SDS100/SDS200: After some facts about the usds 100

Netranger9

Hi everyone,sorry if I have posted this in the wrong spot. (as my first post,I could only put it here it seems)
This thread is asking for help regarding the title.Recently I purchased a usds100 scanner(here) and a GPS kit(US) and some other stuff and all said and done,by the time it got to Australia it was around $1300 AUD (quite a chunk of change).I have been watching a lot of youtube (all American based) on this radio and thought I was set to go.I realized shortly after that was NOT the case.
So I pulled it out of the box,charged the(small) battery up (took a REALLY long time) grabbed a coffee and thought first thing to try was the zipcode feature-DOSNT WORK HERE it seems-no matter what I try if you dont live in US or Canada (unless I am missing something ??).Tried plugging in the GPS and doing a auto search-NOTHING.Tried manual gps entry-NOTHING.
This was a real painfull realisation as 90% of use would be while mobile.BUT THIS WAS MADE FOR AUSTRALIA right,seems not.I can purchase a readymade SD card but that does not change the fact that I would manually have to pull over every 30 kms to reprogram the thing.Walked away for a few days then the next realization hit me.
I tried to register it for the bigger battery free upgrade-IT ONLY ACCEPTS USA AND CANADA (it seems) I CANT REGISTER IT.I was getting fairly mad now,starting to think they have just slapped a U on it and sent it.
If anyone has any ideas im all ears (its impossible to find any Australian content) and its looking more and more like Uniden has slapped me in the face with a cold fish,and that ive been had.They should at least INFORM people in other Countrys that the main features(for me at least WONT work).Sorry for the rant (what a 1st post,lol).
Not looking to upset anyone,but need some answers.
Thanks for reading.

JethrowJohnson

I'm sorry about all this inconvenience. I can't imagine how frustrated I'd be. But as far as the zip code goes, that's only for US and Canada. I don't really know too much about the GPS and stuff, but I think you should still be able to program it manually. There's also a programming software called Sentinel that you can download on the computer for free, and I think it would have Australia, but honestly I can't say for sure because I only have a tablet so I can't get it on here. I'm sorry about all this mess. If you have any questions about programming it I'd be glad to help. Where in Australia are you at?

SurgePGH

Premium Subscriber
I am not sure or familiar at all with regards to Australia radio frequencies at all.
If you have access to frequency lists in your area OR if you buy the pre-programmed SD card you should be able to give those frequencies GPS coordinates. With the GPS coordinates entered and a radius for each frequency the GPS feature SHOULD then take over. I'm not super sure on this as I am at work and don't have software in front of me but it's worth a shot.

Netranger9

I'm sorry about all this inconvenience. I can't imagine how frustrated I'd be. But as far as the zip code goes, that's only for US and Canada. I don't really know too much about the GPS and stuff, but I think you should still be able to program it manually. There's also a programming software called Sentinel that you can download on the computer for free, and I think it would have Australia, but honestly I can't say for sure because I only have a tablet so I can't get it on here. I'm sorry about all this mess. If you have any questions about programming it I'd be glad to help. Where in Australia are you at?
Thanks,I have sentinel and and am learning how you use it. It's just not what I had in mind,lol.I live in Byron Bay nsw.Still a great piece of kit,was really looking forward to jumping in the car and letting it sort itself out. Let me know if you want a cheap gps kit,lol. I still think they should inform you that half of the features won't work 😕

Netranger9

I am not sure or familiar at all with regards to Australia radio frequencies at all.
If you have access to frequency lists in your area OR if you buy the pre-programmed SD card you should be able to give those frequencies GPS coordinates. With the GPS coordinates entered and a radius for each frequency the GPS feature SHOULD then take over. I'm not super sure on this as I am at work and don't have software in front of me but it's worth a shot.
Hi mate,tried that after I start entering my gps coordinates it says out of range and won't do anything else.thanks for trying to help though.

donc13

Premium Subscriber
The GPS will work, but of course, you need an Australian database.

Who did you buy it from? Uniden Australia or via a dealer? What does the seller say? There is a Uniden Australia listed as uniden.com.au that should have contact and support numbers listed.

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
Don't get rid of the GPS. Once you have favorite lists built with the proper GPS coordinates and range, it will work as intended.

The internal database was designed for the US user - therefore it doesn't suit your needs.
Once you program it for your area of OZ, you will have a working radio/GPS.
Help is here if you need it.
First thing is to find a freq database for where you are at - intend to travel.

Yes, this is going to be a manual process (unless you buy a pre-programmed card) and yes, it is some work, but well worth it once it's done.

