Advisable to post received military aircraft transmissions on social media?

AB4BF

Premium Subscriber
Hey there, I do military aircraft spotting and photography and I recently got an SDS100 to give me some early warning for approaching aircraft. The SDS100 lets me record what I receive which is awesome because I can listen back later and get callsigns and such. I post my photos and sometimes video on social media and I recently thought it might be cool to edit the video to include the audio I recorded from that specific aircraft. Is it legal to post this audio on the internet if it is a part of a video of the aircraft? I tried to do some research and I couldn't find anything, but because it's the military, I thought it would be smart to get some advice before I do it. Perhaps its one of those things where if you have to ask, you probably shouldn't, but I am not privy enough to know. (its not a live stream or youtube or anything like that, just the occasional video on my own social media accounts)
Don't do it, it ain't worth it. Little more than a decade ago, I posted on another website about strange planes flying out of a clandestine airbase. Wasn't long I got a visit from a guy in a black crown vic, very congenial, we talked for several hours. I got the message.

I wouldn't post anything received from a military base that is not shared with civilian aviation. If shared, that could be a grey area. Best not to do it.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
Don't do it, it ain't worth it. Little more than a decade ago, I posted on another website about strange planes flying out of a clandestine airbase. Wasn't long I got a visit from a guy in a black crown vic, very congenial, we talked for several hours. I got the message.

I wouldn't post anything received from a military base that is not shared with civilian aviation. If shared, that could be a grey area. Best not to do it.
Didn't they tell you not to talk about them?

AB4BF

Premium Subscriber
Didn't they tell you not to talk about them?
Not to be posting on a world wide web site or any web site about particulars. I've had my hands slapped several times since, but not to the extent of a physical visit. Just reminders. So far, just warning regular people about what may happen seems OK.

I used to spend half my nights outside watching the skies for unusual "aircraft" but all that kinda took the wind out of my sails.

northstarfire0693

Premium Subscriber
Most military training is transmitted in the "clear". Aircraft are using VHF/UHF freqs to talk to ATC and tower. You shouldn't have any issues with posting audio up off that. As others said, I would time delay it. Don't go live. Generally speaking, if the military is doing some special operation or training, they will go encrypted. We had people listen to us training all the time and none of them kept it a secret. Us and the command didnt care.

VexingRaven

Honestly I think a lot of people here are overplaying the role the internet has in why you can't listen to as much as you used to. For a lot of stuff it's simply a case of technology having moved on and there being a better tool for the job. Any pilot, especially military, is already acutely aware of the fact that anything they say can be picked up by anyone with a VHF radio, internet or not internet. Not saying you should go blabbing online about everything you hear on milair, but I don't think the death of HF has much to do with people listening in and sharing it.

northstarfire0693

Premium Subscriber
Honestly I think a lot of people here are overplaying the role the internet has in why you can't listen to as much as you used to. For a lot of stuff it's simply a case of technology having moved on and there being a better tool for the job. Any pilot, especially military, is already acutely aware of the fact that anything they say can be picked up by anyone with a VHF radio, internet or not internet. Not saying you should go blabbing online about everything you hear on milair, but I don't think the death of HF has much to do with people listening in and sharing it.

The death of HF was due to satcom. Much more reliable system. HF is still used to a small extent by the Army. CG uses it all the time.

PrivatelyJeff

Has more money than sense
Premium Subscriber
Most military training is transmitted in the "clear". Aircraft are using VHF/UHF freqs to talk to ATC and tower. You shouldn't have any issues with posting audio up off that. As others said, I would time delay it. Don't go live. Generally speaking, if the military is doing some special operation or training, they will go encrypted. We had people listen to us training all the time and none of them kept it a secret. Us and the command didnt care.
I tried to make this argument too when I wanted to stream my local bases police. If it was so secret, they could encrypt it but they choose not too. Even when someone switches it on, they are told to go clear.

merlin

Not the best thing in the world but you can post all you like.
Where laws come into play is divulging any content not intended for public.
Posting frequencies/modes, call signs, UTC heard, NO PROBLEM.
Go posting of a tac operation details underway, and the feds will be knocking on your door.