Advice wanted for travel wide band receiver.

patrickchampa

Heres what I'm looking for and could use others input. I'm looking for a somewhat specific receiver for future travel abroad via plane, cruise ship, and so on. I have over 40 years of commo experience in military, private and ham, so I know what features I'm looking for but could use help with finding that select receiver. Price isn't too much of an issue, and I may already own the ideal receiver but will like others input.

Here are my requirements.
*Must be portable and run off it's own battery (internal or pack)
*Ideally to cover long wave to 500mHz
*Must be tunable for dx in various steps. Direct entry scanners are a no go.
*Should have programmable memory.
*Can be an SDR but must use android.
*Should have antenna inputs (sma, 3.5mm ideally).
*User friendly and easy set up (more of a relative question based on experience.

I have no want to transmit and having a trx may cause issues in some cases. My receiver is strictly for hobby purposes. I realize that portable wide band receivers isn't the best solution for all situations and have many weaknesses. Hopefully by reaching out we can find a receiver that will be the best compromise.

Here are the receivers I have already which may fit the bill and to give you a better idea what I'm looking for.

*Malachite (clone)
*GSG Hackrf portapack
*Alinco DJ-X11 and 10
*Nooelec Sdr w/ ham it up converter (not may favorite setup
*Others that I can't remember but similar to above.

I would like to have as one unit but realize a HF/SWL receiver with separate VHF/UHF receiver my be the best solution for overall receive quality.

Thanks for your input.

patrickchampa

I've looked at the R20 but never used one in person. Performance wise how does it compare to the DJ-X11? I've only seen on head to head comparison where it seems the Icom had some advantages over the Alinco, but they were both using different antennas of unknown type and was in a different language. Would love to find a portable SDR but have not found one with worthy wide band coverage, but do like them as part of a dedicated purpose built receiver... But still considering them

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
Some cruise lines prohibit wide band receivers and scanners. Some foreign countries restrict coverage of receivers. Carnival cruise lines prohibit wide band receivers but allow ham radios. Yet some ham radios have wide band receivers. Remember that 99% of cruise lines are not US flag vessels and you are governed by the laws of the country of registry. On land some countries restrict receivers and scanners. Check before you go.

SurgePGH

Premium Subscriber
If digital voice modes aren't important to you go with the Icom IC-R20. Fits most of your requirements (although a BNC input). Medium wave, SWL & airband receive is superb even with stock telescopic antenna
How does the R20 stack up against the R30? I noticed the R20 was discontinued. Is it worth buying a used R20 or a new R30?

EDIT: I can't find an R30 either. ugh

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
The Icom IC-R30 is out of production, but coverage is 0.1 to 3304.999 MHz. It has a Li-ion battery and an AA battery case is available. Includes AM, WFM, USB, LSB, CW, D-Star, NXDN and GPS. Manuals can be downloaded from Icom for more detail.

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
Belka if HF only. Great little receiver. Am in Cozumel now using it at night. But the R30 is the best handheld with plenty of options. No DMR though.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
What about the Kenwood TH-F6 or F7? (Same base radio, F6 is for North America (maybe USA specifically), the F7 is for the rest of the world.)

They are out of production, but should be affordable. There is a battery case available, that allows use of AA batteries.

patrickchampa

Ultimately I'm going with the Icom IC-R30 that was introduced to me by a fellow forum member. The IC-R30 was totally off my radar when I first started searching. I was considering the Alinco DJ-X11 which I already owned, various SDR set ups for an Android device. The IC-R30 more than satisfies my original requirements, it's everything I could want in a portable wide band receiver, good battery life, easy to use, sounds good, and plenty of memory and functionality for my travelling hobby needs.
Search complete!

All that said you guys mentioned a bunch of great rigs like the belka and Kenwoods. So far I haven't had any issues brings receivers aboard cruise ships. I always make sure the cruise line knows ahead of time, and that the radio is only a receiver. Our next cruise is from Seattle to Alaska and the line already knows I'm bring one.

Thanks for all the help guys, greatly appreciated.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
The receive on my Icom R30 is better than my Kenwood TH-F6A and D74A transceivers in many different ways. Plus, I enjoy remote control of the R30 as well.

