• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Affordable and common magnet mounts on the market 2021 - your thoughts?

FPR1981

I thought that as much as there has been ebb and flow in prices on mobile antennas this past year, it might be a good time to get a thread going about experiences with common magnet mount antennas on the market.

Obviously, the average CBer puts a lot of stock in the Wilson brand. The Little Wil and the Wilson 1000 are very popular antennas widely in use for 11 meters. I only have experience with the Little Wil.

Back in March 2021, I walked into a truck stop at Buckeye Lake territory in Ohio and bought one for $36.99 plus tax. Last week, at the same truck stop, I saw the price had climbed to $44.99 plus tax.

The Little Wil comes pre-wired with RG58 coax and is rated at 300 watts of output power. I have had nothing but good luck with these antennas. For $36.99, and ease of use, I felt it was money well spent.

Tram makes a clone of this antenna -- the Tram 300. I put a Tram 300 on my Honda Accord back in January 2021. At the time they were selling for $29.99 plus free shipping. Currently they're around $39.99 most days.

This antenna is the best value going in mobile magnet mounts. It eats the K30 for breakfast, based on my experience with both.

I've never owned a Wilson 1000, but I've known many who have. I believe it is called the 1000 because it boasts 1000 watts of power handling capability. I have, however, owned the Tram 3500, which is almost a clone of the Wilson 1000, but is advertised to handle 3500 watts. It comes pre-wired with RG8X coax.

I have this antenna on my pickup truck and I drive it with a White Tornado 225 amplifier and a cute little Cobra 19 DX III that fit perfectly in the dash. I paid $39.95 for this antenna in February 2021. Currently they're anywhere from $49 to $69, depending on the day.

I have a cute little White Hustler IC100-S on my wife's Pilot. The "S" denotes "spring." There is a non-spring version available.

This antenna would be most similar to a K30. I wouldn't probably drive it with more than 100 watts. This is the second one I bought. I struggled with higher SWR (1.8 to 1) on channel 1 and a 1.4 to 1 on channel 40, indicating it wasn't long enough. I ended up giving this antenna away to a buddy and purchasing a new one for $26.99 plus free shipping. The new one was a 1.2 to 1 on channel 1 and a 1.3 to 1 on channel 40. Same exact antenna. I cannot figure out for the life of me why the other had issues.

This antenna is well worth $27. It's white, it's small and looks good on a modern vehicle. I use a Realistic TRC-216 handheld with a little RM Italy KL35 and I can talk up to about 5 miles in up and down terrain to people on base stations before I start running into any signal issues. One night I drove it about 8 miles to the county line and stayed in touch with one of our locals on a 5/8-wave ground plane.

Last time I checked, this antenna had gone up about $10 in price too.

For no more money than I have in these antennas, I don't have any complaints about a single one of them. I do have a K40 with the Magna Mount kit that's about 40 years old, but I'm not presently using it on a vehicle. It still works like a charm, but K40's aren't exactly budget friendly, and the Magna Mount design is kind of a pain in the back side.

What other antennas are you guys using that you would share experiences with?

slowmover

Little Wil is marginal, IMO. Price should not matter as the TOP choices aren’t expensive, overall.

Wilson 5000

SIRIO 5000

Are the two choices of where to start.

As with any mag mount, convert permanent wiring to ability to change coax to a new piece instantly.

Other spare parts are recommended, as is a transport case whereby the base load unit is protected, and the whip similarly (PVC tube).

Mag mounts are more likely to be used if kept aboard (same for a radio transport case; see HARBOR FREIGHT Apache-2800) and both of those in an over-bag (a single surplus Air Force Flight Kit Bag).

Cheapest antenna really does make no sense.
Size (portability) is easily understood.

— Same for radio. Case-size isn’t the same as performance one-to-one, brand, specification, and reputation should figure in.

A handheld can offer decent performance (PRESIDENT Randy), but by the time one has attached separate mic, power & coax, one realized it’s the vehicle installation that mattered. (A PRESIDENT McKinley is the better choice).

IMO, there’s a performance bar not to fall beneath. Saving a few dollars or “increasing” portability has a limit. A reduction not worth pursuing as the antennas & radio recommended aren’t really going to be exceeded (is the irony).

Last edited:

slowmover

A Mag Mount is only a component. The problems are with the lack of an installed coax system.

Being able to TX/RX a mile — maybe three — is the bigotry of low expectations.

Citizens Band is capable of much more (read on Skip and Sideband). An AM/SSB radio is a minimum, as is best mag-mount antennas.

FPR1981

Little Wil is marginal, IMO. Price should not matter as the TOP choices aren’t expensive, overall.