Ubbe

I purchased a usds100 scanner(here) and a GPS kit(US) and some other stuff and all said and done,by the time it got to Australia it was around $1300 AUD ....charged the(small) battery up
Give a link to the seller and we can look if they are not telling the thuth about the USDS100. If it had the small battery it is a really old unit that could have a high risk of the cold solder joint issue.

/Ubbe

Netranger9

The GPS will work, but of course, you need an Australian database.

Who did you buy it from? Uniden Australia or via a dealer? What does the seller say? There is a Uniden Australia listed as uniden.com.au that should have contact and support numbers listed.
Headed over there now mate,thanks. It's just something I didn't give a second thought to.

JethrowJohnson

Thanks,I have sentinel and and am learning how you use it. It's just not what I had in mind,lol.I live in Byron Bay nsw.Still a great piece of kit,was really looking forward to jumping in the car and letting it sort itself out. Let me know if you want a cheap gps kit,lol. I still think they should inform you that half of the features won't work 😕
Which division in NSW?

Netranger9

Don't get rid of the GPS. Once you have favorite lists built with the proper GPS coordinates and range, it will work as intended.

The internal database was designed for the US user - therefore it doesn't suit your needs.
Once you program it for your area of OZ, you will have a working radio/GPS.
Help is here if you need it.
First thing is to find a freq database for where you are at - intend to travel.

Yes, this is going to be a manual process (unless you buy a pre-programmed card) and yes, it is some work, but well worth it once it's done.
Thanks,I appreciate that

JethrowJohnson

I looked up the database for North Coast and I didn't see anything specifically saying Byron Bay, but there is a trunked radio system (TRS) named NSW Government Radio Network and the talkgroups on that list should all be in your area.

cherubim

Premium Subscriber
This discussion should be moved to the Australia forum

I would suggest that the OP obtain an SD card with programming for the P25 NSW GRN. This will get you started and later as you gain more experience with sentinel you can create your own frequency lists using the favourites feature.

There is an Australian eBayer who sells the necessary SD cards.

Last edited:

rustynswrail

So I pulled it out of the box,charged the(small) battery up (took a REALLY long time) grabbed a coffee and thought first thing to try was the zipcode feature-DOSNT WORK HERE it seems-no matter what I try if you dont live in US or Canada (unless I am missing something ??).Tried plugging in the GPS and doing a auto search-NOTHING.Tried manual gps entry-NOTHING.

At no time was the USDS100 ever advertised or sold as having the postcode feature for Australia. Clearly Zipcode is a North American feature, the name is the giveaway.

This was a real painfull realisation as 90% of use would be while mobile.BUT THIS WAS MADE FOR AUSTRALIA right,seems not.I can purchase a readymade SD card but that does not change the fact that I would manually have to pull over every 30 kms to reprogram the thing. Walked away for a few days then the next realization hit me.

Never in the history of scanning in Australia has a scanner been sold that "programs itself". The user has always had to do some work to get the things receiving. The USDS100 is no different. Uniden Australia provides free software in the form of Sentinel which is the starting point for scanner data entry.

I tried to register it for the bigger battery free upgrade-IT ONLY ACCEPTS USA AND CANADA (it seems) I CANT REGISTER IT.I was getting fairly mad now,starting to think they have just slapped a U on it and sent it.

The bigger battery upgrade was for North America only. Again it was never intended for Australia. This is the problem when Australian consumers read US material, thinking that it applies universally.

If anyone has any ideas im all ears (its impossible to find any Australian content) and its looking more and more like Uniden has slapped me in the face with a cold fish,and that ive been had.

To be honest you have slapped yourself in the face by not doing your research. The Uniden Australia web pages clearly lists the features and functions of the USDS100 as applicable to Australia. If you do look around the web there is any number of forums and Facebook pages that list Australian content, which is relevant, more accurate and up to date than anything found here.

They should at least INFORM people in other Countrys that the main features(for me at least WONT work).Sorry for the rant (what a 1st post,lol). Not looking to upset anyone,but need some answers. Thanks for reading.

They do. Again 5 minutes on the Uniden Australia webpage would show you what the scanner is capable of as well as the features and functions it has here. As someone posted earlier, look at Ebay Australia (not Ebay US) for this seller, Uniden USDS100 NSW SD Card update Version 5.10 New 32GB Card. | eBay

You might find what you are looking for.

R0am3r

Salt Water Conch
Premium Subscriber
The Uniden.com.au website shows the price of a USDS100 at AUD $949.95. The XE currency converter shows this as US $606.02. Seems like a decent price from my perspective.