AEP frequencies Logan County

marjam49

Hello all. I have been scanning with my trx1 with a tram 1410 for p25 frequencies in limit search for a few days now, and sometimes my scanner will stop briefly, show about 3 to 4 bars, but no transmission is captured. Only one time did it start a transmission for a split second and then it cut out before any information could be captured in the record function. My discone is about 30 feet in the air but I am sandwiched in between 2 hills in a rural area. I can pick up Sirn P25 as well as analog and DMR traffic, but I am beginning to wonder if 800 MHz signals don't travel as well as some of the other frequencies? Anybody else have similar conditions and have you been able to pick up the power companies? Trying to get these frequencies before winter hits so I can monitor potential power outages. Thanks for any information you can provide.

I am beginning to wonder if 800 MHz signals don't travel as well
Yes, that's true. Higher frequencies don't travel as far.

2 Things:

1) This explains Radio Propagation:

2) It would help if you tell us what frequency you are receiving so someone may be able to look it up.

Good luck!

DeaconHarry16

Premium Subscriber

Logan, WV
854.7625c855.1625c855.6625c857.3125c857.7875c858.7875c

AEP Logan P25 Phase 2 site has been verified and is active. These frequencies are available from the Radio Reference Database.
I monitor AEP from Beckley and traffic is limited, probably not too reliable for identifying trouble or outages.
Good Luck,
Harry

marjam49

Logan, WV
854.7625c855.1625c855.6625c857.3125c857.7875c858.7875c

AEP Logan P25 Phase 2 site has been verified and is active. These frequencies are available from the Radio Reference Database.
I monitor AEP from Beckley and traffic is limited, probably not too reliable for identifying trouble or outages.
Good Luck,
Harry
Thanks for the information. EZ scan for some reason has AEP still listed as EDACs, and if you try to change it to P25, it erases all the entries. Is there a trick to get this to load these frequencies as P25? Every time I try to update it, it is still showing EDACs for some reason. What am I doing wrong? I select check for updates when I plug my scanner in but the talkgroup still doesn't change. Any advice is appreciated.

lebrunmn

Retired... Get off my lawn!
Premium Subscriber
EZ scan for some reason has AEP still listed as EDACs
You should ensure your EZ Scan software has the latest library update--I just checked and Logan Co. AEP is showing as P25 in my version that dates from 20 Oct 2022. I'd start by updating the library and loading the system into your scanner. Hopefully that will solve your issue.

Screenshot 2022-10-25 113142.jpg

marjam49

You should ensure your EZ Scan software has the latest library update--I just checked and Logan Co. AEP is showing as P25 in my version that dates from 20 Oct 2022. I'd start by updating the library and loading the system into your scanner. Hopefully that will solve your issue.

View attachment 129985
When I go to library import I selected preferred then trunked systems, and for some reason, WV SIRN is the only trunked systems showing to be updated. AEP isn't an option. I just did the update to 800 as well so it's a setting somewhere that is out of wack and that's why it isn't updating. Hopefully I can figure it out.

lebrunmn

Retired... Get off my lawn!
Premium Subscriber
When I go to library import I selected preferred then trunked systems, and for some reason, WV SIRN is the only trunked systems showing to be updated. AEP isn't an option. I just did the update to 800 as well so it's a setting somewhere that is out of wack and that's why it isn't updating. Hopefully I can figure it out.

No worries... I did the exact same thing... try it this way:

1. Go to Library Import and select West Virginia
2. Then select Counties and Cities then click Next at the bottom of the page--don't go directly to Trunked systems or it'll only give you SIRN.
3. Select Logan Co., then select Trunked Systems, then click Next at the bottom.
4. You should be able to see AEP, now.

jeepsandradios

Feed Provider
The 1410 is really not a good antenna in 800. If your next to a site its one thing but trying to pull weak signals in with that antenna isn't the best. Additionally what cable are you using on said antenna ? That could be marginal or best. Just some other items to look at.

marjam49

No worries... I did the exact same thing... try it this way:

1. Go to Library Import and select West Virginia
2. Then select Counties and Cities then click Next at the bottom of the page--don't go directly to Trunked systems or it'll only give you SIRN.
3. Select Logan Co., then select Trunked Systems, then click Next at the bottom.
4. You should be able to see AEP, now.
This worked. Thanks much appreciated...

marjam49

The 1410 is really not a good antenna in 800. If your next to a site its one thing but trying to pull weak signals in with that antenna isn't the best. Additionally what cable are you using on said antenna ? That could be marginal or best. Just some other items to look at.
I am using rg6 cable, just because it's cheap and available locally. I have thought about upgrading my cable. Some of the talkgroups come in garbled at times depending on the source location most likely. I hear some clearly, others not so much.
What would be a good receive antenna instead of the 1410 for a rural WV area like mine? I tried the 1411 and the reception was worse, so I sent it back.

jeepsandradios

Feed Provider
100' of RG6 on 800mhz is basically 6db of loss. You'd have better luck with a rubber duck. If your goal is to pick up 800mhz and the site isn't across the street you should star with a better cable.

3db of loss is half the power/signal. 3db more is half of the half of the power. Signal level will be affected so your issue of hearing then that adds up. RG6 is good for basic stuff but on 800 its a poor choice.

marjam49

100' of RG6 on 800mhz is basically 6db of loss. You'd have better luck with a rubber duck. If your goal is to pick up 800mhz and the site isn't across the street you should star with a better cable.

3db of loss is half the power/signal. 3db more is half of the half of the power. Signal level will be affected so your issue of hearing then that adds up. RG6 is good for basic stuff but on 800 its a poor choice.
Ok, I appreciate the input. I knew that was part of my problem, I just didn't know how much of a problem. It would be cheaper for me to buy better cable and start with that.

marjam49

95' is a pretty long run. If there was any way to shorten it, that could help.
I think I am going to try and shorten plus upgrade the cable. I added a preamp this morning, and it helped a lot. On my shortwave radio I am getting a lot more signals coming in across all the bands, including 80 meters. On the trx1, I am getting better reception so far as well. This will hold me over until I can purchase some better coax. Thanks for everyone's input, it's good that we have these forums to share information.