Wilson 5000

SIRIO 5000

Are the two choices of where to start.

I'll disagree on the Little Wil being a marginal performer. The Tram 3500 is more closely related to the Wilson 5000 than the Wilson 1000. It has a 57 inch mast and a coil capable of handling 3500 watts.

The difference in performance from the Little Wil is, in experience, only about 2 S units. I think the Little Wil holds it's own quite well, given it's smaller size.

FPR1981

I failed to mention the Stryker Sr-a10 magnet Mount, which is lauded by CBers to be an excellent choice in magnet mount antennas. They're about $110 new.

FiveFilter

I regularly use three mag-mount antennas with several compact CB radios interchangeably.

I mount each radio on a moveable block and so don't permanently mount any of them in a particular vehicle. So, the mag mounts are perfect matches to the radios.

When I need a radio, I just grab one of several I use, select which mag-mount antenna fits the mission, and in five minutes or so I'm ready to go. I also put a compact KL 203P kicker in the coax train when I need a bit of extra range; e.g. when not in a caravan situation.

I use a 33-inch as-trimmed K30 mag mount antenna for on a TJ Wrangler Jeep, mounted on the hood. It's good for short-range hunting in the wood with other hunters within a mile or two. It's good when going through brush and I can keep an eye on it. Of course, occasionally it can be overcome by an errant limb or whatever in my way, and so I stop and plop it back on. When that happens, it's a good warning that my windshield is at risk if I proceed, so stopping to cut the limb is advisable anyway.

I also have a 56-inch as-trimmed Wilson 500 mag mount for use on the Wrangler when the brush is not too bad and/or the hunters are spread out a little farther. The 500 also is in regular use on my Mazda3 sedan when on long highway trips. It does reach out very well, and at 56 inches it's well-proportioned to the size of the car; IE, it looks good on the roof without creating the radio-controlled-car look when I position it on the roof-center but biased a bit to the rear.

And finally there's my 62-inch Wilson 1000 mag mount in center roof position on my F250 diesel used for hauling a travel trailer from coast-to-coast. The 1000 has been my top performer for the past two decades on the truck, but it's just a bit too much for use on a small sedan or a woods-going four-wheel-drive.

My setups are built for flexibility and work well for me. I didn't worry about the cost when I bought them because I knew they were investments that I would depend on for many years, as per my way of doing things. And it's worked out well.

If I were buying my stuff today, I'd probably select a Sirio 5000 instead of the Wilson 1000 for the diesel. It's longer at 79 inches, which the truck's size can aesthetically handle, and so would probably add a mile or three when on the horizon-long Interstates. But it was not on the market when I bought the Wilson 1000 all those years ago, and I must admit my ole Wilson has been a faithful servant and still performs with the best of them out there in the distance.

Last edited:

slowmover

I regularly use three mag-mount antennas with several compact CB radios interchangeably.

I mount each radio on a moveable block and so don't permanently mount any of them in a particular vehicle. So, the mag mounts are perfect matches to the radios.

When I need a radio, I just grab one of several I use, select which mag-mount antenna fits the mission, and in five minutes or so I'm ready to go. I also put a compact KL 203P kicker in the coax train when I need a bit of extra range; e.g. when not in a caravan situation.

I use a 33-inch as-trimmed K30 mag mount antenna for on a TJ Wrangler Jeep, mounted on the hood. It's good for short-range hunting in the wood with other hunters within a mile or two. It's good when going through brush and I can keep an eye on it. Of course, occasionally it can be overcome by an errant limb or whatever in my way, and so I stop and plop it back on. When that happens, it's a good warning that my windshield is at risk if I proceed, so stopping to cut the limb is advisable anyway.

I also have a 56-inch as-trimmed Wilson 500 mag mount for use on the Wrangler when the brush is not too bad and/or the hunters are spread out a little farther. The 500 also is in regular use on my Mazda3 sedan when on long highway trips. It does reach out very well, and at 56 inches it's well-proportioned to the size of the car; IE, it looks good on the roof without creating the radio-controlled-car look when I position it on the roof-center but biased a bit to the rear.

And finally there's my 62-inch Wilson 1000 mag mount in center roof position on my F250 diesel used for hauling a travel trailer from coast-to-coast. The 1000 has been my top performer for the past two decades on the truck, but it's just a bit too much for use on a small sedan or a woods-going four-wheel-drive.

My setups are built for flexibility and work well for me. I didn't worry about the cost when I bought them because I knew they were investments that I would depend on for many years, as per my way of doing things. And it's worked out well.

