AGC

Status
Not open for further replies.

N7CAS

Where is the Automatic Gain Control on the Uniden BCD536HP? And how is it invoked (never mind why that's not the default). I can't find it in the menu, and (worse) the manual says it's on Page 75. Nope, it's not on Page 75. This thing dearly needs some AGC; it's all over the map.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Where is the Automatic Gain Control on the Uniden BCD536HP? And how is it invoked (never mind why that's not the default). I can't find it in the menu, and (worse) the manual says it's on Page 75. Nope, it's not on Page 75. This thing dearly needs some AGC; it's all over the map.

In my copy of the manual, the procedure for accessing AGC in various modes of operation is shown on pages 39, 64, 65, 73, and 76.

N7CAS

It's just an awful manual. Some folks can get through it, sure, but of course I read the thing; it's like spaghetti. The 436/536 concept rocks. But the manual is a sorry excuse for one. I hope Uniden issues another re-written (and Indexed) manual. It's an outstanding company, yet its manuals need to be vetted by people (1.) in the hobby and (2.) who speak English in the American market. Having a manual whose Index indicates a page on which the subject does not exist demands correction from the company that "listens."

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
I can't find it in the menu, and (worse) the manual says it's on Page 75. Nope, it's not on Page 75.

Having a manual whose Index indicates a page on which the subject does not exist demands correction from the company that "listens."

Are you sure you have the latest manual? I checked mine again, and there is no reference in the manual's index to AGC settings on page 75.

In my manual's index, page 75 is "Fire Tone Out".

kb8rvp

On the scanner if you have favorites setup you press the menu button then scroll to manage favorites. Select by pressing the volume knob down. Scroll to the favorites you want and select it. Select the "Review Edit System" Select the system and then select "Edit System Option". Scroll and select "Set Audio AGC". You can toggle it on or off.

Mike

JamesO

Let us know if you "think" the AGC actually works!!!

I say it is "vaporware" until someone can prove it works.

Also what are the default settings, how do the setting impact the signals and how about some examples.

Would love for someone to explain how they have the AGC working, what settings they are using and how it performs.

woody_46

First off I'm not a Uniden basher, I own a 436 and still like it even with it's shortcomings and missing features.

I would also like proof the AGC works when enabled. I have a rattling speaker from the huge volume difference in users on a single system. The volume offset is useless in this case. The Detroit simulcast system really shows the issue with some users almost at a whisper while others sound like they're yelling.

DSC45

Premium Subscriber
AGC or Volume Offset

If I'm not mistaken, the AGC works only with Weather Cannels (manual pg 73). To balance the volume between P25 digital and analog channels, I find it best to adjust the volume offset in Sentinel.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
If I'm not mistaken, the AGC works only with Weather Cannels (manual pg 73). To balance the volume between P25 digital and analog channels, I find it best to adjust the volume offset in Sentinel.

According to the owner's manual, in addition to weather channels, AGC settings are available in the x36HP menu system for:

Favorites Lists (pg. 39)
Search/Close Call Modes (pg. 63)
Custom Search (pg. 65)
Fire Tone Out (pg. 77)

JamesO

AGC???????

It is not AGC is is AVC "Automatic Volume Control" because for FM and Digital transmissions they are for the most part immune to variations to incoming signal levels.

So here is my philiospy.

I have 396XT, 996XT, BCT15X, HP1, 436HP and 536HP radios.

With the exception of the HP1 and maybe the BCT15X there is only an AGC "On" or "Off".

The x96XT and the x36HP have far more sophisticated "AGC" settings for both analog and digial and many settings for each, not just a basic "On" or "Off".

I have looked over the instructions for operation and configuration of the "AGC" on these radios also looking for examples and a CLEAR and OBVIOUS explanation of how each setting impacts performance and what some of the basis/default settings should be with CLEAR and OBVIOUS examples.

I see things this way, if the "AGC" actually worked and was fully implemented on thee radios the instruction manual would have a lot of detail, likely 6 or more pages on "ACG" operation and configuration.

I have put out a challenge for anyone to offer proof the AGC works on any of these radios with examples of what settings they are using and even explain if they have the AGC working what each setting likely adjusts.

Given the Volume Offset actually works and it is a nice feature for many reasons, one would assume that the AGC actually utilizes the same components for the Volume Offset. This also means there should be some form of detection circuit to determine when a TG or Channel Volume level is too great and then attempt to level the Volume.

I have also suggested that Uniden put together a White Paper description of how the AGC works, what each setting does and how it impacts the AGC performance and some examples for default setting to start with and how to "Fine Tune" the AGC.

So far I have not been successful in getting the AGC to function and maybe it is because I am not going to waste my time finding out it does not work and also playing with many, many combinations that are undocumented.

This is just a total fail on Uniden's part.

So I challenge Uniden to prove to the user community the AGC works and document how it works and how to use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.