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
Good choice on the R30. I think it’s the best handheld on the market. Been looking for a second one. There has been some posted for sale on RR but they are price gouging. Keep hunting until you find one. It’s worth it. I did buy a Belka to take on vacations outside the USA as I don’t want to chance getting it confiscated. The Belka is a sweet HF rig in a small box.

palmerjrusa

Heres what I'm looking for and could use others input. I'm looking for a somewhat specific receiver for future travel abroad via plane, cruise ship, and so on. I have over 40 years of commo experience in military, private and ham, so I know what features I'm looking for but could use help with finding that select receiver. Price isn't too much of an issue, and I may already own the ideal receiver but will like others input.

*User friendly and easy set up (more of a relative question based on experience.

I have no want to transmit and having a trx may cause issues in some cases. My receiver is strictly for hobby purposes. I realize that portable wide band receivers isn't the best solution for all situations and have many weaknesses. Hopefully by reaching out we can find a receiver that will be the best compromise.

Here are the receivers I have already which may fit the bill and to give you a better idea what I'm looking for.

*Malachite (clone)
*GSG Hackrf portapack
*Alinco DJ-X11 and 10

I would like to have as one unit but realize a HF/SWL receiver with separate VHF/UHF receiver my be the best solution for overall receive quality.

Thanks for your input.

As per the other suggestions the IC-R30 is the best wideband receiver ever, bought two of them.

Another possibility is the AOR AR-DV10, however, there are known issues with this radio (I own one).

Alinco has a new wideband radio about to be released, you might want to check that one out:

palmerjrusa

*Malachite (clone)
*GSG Hackrf portapack
*Alinco DJ-X11 and 10

Thanks for your input.

I'd look at the Icom IC-R6, analog reception only, but it's a terrific little wideband receiver, very sensitive, and still in production.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
That Alinco DJ-X100 is an odd one and an inadequate recommendation based on the OP's request.
1. Cost will be 100,000 Yen / around $740 USD (Better off buying an Icom R30)
2. 30-470 MHz RX coverage and nowhere near down to the requested 500 kHz
3. No SSB, P25, and it will not RX Yaesu Fusion VW mode

The Mil Air band 225-400 is missing chunks as well. It appears it may be released any day now in April, but in Japan. Unsure if it will see the light of day outside of Japan. I would buy one for $200, maybe $300, but I have a problem and that is the first step toward recovery. ;)

krtz07

Feed Provider
Would recommend the R30 hands down but unfortunately these aren't in production anymore. If ICOM were to make a R40 with trunk tracking capability. I'd beat there would be lines at every radio outlet to get one.

patrickchampa

As per the other suggestions the IC-R30 is the best wideband receiver ever, bought two of them.

Another possibility is the AOR AR-DV10, however, there are known issues with this radio (I own one).

Alinco has a new wideband radio about to be released, you might want to check that one out:

That Alinco DJ-X100 is an odd one and an inadequate recommendation based on the OP's request.
1. Cost will be 100,000 Yen / around $740 USD (Better off buying an Icom R30)
2. 30-470 MHz RX coverage and nowhere near down to the requested 500 kHz
3. No SSB, P25, and it will not RX Yaesu Fusion VW mode

The Mil Air band 225-400 is missing chunks as well. It appears it may be released any day now in April, but in Japan. Unsure if it will see the light of day outside of Japan. I would buy one for $200, maybe $300, but I have a problem and that is the first step toward recovery. ;)
The Alinco sounds like an interesting rx and would definitely check it out if ever available.

patrickchampa

I'd look at the Icom IC-R6, analog reception only, but it's a terrific little wideband receiver, very sensitive, and still in production.
Tried the R6 that a friend purchased middle of last year. I was very happy with is receive performance. Unfortunately I didn't like it's user controls, and found it unacceptable for dxing, band searching, user input. Also once hooked up to an external HF antenna (for many sorts) it over loaded easily.

Ultimately that was the radio that caused me to dis regard Icom handle receivers and over look the R20 & R30, and purchase the DJ-X11 which for the most part meety needs but still edged out by the R30.

All that said I don't think the R6 is bad, just not at all suited to my needs. I feel it's more for use solely with pre computer programmed frequencies, and used with it's stock or similar antenna.

Typically I'd be better suited with a proper desktop or mobile receiver with a larger display and proper tuning knob.