advice?....

Status
Not open for further replies.

N3krj0statix

hey i just got my first scanner and just joined and am looking for some freqs in sanpete county utah other than what is offered here. Just wonderin if anyone has a good place for more information concerning police/ems/airport maybe and just what i can get in this tiny town. Just tryin to collect as much info as possible and it would be nice to find a monster database or list with the info im looking for. oh yeah if anyone knows a list of radio/ems/police codes that would be awesome as well!!
thanx guys.

btw its Manti, Utah
and my old crappy scanner is a uniden bearcat BC148XLT

Last edited:

JLM7424

N3krj0statix said:
hey i just got my first scanner and just joined and am looking for some freqs in sanpete county utah other than what is offered here. Just wonderin if anyone has a good place for more information concerning the area. Just tryin to collect as much info as possible and it would be nice to find a huge database with the info im looking for. just a monster list. if not thats kool. oh yeah if anyone knows a list of radio/ems/police codes that would be awesome as well!!
thanx guys.

Welcome to RadioReference!!
What kind of scanner did you buy ?

Start here on the database page at the top of pages you will see the tool bar that says Database then pick your state then your county .
http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/

Depending on the Scanner you bought you maybe able to listen to the Ucan radio system
Which is a multi county and spreading motorola typeII trunked system.

N3krj0statix

sweet

well its a uniden bearcat bc148xlt
im a noob at some of the radio scene. originally i picked up the pd freq with my hand crank survival radio and went off from there to become more interested. I was thinkin about trying ham radio but too much time and effort. anywho, how would i go about finding out if its ucan ready? much appreciated again.

JLM7424

N3krj0statix said:
i just found a list of decent pd codes and 11-58 means: radio monitore, go to phone. wtf..?
the noob in me asks how the hell do they know the radio is being monitored?
Probabley just worried of the possibility of someone listning, perhaps Extremley sensitive info.

Heres a Nice list http://www.radiolabs.com/police-codes.html

keep in mind not all Pd's will have the same meaning and uses forthese codes most of these are Standard codes .

As for the 148xlt I found online it appears to be a black base ,It will not unfortnuatley follow a Trunked radio system Sorry & Good luck to ya.

Last edited:

qlajlu

Silent Key
Welcome to the Utah Forum of RR.com,

N3krj0statix!

As jlm7424 has said, this is the best place for the information that you are seeking. jlm7424 has also linked you to the gateway for the Database (Db). All the maps are clickable which means you can click on Utah, click on Sanpete County, and voila, you are into the frequencies you are looking for. If you click on the tab labeled "Trunking" while at the Utah page, you will be taken to the Db of Talk Groups (TGs) for the trunking systems.

This page has common 10-codes used by Utah agencies but can vary from agency to agency. This page contains most of the state call signs used by Utah agencies (i.e. Sanpete County Sheriff's Office is 1Q; Mt. Pleasant PD is 5Q, etc.).

I urge you to return to your "UserCP" and finish filling in your profile, especially the "Location" so it will appear automatically in all of your posts. That way we will know where you are and it will eliminate any confusion. We have far too many members from far too many locations to try to remember them all.

N3krj0statix

thanx

much appreciated as i will fill in the location info and i was just wonderin if anyone had any other frequencies not listed here for the area. i agree this is prolly the best site ive found so far and will stick to it. As for my scanner i noticed it was 30$ on ebay and is old but it has peaked my interest and because of it I plan on buying a newer scanner with trunking and all the features for some real fun! So thank you very much and i look forward to figuring this all out. lol

enosjones

Premium Subscriber
I have cover some of that territory with a scanner from Richfield to Manti. I have some info for you although its not nailed to which towers are what, but i have the frequencies. In the Morning i will post some of the info I have it in my Scanner.

JLM7424

N3krj0statix said:
much appreciated as i will fill in the location info and i was just wonderin if anyone had any other frequencies not listed here for the area. i agree this is prolly the best site ive found so far and will stick to it. As for my scanner i noticed it was 30$ on ebay and is old but it has peaked my interest and because of it I plan on buying a newer scanner with trunking and all the features for some real fun! So thank you very much and i look forward to figuring this all out. lol
Just enjoy yourself as you learn it all ,And always remember were all here to help So Ask away !

