AFRRCS - Alberta First Responders' Radio Communication System - INFO HERE

harryshute

Premium Subscriber
County of Grande Prairie getting on the AFRRCS wagon too!

I've come up with 3 talk grounps but don't know the names of each.
TGID

Radio ID's starting at i340001 - Does the 34 represent the agency number? Cause GP City Fire is ids starting at i5380001

Yes Agency number for the County would be 34.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
I too have seen groups 501 to 507 over the winter and some voice testing but nothing to give away the user. Jay I'm with you on Forestry.

TG 520 with RIDs in the 402xxxx range, definitely talking about AAF related things.

Picked up agency 655 doing a bunch of testing on TGs 4061 thru 4063 over the past few days.

CP Rail Police, at least in the Calgary region.

Jay911

Feed Provider
TG 520 with RIDs in the 402xxxx range, definitely talking about AAF related things.

A recording today went something along the lines of "Firenet tech, this is whiskey bravo ###". I suspect this might be a Wood Buffalo officer...?

Jay911

Feed Provider
The last I heard was that AAF wasn't interested in AFRRCS because they had a functional system with Firenet. Maybe they're only on AFRRCS because all GoA entities are expected to take part.

Logistically it's also more difficult to make a trunked radio system work for all the components of a Wildfire organization. Aircraft already come with basic, frequency-agile analog UHF/VHF radios, so they can talk on Firenet all day long when it comes to doing tanker work. Imagine if we had a fire of the size and ferocity that needed some group like Tanker 910 (a DC-10 based tanker system) or the GST (Global Supertanker, a 747-400 based tanker) and our only option was AFRRCS.

Similar issues would hound deployment of foreign ground-based attack crews (though the cache of AFRRCS radios the system has available would make that a little easier).

I suspect there's lots of life left in Firenet at this point.

thundermedic

Database Administrator
Premium Subscriber
The last I heard was that AAF wasn't interested in AFRRCS because they had a functional system with Firenet. Maybe they're only on AFRRCS because all GoA entities are expected to take part.

Logistically it's also more difficult to make a trunked radio system work for all the components of a Wildfire organization. Aircraft already come with basic, frequency-agile analog UHF/VHF radios, so they can talk on Firenet all day long when it comes to doing tanker work. Imagine if we had a fire of the size and ferocity that needed some group like Tanker 910 (a DC-10 based tanker system) or the GST (Global Supertanker, a 747-400 based tanker) and our only option was AFRRCS.

Similar issues would hound deployment of foreign ground-based attack crews (though the cache of AFRRCS radios the system has available would make that a little easier).

I suspect there's lots of life left in Firenet at this point.

I would also suspect that they are on AFRRCS for base operations and logistics with a patch (through the same satellite uplink that AFRRCS and the FireNET remote stations use) for patching into the POC and regional EOC for interop.

This way established operations can be maintained with the portable repeater systems AAF have had for years can be maintained and they won’t have to loan out or have radios re-programmed when there is a large scale incident like Slave Lake or Wood Buffalo.

With more FD’s starting to acquire AFRRCS radios they will have less that can go VHF into FireNET.

ahp309

Any FD's close to the mountains or across the North switching to AFRRCS would have VHF in their radios to access the AFRRCS VHF towers. Why would they not be programmed to access the FireNET VHF?

Jay911

Feed Provider
AFRRCS has a pretty firm stance against connecting systems, i.e. patching/linking. I think that's why you don't see a lot more agencies online, where they might connect their legacy system with AFRRCS and "go live" in stages, so to speak. So I am thinking that AAF would be unlikely to patch AFRRCS to Firenet or Fireline.

I did see that Sexsmith FD announced they're on the system now; I believe they would be one of the TGs mentioned at the top of this page by Harry and lzrman.

steven_3431

Looks like Medicine Hat Fire Dept joined the AFRRCS train! TG 3902 is quite busy with audio traffic. Radio ID i5109987 (only one available so far)

Last edited:

lzrman

Have you logged any of the radio id numbers? That should tell us the Agency number for Grande Prairie County unless we have already determined that.

i34#### is the format for county so far.

I also know that there is 12 radios for there community peace officers to use.

Jay911

Feed Provider
Hearing Laglace Fire dispatched on TGID 3795

Perhaps a tac channel, as I have heard that they share a dispatch channel with Wembley, Beaverlodge, and Hythe on 3763...?

Looks like Medicine Hat Fire Dept joined the AFRRCS train! TG 3902 is quite busy with audio traffic. Will add radio IDs as soon as I get them.

Is it simulcasting their old channel, or unique traffic only heard on AFRRCS?

lzrman

Perhaps a tac channel, as I have heard that they share a dispatch channel with Wembley, Beaverlodge, and Hythe on 3763...?

3763 is shared by west stations (wembley, beaverlodge, hythe, laglace) to my knowledge. And is repeated on the old analog channel. But i've heard laglace on 3795 too. maybe a sub channel of the main channel for scene specific stuff?

steven_3431

Looks like right now its a simulcasting their old channel. Yesterday there was a house fire and TG 3902 and MHFD CH1 were broadcasting the same. I see more TG's popping up today (3902, 3903, 3922, 3892) all 501xxxx Possibly MHPS, transit and utilites. Medicine Hat announced previously they are changing to AFRRCS. Will update on forums when I definitely know. (Just working right now and Untrunker is not working for audio)