If I were buying my stuff today, I'd probably select a Sirio 5000 instead of the Wilson 1000 for the diesel. It's longer at 79 inches, which the truck's size can aesthetically handle, and so would probably add a mile or three when on the horizon-long Interstates. But it was not on the market when I bought the Wilson 1000 all those years ago, and I must admit my ole Wilson has been a faithful servant and still performs with the best of them out there in the distance.

That mile or three is real. (Not a minor consideration).

I recently bought two (2) sets of Skipshooter antennas in 6’ & 7’.

There’s a marked difference in RX/TX on the KW given the radio system is first class.

Same as for Little Wil versus a worthwhile mag mount (which are tall). But the difference is much greater.

Heighth is Might.

Distant Early Warning is the thing. Typical CB rigs lack the range to fully exploit 11-Meter capability.

With DSP in the audio chain, the radio is better than you thought it was.

Won’t happen with the short antennas. “Best” (a minimum of 5’) where 14’ isn’t exceeded (the single limit while mobile).

Last edited:

prcguy

Maybe the coil will handle 3500 watts briefly but probably not for even 30 seconds continuous. Same with the whip, at that much power it will start burning the end off rather quickly in a blue flaming death. I'll bet a dollar that at 1kW continuous, that Tram 3500 will fail within a few minutes tops.

When you say the difference in performance is about 2 S units, an S unit is a 6dB change in signal level or power level or antenna gain. 6dB change in power level is 4X, so if you increase your power from 4 watts to 16 watts you will go up by one S unit. 2 S units would be a 12dB change so you have either gone from 4 to 32 watts or if the power has not changed the antenna gain went up by 12dB. I don't think there is 12dB difference between the two mag mounts mentioned and probably less than 3dB. Or the radio making the measurements has an S meter that's broken.

I'll disagree on the Little Wil being a marginal performer. The Tram 3500 is more closely related to the Wilson 5000 than the Wilson 1000. It has a 57 inch mast and a coil capable of handling 3500 watts.

The difference in performance from the Little Wil is, in experience, only about 2 S units. I think the Little Wil holds it's own quite well, given it's smaller size.

slowmover

I think I understand the S-unit characterization.

The Lil Wil is okay only in the remote regions of the West. (I’ve done it as truck wrangler).

But it’s not appropriate anywhere east of IH-35 or the major metro regions out west (and past coastal range).

FPR1981

I have a Realistic TRC-216 and a Dave Made M80 amp in my Honda. With the Tram 300, I talked intelligibly to stations 10 and 11 miles away in varied terrain. And that M80 does not have a receive preamp.

For a 30 dollar antenna, I have zero complaints.

Compared to my Tram 3500 with the White Tornado 225 in my truck, which is essentially a Wilson 5000 clone, the difference isn't staggering. In cases where the other party reported me at a solid 9db on their meter with the bigger antenna, I was a 5 swinging 7 on the smaller antenna.

Yes, the larger size of the 3500 is advantageous, but I can't complain about the performance of the 300.

And I'm aware that most antenna manufacturers are thoroughly full of chit when they rate the output tolerance of these antennas. Who in the eff runs 3500 watts in a mobile, outside of competition people?

And you're limited by the RG8X as well. They just want to impress the average CBer with those figures.

slowmover

Remove the amp. That’s the crutch most have to use to be heard.

Test it with a dual-final export, to be more realistic. (Same for other party; both moving, not stationary)

Distance is Hear, and be Heard. Reliability over distance favors the better antenna.

An amp when one can’t be heard as far as he can hear (leaving aside Skip and SSB for the moment) is, IMO, the approach best suited to satisfactory results.

DSP in the audio chain to uncover how well the radio can REALLY receive.

Match up TX/RX distances. “Barefoot” radios.

Amp choice is last (ideally isn’t needed).

It’s not a perfect comparison to say that a typical fleet-spec big truck with 100-200W is the equal of a car/pickup/SUV/minivan with an export, but it’s not far off. The latter vehicle can get away with a lesser antenna, but the big truck falls on its face without antenna system “maximization “.

Just to be heard isn’t the same as capturing vocal details. Words aren’t everything.

The $50-$80 more for best magnet-mount won’t be matched spending it elsewhere.

As above, the difference from 6’ to 7’ (same antenna brand & design) hitched or bobtail can be told.

Thr difference from Lil Wil versus a triple mag-mount with 5’ Skipshooter on the roof of a rental vehicle is LARGE.

What one can HEAR precedes how far he can be heard.

The only reason to own a Lil Wil is that nothing else was available at short notice. And it will mean not being able to use Squelch + RF Gain such to ameliorate noise WITH VOLUME UP to hopefully capture TX at a distance.

CB Radio typical to cars or commercial vehicles isn’t to be recommended.