Good Luck.. Matt | RR.JLM7424

enosjones

Premium Subscriber
Here is some of what I have it might be a little long but hopefully this will work.

155.505 Statewide channel 1 for police chases and stuff CSQ or Various pl's
155.745 Channel 3 for UHP and county/city talk pl 203.5
153.965 last year i heard this off of boarding house but now since winter hit it has become silent but it had EMS paging which was linked to the ems channel there in manti pl 114.8
155.835 EMS Channel For Sanpete pl 107.2
460.100 pl 131.8 this one as well as many others have 3 or 4 simulcast links that carry the same traffic just on different frequencies/pl's either ems or county so not sure on this one.
155.925 EMS pl 100.0
866.7875 this one is the Ucan voice channel heard in Manti unlike some trunking systems the contol channel and voice channel dont alternate. if your scanner dont have trunking capabilities this will be your best bet to program in although you cant tell which agency is talking. no pl
154.115 EMS input channel. This I have marked as an input channel which it may or may not be if it is then its the input signal from one of the repeater sites listed above. pl 162.2
155.160 Search and rescue channel this is also used when the Manti Pagent is going. no pl
Search and rescue channel for their radios they have called it channel 12
155.100 this one is marked as the SO channel with a pl of 114.8
460.500 pl 114.8 this one i just have marked manti as well but same rules/info as 460.100 might verify with DataBase or as you listen.
465.100 pl 131.8 i think this one is the input frequency for 460.100
465.500 input for 460.500 pl 114.8
151.475 I dont know what this one is. pl 114.8
155.310 is UHP from Richfield covers manti area pl 192.8
154.725 EMS pl 114.8
155.415 Marked as the SO sherriff's office pl 114.8
155.625 pl 203.5 Unknown might be teat peak in spanish fork??
154.430 pl 114.8 sherriff or PD?
155.595 UHP Richfield South covers Richfield I-70 pl 203.5
153.905 pl 107.2 unknown Dont know if it was picked up in richfield or manti??
162.425 NOAA WNG594 Weather radio
463.775 PL 179.9 Temple Security
453.000 heard in Manti listed in businesses unknown business or pl
461.550 Heard used for pagent 67.0 pl
145.290 ham radio pl 131.8
146.660 pl 100 Might be off of monroe peak??
147.100 Ham
146.720 Ham
Radio Stations 95.100 Carries the pagent live over radio
415.850 Federal Band Broadcast of Noaa off of 162.425 I dont know why its on this frequency too but it is.
102.700 Classy radio 95.9 as well
93.700 Eagle Radio
88.3 KUER
this is all i have i do have aircraft info if you want that too just let me know.

N3krj0statix

enosjones that is a sweet list!!!!! info is my gold so THANK YOU!!!!!
i noticed the temple security and that is truly kool too bc i frequently walk up there and as soon as i get a handheld ima head up there and just listen to kill some boredom. also with pageant coming up the town goes nuts and is completely overfilled with people and and traffic so its gonna be a adventure listening. yeah the airport freqs would be awesome so dont feel like u have listed too much. ill take it all. lol
you guys are awesome, once again thanx much!!!!

N3krj0statix

more advice?

ok so this might be a dumb question but i got just a regular tv antennae on our roof and i got a cord running from my scanner to it for better range. Realistically i dont think i am getting decent range. My scanner is a old uniden bc148xlt and i am looking to find what kind of antennae i should buy to replace our old one. is there somethin i can get to receive 10-20 miles? just thought i'd ask someone who knew what they were doin.
btw if it gets too complicated to explain thats kool ill just google it some more.

thanx

enosjones

Premium Subscriber
Ok here is the aircraft frequencies that can be heard in and around the Manti area.

121.500 Emergency
130.175 not sure exactly what this one is for but they do use it for different things, it is in use.
130.200 AirInc San Francisco
243.000 Emergency
122.800 Unicom airports Manti Uses this one For their airport
122.900 not sure on this one, but it is used
122.950 " "
135.550 Salt Lake Center
127.925 Salt Lake Center
126.725 Denver Center
125.575 Salt Lake Center
133.900 Salt Lake Center
135.250 Los Angelos Center
133.600 Salt Lake Center

There may be others but from what i had this is pretty active.

bchris

Nice Job, EJ!

