AEP/WEST TX UTILITIES

Status
Not open for further replies.

KeithJoseph

Still working on my amateur radio callsign.
I've found quite a few talk groups that aren't listed. 03-085, 00-026, 03-005, and 03-021(ID 401)

scan-pa

RRDB Admin
Database Admin
I've found quite a few talk groups that aren't listed. 03-085, 00-026, 03-005, and 03-021(ID 401)
Once you have confirmed the tg names, usage and user, please submit the info via the submission link.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Yes, by listening, that is how we do it. When eyes and ears are on the ground in the presence of a talk group transmission, you can either wait for them to identify the channel or talk group or actually do outside and witness the unit talking, if possible.

This is why it has taken so long for me to analyze the Bell County system in Killeen, Texas. Yes, I have many talk groups, but if I am not 100% sure about who is talking and on what channel/talk group, I don't submit.

In the number of years I've been doing this, I have submitted about two that were wrong. It is rather embarrassing to do this. Park on those talk groups and listen. Eventually, you are going to hear them talk about going to another channel/talk group. Good luck.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Generally, when I'm trying to pin down the usage on a new talkgroup, or conventional frequency, I'll set up one of the scanners to record all activity. That way, I have slices of various conversations to review & hopefully establish a pattern. That's where using one of the database scanners, Uniden or Whistler/GRE, comes in handy, as I don't have to t`ie it into a PC to record & log activity.

nd5y

A lot of the database information for that system is way obsolete including the name. West Texas Utilities hasn't existed since AEP accquired it in the 1990s. Don't be surprised if the sites, frequencies and LCNs aren't correct.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
In the future, if you can, listen and determine where these utility workers are working. I suppose the best time might be during a severe weather outbreak.

Since Big Spring, Texas has a location for Oncor, I thought you might have one nearby. The following showed a location in Sweetwater.
https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=1466

I don't know who anything about utility companies and how they work.

The talk groups that you have discovered need to be monitored for activity. As I stated, sometimes, field observation can support your contentions.

Status
Not open for further replies.