Afghanistan / Haiti Amateur radio....

Status
Not open for further replies.

fires999

Hi Forum,
I realise that at this time things are really crazy at the moment , I was wondering if there were any Emergency Net frequencies relating to these two areas ?
I know the Amateur Community really comes together in crisis times and over here in the UK have monitored Hurricane nets etc. in the past

* Please note if anybody feels that this post is insensitive or inappropriate, I apologise in advance and Admin/Moderators please delete as you see fit , I'm not wishing to offend *
Fires999

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
The Radio Club of Haiti had previously requested that certain HF frequencies be kept clear for relief traffic from Haiti. The frequencies are listed in this recent ARRL news item. Radio Club of Haiti President Reports Significant Structural Damage from Earthquake

I heard a rumor today that the Cuban government is trying to jam those frequencies.

As for Afghanistan, there never has been much amateur radio presence in that country.

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
I heard a rumor today that the Cuban government is trying to jam those frequencies.

Well...kinda. The ARRL (or whomever requested the net frequencies, IARU maybe?) just happened to pick the home of the Cuban jammers. They have been camped on 7.150 long before it was picked as a net frequency for the earthquake.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator

fires999

Hi Forum,
Thanks for all replies and links to appropriate articles - again , forum has come up trumps (excuse the pun) with info regarding the terrible events.
Quick question , I did see the reply that Afghanistan lacked in Amateur Radio ,however can someone suggest callsigns for that part of the world please ?
Thanks in advance,
fires999 (On duty and V.Very busy at USAF Mildenhall in England with aircraft staging for Afghan)

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
The assigned call prefix for Afghanistan is YA and or T6!
T6EU was at one time the call of a fellow stationed in Kabul with the EU Police Mission...status now is unknown! Worked him back in 2019!!! My last trip there was 2018 and it was almost totally foreigners operating in Afghanistan with the T6 prefix

RadioDXfun

Omni low angle radiator
There was a guy working for the UN posted there in the Kabul area until some months back and I was lucky enough to work
him. I imagine contacts to Afghanistan now will be very few and far between. He created a pretty big pile up when he appeared. He
was a very good op. He did not suffer fools gladly on the frequency and I luckily I followed his QSY request due to local
QRM/QRN and managed to get through.

fires999

RadioDXfun and others.....
Thanks for reply and info - wished I had caught that snap shot in time...wow !!!
Yep, sadly I don't think at this time we will hear that much activity , but I'd happily be proven wrong !

Have a Happy & Safe New Year for 2022.....
Regards
K (USAF Fire Dept here in sunny old England)

RadioDXfun

Omni low angle radiator
Happy new year to you also. Running 100W and a quarter wave at the time I had to have persistence and an unusual event (The QSY) as I
was paying close attention I broke through. It goes to show the wall of beamed kilowatts ERP of RF is a tough cookie to crack
for a more humble station. You need to stay alert and play the long game, sometimes you are up for it and sometimes not.

He was/is a good op, very efficient and ran the frequency well.

Status
Not open for further replies.