All this info would be impressive coming from someone living in the area and monitoring for years, but how do you know all this w/o even living there? Thats a ton of work. Nice Job!

I know a bunch of people who live in Salina. I was thinking of setting one of them up with one of my old scanners. If I do, this will be very helpful. -thanks

bchris

Antenna for Sanpete County

N3krj0statix,

I love Manti and Sanpete County! Whenever I go there it just feels like home, and I'm not even sure why. I wish I could figure out how to live there and still work in my career field (or even better, not work at all).

ok so this might be a dumb question but i got just a regular tv antennae on our roof and i got a cord running from my scanner to it for better range. Realistically i dont think i am getting decent range. My scanner is a old uniden bc148xlt and i am looking to find what kind of antennae i should buy to replace our old one. is there somethin i can get to receive 10-20 miles?

First, a TV input has a an 'impedance' of 75 ohms. Scanners (and most 2-way radios) use 50 ohms. If you were using a transmitter, this would be a big no-no. Since you are only receiving it wont hurt anything, but your reception will be a fair amount less than a 'similar size' antenna designed for 50 ohms. Also, most or all existing TV antennas actually have an impedance of 300 ohms, then they have a little adapter to convert to 75 ohms so it will match the 'TV coax' and your TV. If you ran a separate coax to the antenna and bypassed the converter (is this antenna still connected to your TV?) the match would be even worse. If your 'cord' isn't coax, you should probably just forget the whole thing.

Second, rooftop TV antennas are usually very directional. Thats fine to Rx from a TV tower that doesnt move around, but not so good for mobile radios that keep changing location.

Third, are all your TV channels 13 and above, or do you use channels 2-11 in Manti? If your antenna is only for UHF-TV, your reception on most of the freqs listed by EnosJones will be very, very poor.

Fourth, TV uses 'horizontal polarization' (the antennas are flat). Radios use vertical (they stand up straight).

All that being said, even a piece of wire cut to the right length and placed on your roof COULD get a better signal than the one included on the radio.

As far as a new antenna, thats a tough call for you right now. We know trunking is coming to Sanpete County because they already have towers near Manti, Gunnison, Levan, and soon Indianola. Trunking frequencies are around 850Mhz and you will likely monitor fixed tower location(s) instead of the individual radios. Your ideal antenna right now would be many times larger, heavier, and more expensive than what your ideal will be in a year or two. I might be more prone to spending money on the future, not the past.

If you could come across an inexpensive antenna for marine or ham radio (I think 10-meter) or any mobile antenna for around 155Mhz that doesnt need a 'ground plane', you could mount it on your roof using a bracket and 50-ohm coax and you should be set until you can get a new trunking scanner and a new antenna.

Dont panic about trunking if your not ready for new equipment right now. Surely most local agencies will still 'patch' to the old freqs during the transition period, likely for several years.

If you havent dozed off during this long post and still want more info, just let me know. I'd be glad to help if I can.

N3krj0statix

yeah sanpetes a nice tiny place. I moved back bc i love the mountains and 4 wheel a lot. the trails are awesome. ok so bchris thanx much and the funny thing about the antenna is we dont use it for tv at all. I kinda rigged the setup bc i dont have an antenna on the back of the scanner. I spliced some extension cord cable and plugged it into the back of the scanner and ran it to the roof connecting it to the coax posts on the antenna. Slowly but surely im catching on and appreciate the input. I have came across a few ham antennas but that was when i didnt need them of course. Ultimately I will do what i can with what i got.

the freqs i hear the most on are:

155.100 sanpete sheriff
155.415 sanpete sheriff 2
155.310 richfield uhp
and
463.775 temple security.

i dont get much traffic on this thing but some days are better than others.
and i will wait if needs be until i get a new scanner which will prolly be in a few weeks to get an antenna to work with the scanner.

thank you so much ill look around for a ham or marine antenna and see what i can come up with.
or just steal someone elses off their roof! LOL jk

1 more thing. ground plane?

Status
Not open for further replies.