call you heard? It never has the umph that your friends hearing it does. I have to say watching them flinch, or go "Oh-S#!+!!" is really kinda cool, and has gotten a number of them to get into the hobby.

SCPD

QRT
Having(and loving) all three, I tend to recommend the 800. The only time the 500 beats it, is if you are one of those people who constantly changes things when you are out and about, and want to change things on the fly.

I love the 800 as well. It is all about the recording feature. For me .. my perfect scanner would be the PSR500 with the record feature / sd card of the 800 added. I don't really do many changes on my programming on the fly, but I like to be able to toggle scanlists rapidly, which is easier on the 500 than the 800.

Maybe GRE will do this for us in an upcoming model. We can only hope they are listening.

N0WEF

Premium Subscriber
I For me .. my perfect scanner would be the PSR500 with the record feature / sd card of the 800 added.

I don't know how many times I've said that same exact thing myself!! :)

Have a great night Edmscan!

ratboy

Premium Subscriber
I agree, the PSR-500/106 with the SD card and record would be almost perfect. A little more solid case, along with a decent, split ring BNC, and it would be. My PSR-800 was a total disappointment, and I didn't keep it long at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.