AFRRCS - Alberta First Responders' Radio Communication System - INFO HERE

harryshute

Premium Subscriber
Confirmed 2781 as Tofield in Beaver County. There was a pursuit from Edmonton out through Strathcona to just outside Tofield.
Confirmed 2731 as Devon in Leduc County. Very quiet group as it was on PACS A14.
Confirmed 2771 as Spruce Grove but not in service as EPS had a pursuit out that way and patched to Spruce Grove rather than Parkland.
No one answered on 2771 as Parkland 2776 dispatches both the old Spruce Grove detachment and old Stony Plain detachment. I guess the talk groups were assigned before the two detachments combined. Believe 2771 may have been assigned for the future in case Spruce Grove City gets too busy for the one talk group.

harryshute

Premium Subscriber
They haven't made the AFRRCS migration yet but do have an agency number and have been doing radio tests. AFAIK they are still on the LTR Passport system. It's not as easy to monitor as LTR. They didn't use to be encrypted.

bilgeneutron

Premium Subscriber
Getting some interesting/unusual TGID's on St. Albert AFRRCS : i420006 SRC, i4244433 DST, etc. Recorded activity sounds like roadways and streets possibly involving snow clearing. Clips are very short at around 1 sec. ? I'm thinking contractors using loaner portables. Anyone else seen this?

harryshute

Premium Subscriber
Getting some interesting/unusual TGID's on St. Albert AFRRCS : i420006 SRC, i4244433 DST, etc. Recorded activity sounds like roadways and streets possibly involving snow clearing. Clips are very short at around 1 sec. ? I'm thinking contractors using loaner portables. Anyone else seen this?

It's not uncommon to have signals that originate in the Edmonton Simulcast cluster to splatter into areas surrounding the city. This is true of the County of Strathcona. What I believe you were hearing were two Strathcona TAS (Transportation and Streets?) units talking in individual mode. 420006 a Dispatch console was talking to 424433 TAS. I took one of the 4's out as 4244433 is an ETS bus and it's unlikely TAS base would have been talking to them. Do you hear all the Edmonton Fire units that seem to like going to the St. Albert tower?

Junior1980

Premium Subscriber
Don’t normally post publicly because it is not my thing. Wondering if anyone knows if fire in St Paul County such as Elk Point St Pau,l Ashmont and Malliag are on AFFRCS yet?

harryshute

Premium Subscriber
I have confirmed 2773 as RCMP Sherwood Park. It is not currently used but I figure it may be for the future when Sherwood Park grows enough to have it's own dispatch group. They currently use 2772 Strathcona. EPS had a pursuit into their area and they asked for a patch to Sherwood Park. I guess EPS looked at the patch list and picked 2773 instead of 2772. No one replied and the pursuit was terminated. I see the same west when they patch to the unused Spruce Grove group. I expect to see the same when a pursuit goes south and they pick the unused Beaumont group rather than Leduc.

harryshute

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone have any info on a new site for me 05A-032 NAC 3CC? I'd heard there was a fill in site destined for EIA so this may be it. I'm not currently running UT but I do have 9 of the LCN's. Very little clear voice but I've heard Beaumont CPO, Leduc City Fire, Thorsby Fire and EIA Fire. Two of the LCN's I have are used at Alder Flats. Is that enough distance between them? I guess they use different NAC's.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
Does anyone have any info on a new site for me 05A-032 NAC 3CC? I'd heard there was a fill in site destined for EIA so this may be it. I'm not currently running UT but I do have 9 of the LCN's. Very little clear voice but I've heard Beaumont CPO, Leduc City Fire, Thorsby Fire and EIA Fire. Two of the LCN's I have are used at Alder Flats. Is that enough distance between them? I guess they use different NAC's.

Site neighbors/peers/adjacents should help identify the site if someone can put a control channel analyzer software (DSD+, UT, PRO96COM, etc) on it.

Something I discovered about site NACs on AFRRCS a while back which may be useful to people who can make use of the info - example, people with SDS scanners (which can set and use the NAC of a site)...

If you (know and) take the "AFRRCS Site ID" (not necessarily the same as the P25 site ID, for example St Albert is 05A-52, but is AFRRCS site 0212), and add 780 decimal, the result will be the NAC in decimal - convert to hex to get the hex NAC. So St Albert is 212, add 780 you get 992, convert to hex you get 3E0.

So 3CC is AFRRCS site 0192. This has worked for me for every 700 site so far. The VHF sites (VDOC and multichannel sites, not MTRs) seem to be similar, add 300 instead of 780, but do the dec to hex calculation just the same.