Afrrcs

Status
Not open for further replies.

newtoscanning

Hello,

Don't know if it's too early to know/ask but I'm going give it a shot. From what I've read on the gov't of Alberta's website/press releases, and on RR the gov't is going to pay for the infrastructure of the province wide system, and individual departments will be responsible for purchasing portables/mobiles, etc.

My question is does the province also pick up the tab for licensing/programming (Industry Canada's fee, etc) or is that also a responsibility of the individual department.

I know a few systems (public safety) in Ontario operate both ways. Some you pay for licensing and some you don't. Anyone know?

Thanks,

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
That's a good question that hasn't been brought up yet, to the best of my knowledge. I'd presume the users would be on the hook for their own licensing fees, just because I figure the province will not plan to spend any more $ on me than they have to. :)

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Maybe this is a more appropriate thread to discuss some of the costs associated with this Alberta Health/Ambulance merger. I'm more concerned about the overall cost to the taxapayer/consumer on this whole concept. Licensing will be a part of the costs whether the Alberta government or the individual department picks up the cost. Either way, the taxpayer pays for it. If there are no additional radios required, the cost for licensing should remain fairly static as current radios should be licensed anyhow. But what will be the overall costs in money and lifes? That is the bigger question. In another thread [and my response may not have been appropriate], it was pointed out that fire is often dispatched to an amulance costs basically on the basis that there are more available fire personal and equipment than ambulances. I already knew that fire personal will drive ambulances or assist with CPR, etc. if a person requires it. But when I make a call to 911, [and granted, it depends on the emerg.] I might expect one ambulance and 3-4 fire personel to show up, not one ambulance and 12 fire personel for all of whom I may be billed. I think the government should come out and state what, how, who, why, where all this is leading too. They too often hide behind the fact that the process is being tendered and after everything is in place, they drop the bomb on people about the actual costs [to the individual person, not the government].

Now, not certain why this question was brought up. Are you thinking it would make searching for frequencies easier if the Alberta Government was the licensee?

newtoscanning

Perfect.

That's a good question that hasn't been brought up yet, to the best of my knowledge. I'd presume the users would be on the hook for their own licensing fees, just because I figure the province will not plan to spend any more $ on me than they have to. :)

Thanks Jay!

Maybe this is a more appropriate thread to discuss some of the costs associated with this Alberta Health/Ambulance merger.

Umm... this thread is related to ARRRCS as the title mentions, and as my question was posed asking about the radio network, with no specific references to EMS, police, fire, swat, sherifs, RCMP, etc. etc...

I'm more concerned about the overall cost to the taxapayer/consumer on this whole concept. Licensing will be a part of the costs whether the Alberta government or the individual department picks up the cost. Either way, the taxpayer pays for it.

Unless a private rescue company is using the system or since you are a ham operator the amateur radio group that supports CFD in their operations (sorry can't think of the name off the top of my head), they aren't funded by taxpayers, but could use the system.

If there are no additional radios required, the cost for licensing should remain fairly static as current radios should be licensed anyhow.

Not if they are currently using cell phones, or on a Mike network, or are licensing multiple UHF/VHF/800mhz frequencies for interobilitiy.

But what will be the overall costs in money and lifes? That is the bigger question.

An RFQ went out if I'm not mistaken, I usually estimate 1M per radio site, now I know I'm gonna get flamed for saying that by a radio tech, but it seems to work out when ever I run the numbers. So 300 sites = 300Million. And there should be a positive effect for the lives part, that's the whole point of spending the money!

In another thread [and my response may not have been appropriate],

If you are brining that up then it probably was not appropriate.

it was pointed out that fire is often dispatched to an amulance costs basically on the basis that there are more available fire personal and equipment than ambulances. I already knew that fire personal will drive ambulances or assist with CPR, etc. if a person requires it. But when I make a call to 911, [and granted, it depends on the emerg.] I might expect one ambulance and 3-4 fire personel to show up, not one ambulance and 12 fire personel for all of whom I may be billed. I think the government should come out and state what, how, who, why, where all this is leading too. They too often hide behind the fact that the process is being tendered and after everything is in place, they drop the bomb on people about the actual costs [to the individual person, not the government].

Umm... and this has absolutely what to do with who pays for radio licensing to Industry Canada....

Now, not certain why this question was brought up. Are you thinking it would make searching for frequencies easier if the Alberta Government was the licensee?

As with all system that I've seen with this nature, the frequencies are restricted in the TAFL search since they are used for law enforcement/public safety, and further more on a trunking system of this type (the ones that I'm familiar with) you aren't licensing frequencies, but each radio (Think about it, each individual frequency, 300 sites, avg 6 channels a site, now they do recycle some feqs, but your looking at least a couple grand per radio per year if it was done that way.)

It sounds like your upset with the current state of 911 response, and I'm sorry to hear that but coming from outside Alberta, I can tell you right now, your at least 5 years (In my opinion more like 10) ahead than other provinces.

If you truly believe in what you posted above, I highly recommend you take the opportunity to take part in every single town hall that is hosted (many of which I've seen postings for and a few been invited to) regardless if it is for Fire, Police, or EMS, or a new radio system, or the coast guard whatever. Go to council meetings, and voice your opinion and concerns where they need to be voiced.

Just my 2 cents.

Again Thank you Jay! One day, if we ever meet, I owe you a beer.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Not to belittle anyone, are not cell phone, mike networks licensed? The cost may not show a license cost, but the network provider certainly pays a fee for the usage of the cell phone, etc.. Thus the cost would be transparent or hidden somewhere in the costs already.

For attending council meetings, forums etc., unfortunately, being employed leaves little time for this. However, have sent numerous proposals, concerns, etc. in regard to our deteriorating Health Care system in Alberta. And I have been invovled in this for over 55 years [won't get into this as not the proper thread]. But want to point out that Alberta once had the best Health Care in the WORLD. Now it has been reduced to a disgrace. I am just trying to bring to everyones attention that what should be Transparent about this change is hardly that. If it affects my and my family lives than I have a concern. I really don't care if it will be scannable, but am frustrated by the lack of information on what this change will bring about.

Happy New Year.

Status
Not open for further replies.