FPR1981

Other reasons to own a Little Wil: Your wife will not be cool with a Skipshooter on top of her vehicle. Or, a larger antenna is not possible due to an occupational parking garage.

I own various export radios. I have a Connex 4300HP that has 100 watts of output. I also have a Galaxy that's similar.

But when you talk about good receive, I have a Cobra 29 LTD Soundtracker that has a better receive than any radio I own. My tech, who is a very picky ham, was astounded when he bench tested the Cobra against other radios. He said it had the best receiver he has seen out of any mobile CB, and to him that was painful to admit.

I have always been cognizant that your station is only as good as your antenna. But if all you have is a Little Wil, it's probably the best low profile mag mount on the market.

The DSP inline filter or external speaker is a future investment for me. I've researched them extensively and I'm convinced they're a winner.

Now, you say to remove the amp. But didn't I see you many times say that a good antenna, DSP filter and a KL203P makes for a great station?

FPR1981

Why is it that my Tram 3500 comes with RG8X and these magnets made to handle some of the best antennas on the market come with chincy RG58?

You have an antenna with a 1,000-watt continuous coil rating (5,000 max short time) and coax that will barely handle more than a few hundred watts. Makes sense, right?

Last edited:

prcguy

I see many different power ratings for RG-8X depending on mfr ranging from 360 watts to about 1200 watts. I also find several articles where people running 700 watts at 28MHz say their RG-8X jumpers between amp and wattmeter get very warm. So basically CB antenna power ratings are exactly the same as CB antenna gain figures, just pick a number out of the sky and put it in print. Its all the same as the stuff that comes out of a bulls butt.

So what you have to do is gain some experience blowing some antennas up and burning down some coax and then you can just look at a particular antenna and have a better idea of what it can do. For me looking at the antennas mentioned and the power ratings I refer you back to the bulls butt statement in all cases.

Why is it that my Tram 3500 comes with RG8X and these magnets made to handle some of the best antennas on the market come with chincy RG58?

You have an antenna with a 1,000-watt continuous coil rating (5,000 max short time) and coax that will barely handle watts. Makes sense, right?

slowmover

You have an antenna with a 1,000-watt continuous coil rating (5,000 max short time) and coax that will barely handle more than a few hundred watts. Makes sense, right?

Only worthwhile test is RX distance. Ones mobile gets out farther, it’s a bad choice of amp (not to mention difficulties associated with very high power).

A good match between RX & TX is valid.

Upgrading coax seems a no-brainer re shielding, flex, etc. Being able to swap in a new jumper is obligatory.

“Power Handling” is neither here nor there.

slowmover

2E5F4B26-E9C7-4A7D-B27E-775B37BA0339.jpeg

1D283039-9D6E-44EF-BDD7-1CFFB8ECF4ED.jpeg

Came across this thread looking for other info tonight.

Resuscitated my Workman Starpad Launcher Triple Mag Antenna Mount to serve as test station while I go thru, test, and install systems in the pickup.

The stand-in for the BREEDLOVE Puck Mount to be installed.

I’ll be carrying 4-5 antennas under the bed cover so am using HUSTLER Quick Disconnects as I have a half-dozen or more of them. (Leave mount portion installed and upper on each antenna).

I’ve had air checks at 7-10/miles with a quarter-wave and with a PROCOMM QW45 from a Uniden 885/203 combo.

But a SIRIO PL-160 & a 5000 Antenna would be a better choice.

As always, the amount of CMC makes mag mounts undesirable with or without the QD.

slowmover

Other reasons to own a Little Wil: Your wife will not be cool with a Skipshooter on top of her vehicle. Or, a larger antenna is not possible due to an occupational parking garage.

I own various export radios. I have a Connex 4300HP that has 100 watts of output. I also have a Galaxy that's similar.

But when you talk about good receive, I have a Cobra 29 LTD Soundtracker that has a better receive than any radio I own. My tech, who is a very picky ham, was astounded when he bench tested the Cobra against other radios. He said it had the best receiver he has seen out of any mobile CB, and to him that was painful to admit.

I have always been cognizant that your station is only as good as your antenna. But if all you have is a Little Wil, it's probably the best low profile mag mount on the market.

The DSP inline filter or external speaker is a future investment for me. I've researched them extensively and I'm convinced they're a winner.

Now, you say to remove the amp. But didn't I see you many times say that a good antenna, DSP filter and a KL203P makes for a great station?

Remove the extraneous to get to the heart of things.

FiveFilter

That PROCOMM is impressive standing up to a big ole quarter-wave 108.

One thing for sure: it has to be a lot easier to get around town with!