Advice with power button not turning scanner off

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveBilbao

Any advice would be appreciated. I can turn the scanner on (AOR 8200 MKII) with batteries or power adapter, but the only way to turn the scanner off is to remove a battery. The power button will not shut the scanner off. Does anyone have suggestions why this is happening and how I might fix it. Thanks in advance.

AOR-262

@SteveBilbao

My suggestion/idea is this ...

The keypad I believe is coated with carbide; I read about that when I was doing some work on my AOR 8000. There is a possibility that the carbide coating has slightly diminished and is not making contact with the circuit board; hence the key not working. The way to test that (a job not for the inexperienced) is to open the device up and manually create a short circuit on the board where the key is located. If that works, you know it's the key at fault. Not sure about re-coating the key with carbide. Best bet is to look on eBay for a spare keypad. Don't know if there's a difference in the Mk 1 and Mk 2 keypad but here's a Mk 1 ...

AR-8200MK1 Keyboard New 8200.KEY.PAD aor AR8200MK1 Key Pad - Last Units 7579328993484 | eBay

SteveBilbao

Thanks for the suggestion. It is really confusing in that the PWR key works to turn the AOR on, but that same key won’t turn the scanner off. I contacted AOR support, but they were zero help. They said it was probably because I didn’t,t have enough battery power. I had mentioned it was the same when plugged into the wall, but apparently that didn’t register. They said they didn’t offer support for my model any more. Any other suggestions ?

Joe_Blough

It is interesting that it does turn on with the key but doesn't turn off. That would seem to indicate the key is okay.

That was an imbecile answer from AOR support. A low or dead battery could cause it to not turn on but it wouldn't cause it to not turn off. If that were the case no one would ever have to charge their battery. Just wait until it gets low enough and the radio will stay on forever.

SteveBilbao

Thanks Joe for your help. I was thinking along the same line as you. It almost seems more software related, but I don’t know where to start there. I may try a “key cleaner / repair” that had good reviews on Amazon.Seems people have used it on a variety of worn keys with good success. I just think where it works turning it on but not off that wouldn’t be it but I don’t really know what else to try. I’m not that handy but can usually get enough help on the internet to take care of most of my issues. This little project may turn out to be the exception - haha.

SteveBilbao

Thanks, I have tried the soft reset with no success. I also have tried to find instructions for a hard reset but apparently that is not possible. I also looked at the ribbons for problems but they appeared ok.

Does anyone have experience to know if it is possible the key could turn the scanner on but not off with a faulty power key connection. It sounds counter intuitive but maybe possible?

dkf435

Disconnecting battery to turn off will result in loss of all programming changes as the radio only writes to the EEPROM when turned off with power button.

David

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
Sorry if this seems a stupid question, but do you have to push and 'hold' the key in for a couple of seconds before it should respond and power down?

SteveBilbao

I appreciate all the ideas, i’m still looking for any ideas that might help. Here is a quick summary of what my AOR 8200 MKII is doing. It will turn on and function normally, including using the PWR button to switch to other memory banks by pressing power then the number. It scans fine and seems normal, it just will not turn off when I push the power key to turn off the scanner. This includes using both batters and the wall power supply, neither will turn off the scanner. The only way to turn the unit off is to take out a battery or unplug the power supply, depending on which is suppling power to the scanner. I have tried holding the PWR button for a couple of seconds, I have tried a spot reboot (and would do a hard reboot but it doesn’t appear possible). I thought about taking the keyboard out and using keypad fix (and I may still try that out of desperation) but because the key works for everything but turning it offi am thinking that with not be the fix. I don’t know if I accidentally turned something on or off causing the problem, but that does’t really make sense either. Any additional ideas, suggestions, etc. would be appreciated. I’m dumb founded.

AOR-262

@SteveBilbao

... then I suggest you detail your issue but keep it as simple as possible and send an email to AOR. You can find their email address on their website. I have had many emails with AOR and notice that; depending on the question(s) asked, they swap email between countries -- that is if you email AOR USA, they may send your email internally to their HQ in Japan and v/versa.

There's a guy called Tako who seems to pop in and out of the USA offices when it suit him and if he's there you'll get a reply direct from him -- otherwise it'll come from a generic AOR email address. He knows his stuff -- however, if he'll take on your issue is as much luck as winning the lottery simply because AOR no longer support the 8200 Mk2 -- see the link below ...

REPAIR | Support | AOR U.S.A., INC. Authority On Radio Communications

NON-SUPPORTED PRODUCTS

AOR, LTD. and AOR USA, Inc. tries to support all our legacy products as best as possible. However, decreasing availability of OEM parts and supplies for some makes them unsupportable. Because of this, AOR, LTD. and AOR USA, Inc. can only support product currently manufactured or discontinued after December 2010. The list below identifies some of our most popular products that have become unsupportable. Please note that this list may not include all the products discontinued prior to December 2010 and we strongly suggest customers to contact Customer Support via Email and ask about support prior to sending their product in.

Good luck!

rsk

Premium Subscriber
same thing happened to my mk3. some keystrokes did not respond. when the power button did the exact same thing , power on OK power off
nothing . I replaced the keypad membrane from aor usa 11 dollars. problem fixed.

wayneataylor

I assume you have tried this with no USB connected as if there is USB/serial data received the power button won’t turn it off if it thinks its under computer control?

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.