After a while no audio playback with Trunking Recorder

Jphila20

Retired LE. Honor our Fallen.
Premium Subscriber
I am running two computers using Untrunker 2.1.0.102. One of the computers will lose audio when I play back a recorder talk group. Unitrunker still continues to play the audio as if nothing is wrong. On playback with Trunking Recorder it shows all the normal information time, date target and the length of time of the call. The bar shows it's playing, but no sound. The computer is set to Never Sleep.

I was running 3 SDR's with VAC and 3 cables. One is signal and voice while the others are voice only. It has been working for quite a while. One of the voice SDR's is set to cover two specific 800 MHz channels while the other two were covering the 700MHz channels.

I did a complete shutdown and restart. Restarted Unitrunker and Trunking Recorder this morning. The system recorded audio for one call then the rest shows they were recorded, but no sound on playback.

I ran sfc /scannow and I got a message that there were errors and they were fixed.

Did another complete restart and same issue. I have been using this computer for about a year with Unitrunker and Trunking Recorder with no issues.

This evening when I got home I had the same issue on playback.

So. It seems that after changing the SDR with 2 VFO's, Signal and voice to signal only the issue went away. I was running 2 SDR for the 700MHZ because of heavy traffic.

Any thoughts? Anyone else ever heard of this issue?

I'll run just 2 voice SDR's for a while and then add a 3rd SDR for voice only and see if the issue repeats.

No matter what, this is a Great program.

Thanks!

John

Hi John,

Not sure if you determined the problem. I happened to find out - the hard way - a couple of vagaries:

1) Squelch needs to be turned off or the recording will have silent stretches in it. Also, if a wanted signal that will be processed digitally on a squelched frequency breaks squelch, my experience is the slight delay involved in detecting the squelch break will cause the beginning part of the start of data to be truncated
2) The volume being set to zero on my SDS-100s will result in silence in the .wav too. I have never intentionally tried recording with volume set low or zero from the audio stream produced by the Nooelec NESDR SDR, but I have experienced problems trying to process .wav files produced by the SDR.