Aero Aero LDOC

Status
Not open for further replies.

GB46

Has anyone heard anything on the LDOC frequencies lately? I have a complete list of the frequencies, but haven't heard a single transmission on them for a very long time. In the past I used to hear lots of interesting LDOC communications, including exchanges concerning in-flight medical emergencies, and even malfunctions of flight instruments.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
There's quite a number of LDOCs reported on the UDXF. Poor propagation hasn't helped, that's for sure.

Mike

majoco

Stirrer
I don't know what you do up your end of the world, I was under the impression that ARINC ran the LDOC service and you called them up and then they patched you through on a phone line to the requested airline office.

Here we only have one international home-grown airline and they have a few HF frequencies direct into the ops office at Auckland Airport - no third party at all. 13333kHz is a favourite frequency (which is the same as BA Heathrow) but I think the aircraft also have Satphone too.

GB46

There's quite a number of LDOCs reported on the UDXF. Poor propagation hasn't helped, that's for sure.
Nor does my location either, I'm afraid. I remember now that I heard most of that LDOC activity when I lived in Saskatchewan, where the terrain was flat in all directions. As winter approaches I'm beginning to hear somewhat stronger signals on the MWARA frequencies, although only the ground stations are coming through right now, so the contacts are always one-sided.

GB46

I don't know what you do up your end of the world, I was under the impression that ARINC ran the LDOC service and you called them up and then they patched you through on a phone line to the requested airline office.
Yes, that's what I used to hear. The pilot was instructed to stand by while a phone patch was set up. Sometimes that involved a change to a frequency which was unfavorable at my end, causing me to lose them altogether.

I remember overhearing a heated argument between airline maintenance staff and the pilot, during which the pilot exclaimed, "I'm the one who has to fly this aircraft!" In one exchange I monitored, a plane had its avionics door come open after takeoff, forcing the pilot to return to the airport in Vancouver, but that was on VHF when I lived there.

Medical emergencies were handled through a network named Medlink, I believe.

Audiodave1

Database Admin
I have recently logged 8933 and 6640 with routine traffic from my QTH near Philadelphia PA. Mostly eastbound flights exiting VHF coverage in the North atlantic. Propagation has been generally horrible on those bands and I am often getting only the AC side.

GB46

I monitor those two frequencies regularly, but haven't heard anything at all for years. Aside from lousy propagation, my western location is likely a major contributor.

Audiodave1

Database Admin
I monitor those two frequencies regularly, but haven't heard anything at all for years. Aside from lousy propagation, my western location is likely a major contributor.

We used to visit a radio friendly fly in lodge north of LaRonge and stay for a couple weeks each summer. Fish all day (scanners in boat), monitor all night on a couple Sony2010's. Mostly Aero and RCMP back in the late 90's-early 2000's. We heard so much up there on a random wire for HF aero + the VHF aero 123.450 etc. Digital modes have made a big dent in the aero side for sure.

GB46

We used to visit a radio friendly fly in lodge north of LaRonge and stay for a couple weeks each summer. Fish all day (scanners in boat), monitor all night on a couple Sony2010's. Mostly Aero and RCMP back in the late 90's-early 2000's. We heard so much up there on a random wire for HF aero + the VHF aero 123.450 etc. Digital modes have made a big dent in the aero side for sure.
When I was living in Moose Jaw, SK during those same years I used to pick up radiotelephone calls from a lodge in LaRonge. They were mostly about ordering supplies. If I remember correctly, the frequency was somewhere around 5.4 mHz. You can't beat the nice, flat prairies for SW reception, esp. when the propagation is good. The calls from that lodge are probably done by cell phone these days instead of over HF.

Status
Not open for further replies.