After a fix and mods, now for programming my BCT15X

Status
Not open for further replies.

merlin

Well, for a master EE I am confused as hell. Seems the manual has its own nomenclature that changes with all the different functions.
Can't possibly be that complicated.
All I want to do is search a range of frequencies saving anything that comes down the line. I know I can sort out later after decoding digital and put them into a [system] < (bad term for this) Trunked radio excepted. Problem here is how the hell does one navigate to the simple search and save feature, then how does one access the saved search?
I managed to save a few known analog channels, save them, and scan them, that part works.
Now according to the manual, you have to "hold" on a found frequency then save it. It might take hours of babysitting to find these very short beeps that come up.
Been using a spectrum analyzer to find what I do have saved, narrowing each to a frequency then manually adding it to my saves. Definitely the hard way.
And what about all the different flavors of trunked systems, seems you have to know about each to save them right for scanning/tracking later.
Catch 22 because I use the scanner to pipe the data to such as DSD+ and DSCdecode. Scan scope is hot but nothing to put into it. (GRRRR)
Lets start simple like how to search and save a frequency range. (I need examples here)
There is not a lot of radio where I live, but miss listening to fire and police dispatch, they have gone to trunking, maybe LTR.

merlin

And will not do well on the narrow banded frequencies. Same on the BCT8.
Guess mine is the newer sort as it DOES scan digital and does very nicely NFM. Found better sound with a decent external speaker.
Some cut and paste:
Your BCT15 is designed to track the following types of trunking systems.
• Motorola Type I, Type II, Type IIi hybrid, SMARTNET, and PRIVACYPLUS
analog trunking systems, which are extensively used in 800 MHz
communication systems.
• LTR trunking systems
• EDACS SCAT trunking systems
• EDACS trunking systems
Looking for the section on DMR, in there somewhere, primarily for amateur, but digital is digital.

merlin

Setup a custom search range
Select Search and Store
Select system to save this in
Yea, I am figuring this out on my own, more a matter of keeping track of key sequences for all the different things which is a lot.

merlin

I get these digital bursts, some as long as a minute apart and only 500 ms so the burst has to be up when the scanner crosses paths to find it.
My alternate is getting to frequency with the analyzer, then just program a new frequency. Yet need to pipe this stuff into DSD+ to see what it is.

ka3aaa

Premium Subscriber
What part of "analogue only" dont you understand, hearing and decoding digital are two completely different things, the 15x will not decode digital in any form or otherwise. its strictly an analogue only scanner, period.

dmr forget about it with the 15x.

JimD56

KO9JAD/Fire Lieutenant/Paramedic
Feed Provider
Your BCT15 is designed to track the following types of trunking systems.
• Motorola Type I, Type II, Type IIi hybrid, SMARTNET, and PRIVACYPLUS
analog trunking systems, which are extensively used in 800 MHz
communication systems.
I have a BCT15x and use it for VHF/UHF only. It will not scan anything digital, meaning NO DMR, NO P25 I or II that is digital.

cg

Premium Subscriber
He did mention using a mod and DSDPlus so I would assume a discriminator output. However, trunktracking or following a single conversation on a trunked digital system is not possible as the programs will not retune the scanner to the appropriate voice frequency. You can use the analog scanner with a discriminator tap and DSDPlus for conventional (non-trunked) or for control channel following only.
The problem is that it is a bandaid approach to searching for digital signals.

Status
Not open for further replies.