Aerial Radiation Assessment Survey Over Las Vegas Strip Ahead Of New Year’s Eve

Status
Not open for further replies.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber

spanky15805

"Local residents may see a twin-engine Bell 412 helicopter, which is equipped with sensitive, state-of-the-art passive radiation sensing technology. The helicopter will fly in a grid pattern over the areas at 150 feet (or higher) above the ground at a speed of approximately 80 mph."

Will I get a letter if my microwave is to leaky? 150 feet isn't very high.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
The U.S. Department of Energy’s National Nuclear Security Administration (DOE/NNSA) will conduct low-altitude helicopter flights over the Las Vegas Strip and its surrounding areas Dec. 29 and 31 to measure naturally occurring background radiation ahead of New Year’s Eve.

Now that's a pretty interesting story, you are in North Carolina, the story is in a Los Alamos New Mexico news site where the Manhattan Project was and it's about Las Vegas Nevada, how did you stumble on that one LOL

You've got to wonder if you were in Las Vegas if you could monitor this activity but I have a feeling that Federal agency probably is encrypted. They say they're looking for naturally occurring radiation but that area in Las Vegas was a testing ground for above-ground nukes no? Why would they need to do it ahead of New Year's Eve? This is a story that leaves me wanting to know more.

ecps92

Most [past experience] is they are flying patterns to take base-line readings

We get them annually, before the Boston Marathon, can see them on ADSB
but since it is a known flight pattern [to them] the only activity generally heard is with ATC

Not a peep from the potential LMR Ops [Boston] but others have reported DOE and possibly NNSA activity around NSSE events

Now that's a pretty interesting story, you are in North Carolina, the story is in a Los Alamos New Mexico news site where the Manhattan Project was and it's about Las Vegas Nevada, how did you stumble on that one LOL

You've got to wonder if you were in Las Vegas if you could monitor this activity but I have a feeling that Federal agency probably is encrypted. They say they're looking for naturally occurring radiation but that area in Las Vegas was a testing ground for above-ground nukes no? Why would they need to do it ahead of New Year's Eve? This is a story that leaves me wanting to know more.

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
The U.S. Department of Energy’s National Nuclear Security Administration (DOE/NNSA) will conduct low-altitude helicopter flights over the Las Vegas Strip and its surrounding areas Dec. 29 and 31 to measure naturally occurring background radiation ahead of New Year’s Eve.
Seems like an odd time of the year for a "naturally occurring background radiation" NEST survey, unless it was a cover for something else.

TerryPavlick

Premium Subscriber
Seems like an odd time of the year for a "naturally occurring background radiation" NEST survey, unless it was a cover for something else.

The news release explains the reasoning. They are doing it ahead of New Year's Eve. So what is happening on New Year's Eve.....oh maybe a lot of people out (or in) celebrating the New Year. So it they are probably doing two things - checking to see if any dirty bombs are planted ahead of that day so they can locate them - or to have a baseline when they go over the area again to see if anything has changed. So if someone moves something in - it will stand out from the baseline they already know is there.

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
These tests occur every NYE, for political conventions, sports championships, large events, and many other events.

They are rather routine.

ecps92

Was gonna say that.

but the NFL is in Tampa
but the Pro Bowl is in Vegas - ding ding ding ding ding.

They do this before any large scale event, such as Super Bowls, New Years Eve, Presidential Inaugurations, etc. Pretty routine these days...

- Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.