• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XTL/XTS5000 AES/UCM compatibility

Status
Not open for further replies.

itsdox

Howdy folks, long time lurker.

Finally bit the bullet and decided to go with big M for my small group on our licensed business freq.

The pile of radios are all the same flashcode:

180001-001002-5
Q806 ASTRO IMBE Digital Operation
Q498 Hardware Multikey Encryption w/ OTAR
H35 Conventional Systems Operation
Q947 APCO Packet Data Interface
Q446 Fireground Voice/Channel Announcement

My question is: I cracked open one of them and there is no UCM module. Would all it take to implement AES is to buy the UCM and load the corresponding keys with a Keyloader/KFDTool? Or am I hooped and have to live with the flashcode/crypto algorithms currently on the radio?

K2NEC

Howdy folks, long time lurker.

Finally bit the bullet and decided to go with big M for my small group on our licensed business freq.

The pile of radios are all the same flashcode:

180001-001002-5
Q806 ASTRO IMBE Digital Operation
Q498 Hardware Multikey Encryption w/ OTAR
H35 Conventional Systems Operation
Q947 APCO Packet Data Interface
Q446 Fireground Voice/Channel Announcement

My question is: I cracked open one of them and there is no UCM module. Would all it take to implement AES is to buy the UCM and load the corresponding keys with a Keyloader/KFDTool? Or am I hooped and have to live with the flashcode/crypto algorithms currently on the radio?
You should be able to buy a module and plug it into the radio. When you put the radio into service mode it will tell you the secure modes that it has installed.

It's none of my business but dont you think AES on a business frequency is a bit much?

K2NEC

Unfortunately these are Model 1 radios, no screen to get a quick eyeball on. I should be able to tell from CPS correct?

As for the why, I figure why not. Free country, I got the freq, why not play with somethings you'd otherwise be unable to on amateur bands
Nah unfortunately with a model 1 there is no way to since there is no display.

itsdox

Crack it open, inspect for ucm in less its known it has one
Had done. No UCM. What I'm asking is if I were to install a UCM, would it be as simple as loading keys and flipping the right switches in CPS

Or is this a specific feature needed to be programmed into the radio via flashcode by /\/\ regardless of UCM or not

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
You need hardware encryption/multi-key in your flash code.
The enable crypto in your codeplug.

It is also a good idea to update the firmware and MACE to the latest available. To do this correctly, this requires a firmware refresh iButton and appropriate refresh software packages. Good luck getting them from MSI, as the XTS series are off support and the dead line to order flashport upgrades for the XTS series ended 3 years ago.

K2NEC

It is also a good idea to update the firmware and MACE to the latest available. To do this correctly, this requires a firmware refresh iButton and appropriate refresh software packages. Good luck getting them from MSI, as the XTS series are off support and the dead line to order flashport upgrades for the XTS series ended 3 years ago.
Well said. I didn't really have an in depth answer for the OP

itsdox

Good to know, thanks for the reply!

Opfor2

To answer your question YES. All you need to do is buy the UCM module on say eBay, install said UCM, read the radio and check hardware equipped encryption in the CPS, load your key using your favorite KVL loader and you should be good to go. If your business frequencies are P25 you will use DES-OFB, if analog use DES-XL. Hope this helps.

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
Quote"
If your business frequencies are P25 you will use DES-OFB, if analog use DES-XL"

You can't use DES-XL on analog (unless you are using "T" band, or 800), as it requires 5kc deviation and will not work with 2.5kc narrowband.
You can use a DES-XL module with P-25 but you have to change settings in the radio for it to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.