SDS100/SDS200: After Firmware update - Quick Search Band Defaults issue on SDS100

TeeJayZee

Premium Subscriber
Firmware Version:
Main Version: 1.23.07
Sub Version: 1.03.06

After updating the firmware on my SDS100, I did a Quick Search for local commercial FM Radio broadcasts, and the modulation doesn't switch to FMB, instead it's displaying NFM.

For example: I dialed in 92.5 MHz and it's displaying NFM instead of FMB, so it doesn't pick up the transmission.

I checked the radio's Band Defaults and it seems to be set correctly: 88.0:FMB/100.0 kHz

Plus I also tried scanning (quick scan) AM frequencies (like CB Radio) and they are being modulated to NFM.

Not sure what I can check or test to see how to fix this?

Though the default waterfall feature (I don't haven't paid for the full feature) set between 96.4 thru 99.3 seems to pickup those FMB frequencies well. So not sure what is happening?

At least if I program my favorites a AM or FMB frequency it will read the frequency as long as I make sure I set it to AM or FMB, Auto at this point will not work.

TeeJayZee

Premium Subscriber
Check the modulation setting on the Band Defaults page in the profile.
It seems okay, here is a screenshot:

Clipboard_10-21-2024_03.jpg

UPDATE: I just tried to rollback to Sub Version: 1.03.05 -- the downgrade was successful, but I still have this issue.

Maybe it's a setting I messed with on the radio? I'll keep on looking, if all fails, I may end up resetting the settings on the radio, to see if I fix the issue...

Keep in mind that I haven't used this radio for a few months, until today when I decided to add some frequencies, and decided to update the firmware and also download the latest database. Since I plan to use it on a field trip sometime next week.

But if you've got more suggestions, please let me know...

UPDATE 2:

I found the issue and here is the solution.

In the Sentinel application, under edit profile there is a tab: Search/Close Call -- well, under Modulation it was set to NFM -- not sure why?

I then changed it to Auto (see attachment below -- see red arrows) and saved my profile and then wrote that to my radio and it was fixed.

Clipboard_10-21-2024_06.jpg

I guess I'll update the firmware to the latest one (since I do plan to purchase the waterfall feature this week) and monitor if it auto changes this setting. I don't know where in the radio's menu that setting exists. Anyone?

FYI: on a regular basis, I use Proscan to update my favorites on this radio, so my best guess is when I updated the database on the Sentinel application and wrote to the radio, this issue occurred? -- I still don't know why that setting would switch to only NFM... hmm?

Last edited:

TeeJayZee

Premium Subscriber
UPDATE 3:

Updating firmware Sub Version: 1.03.06 -- went smooth this time, no issues, and the profile was still good. Weird issue. Might have been a setting I made on the radio or shortcuts using the Function button or something... -- If I ever do find out, I'll provide another update to this thread...

Curious? Does anyone have the default profile setting for the Search/Close Call tab? I'd like to verify if the rest of the settings are set correctly compared to mine, since I also suspect that the Delay Setting is also wrong. Shouldn't it be set to 0 or 5 sec? Right now it's set to -10 sec on mine, but what this does is when it finds a frequency transmitting during a Quick Scan, it will only stay there for 10 seconds and then move on.

Last edited:

Ubbe

After updating the firmware on my SDS100, I did a Quick Search for local commercial FM Radio broadcasts, and the modulation doesn't switch to FMB, instead it's displaying NFM.

At least if I program my favorites a AM or FMB frequency it will read the frequency as long as I make sure I set it to AM or FMB, Auto at this point will not work.
In the Sentinel application, under edit profile there is a tab: Search/Close Call -- well, under Modulation it was set to NFM -- not sure why?I then changed it to Auto (see attachment below -- see red arrows) and saved my profile and then wrote that to my radio and it was fixed.
Your favorites programmed with Auto should have gotten the modulation mode from the bandplan. Whatever you do directly on the scanner should take immediate effect. So there where several issues here and not only the Search/CloseCall setting?
UPDATE: I just tried to rollback to Sub Version: 1.03.05 -- the downgrade was successful, but I still have this issue.
Sub version are only dealing with what the digital signalling processor are doing. It is the Main CPU version that handles everything else like settings and bandplan. So it makes sense.

Sometimes a software upgrade will move things around in memory. If feature 1 use memory location 1 and feature 2 memory 2 and feature 3 memory 3, and a new software introduce feature 4 but are placed in the order 1,4,2,3 if will use the old feature 2's value and feature 2 will use the old value that feature 3 have been using, and feature 3 are now using a totally new memory location that haven't been used before.

Whistler did this to a firmware upgrade that then made my old saved files unusable as it would then corrupt several settings and needed to use a cleared memory, much like Unidens Clear User Data function. I believe that Uniden have a function in firmware that set defaults to certain features during an upgrade, but can't do that if you manually do a downgrade as it is not aware of any future changes that use memory that are still free in the old firmware, and could mess up those stored values.

/Ubbe