AFRRCS - Alberta First Responders' Radio Communication System - INFO HERE

harryshute

Premium Subscriber
I can now see an intended use of the "Turn off Encryption" icon on RCMP Harris Dispatch consoles. Last night EPS NW pursued a vehicle into Parkland County. They did a patch to the RCMP on 2776 and the only clear mountie transmission was from NAOCC. All EPS units were in the clear so most likely they could be received by Parkland units. So at least NAOCC could relay messages and communicate with the encrypted RCMP units.

I do know EPS Air 1 has the Edmonton area RCMP talk groups in it's radio and does communicate encrypted with RCMP.

kayn1n32008

ÆS, I put that shøt on everything.
I can now see an intended use of the "Turn off Encryption" icon on RCMP Harris Dispatch consoles. Last night EPS NW pursued a vehicle into Parkland County. They did a patch to the RCMP on 2776 and the only clear mountie transmission was from NAOCC. All EPS units were in the clear so most likely they could be received by Parkland units. So at least NAOCC could relay messages and communicate with the encrypted RCMP units.

I do know EPS Air 1 has the Edmonton area RCMP talk groups in it's radio and does communicate encrypted with RCMP.
I believe we will eventually see some encrypted inter-police agency talkgroups to avoid what you just described.

harryshute

Premium Subscriber
I believe we will eventually see some encrypted inter-police agency talkgroups to avoid what you just described.
Well I hope so but they already do in the 3000 range of talk groups. In a pursuit they don't want to have to search and change to another group so they patch. As long as the RCMP refuse to share encryption codes with their partners you will have this problem. Another example of this was when the Cross Iron Mills shooting occurred RCMP called in CPS and they patched to Calgary 5 in the clear.

SierraTangoAlpha

Premium Subscriber
I have a 325P2 and have programmed it using the RR Database and ARC Butel with the AFFRCS data for Alberta. I have locked out a few locations that are distant. I am getting hits in the clear with location info and UID's that don't seem to make much sense. I am getting EDSON & Villenueve hits and also some obviously city transit UIDs showing up with locations that don't seem to make any sense.

I have the City Transit and Public Works locked out and yet for some reason I am still getting them showing up as Villenueve..or Edson sometimes. Not sure what I have done wrong. I am still getting the occaisonal call for plate inquires, etc.. but again not always seeming to match up.

If anyone has any info that will help me progam my scanner effectively I would appreciate it. ( I just got a hit that comes up as EDSON -154 with a UID that I missed.)
Not sure what I am doing wrong, but I need to prune some of the data so that I am only getting the relevant locations and TG showing up

omrail

TG 154 would make perfect sense to be broadcast on the Edson tower as it is the central CPO TG. Tower name info has nothing to do with the agency your hearing necessarily. Just means that there is a radio associated with that tower at the time of the broadcast. For example I get Strathcona quite a lot on the Leduc tower

harryshute

Premium Subscriber
From your previous posts I see you are west of Edmonton and perhaps Villeneuve is your main tower. Even if you lockout the transit talk groups you may be getting Edmonton transit buses in individual mode so make sure your scanner isn't scanning individual messages. The highway buses go to Spruce Grove so are often on Villeneuve. Keep in mind Edmonton Fire also seem to splatter into the towers surrounding Edmonton.

Could there be a duplication of frequencies in the Villeneuve and Edson towers? You really shouldn't hear Edson if receiving just west of Edmonton. But as the previous poster said it's not uncommon to hear 154 near Edson.

How is your radio working at receiving Edmonton Simulcast? I haven't heard any reports positive or negative connected to your particular model.