Aerial Refueling Sighting - 3 Planes!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
This was about 7:45pm tonight. I just happened to look up and saw the tanker and the receiver, nose to tail. They were traveling due east. Higher up, and slightly to the south, looked like another tanker traveling with the pair.

It was a pretty awesome sight! I am a lousy judge of altitude, but maybe 15 to 20 thousand feet up? They had that 'hazy gray' color to them, and no contrails.

I was in the flowerbed covered in mulch, so no scanner/camera/binoculars. My neighbor was running a shop vac, so I ran over and showed him what was going on. With the shop vac off, I heard nothing - they seemed pretty quiet.

Finally, afterwards - I started seeing the regular commercial flights on approach to Cleveland Hopkins, like I normally do. It didn't hit me until later, but it seemed like there weren't any commercial flights until after the refueling planes were long gone. Maybe my imagination?

SCPD

QRT
I heard the radio chatter but didn't think to look outside. Probably could have seen them with the clear skys I guess. I thought most of the refueling activity around here was above 20,000 ft.

gcgrotz

Must be nice you guys! No refueling in my world thanks to Dulles - Charlotte - Atlanta jetways. I did look up one time and see the Concord on its way out of Dulles back when they flew to DFW.

Good Catch!

Status
Not open for further replies.