Age old dilema : which scanner to purchase.........

Status
Not open for further replies.

markandjere

Premium Subscriber
I am stuck between a psr500 and pro106 with the psr800 constantly poking it's nose in on the matter. The 800 is intimidating to me ................kinda scares me off.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Well actually your between the 500 and the 800, the 500 is the same as the 106 with exception to cosmetics and speaker placement vs. display. If your not a beginner, and you do not need recording features, the 500/106 is a great deal. Just keep in mind you'll need Win500, Arc500, or PSREdit 500, for advanced editing and importing.

N8IAA

The PSR-500 gives accessories that the 106 doesn't. The USB programming cable, and the ac/dc adapter for about $50 more. If you buy the cable at RS, $35, ac/dc adapter, approximately $20+. The 800 isn't so complex, just more like a MP3 player. The 500/106 make it easier to go between ScanLists with one button pushes. The 800 requires you to push Menu, scroll to ScanList, scroll to Scanlist, press SEL, press Menu, press scan. To much for mobile use. OK is using portable. 500 is my best choice:) Definitely Win500 for software!

HTH,
Larry

Tramagod

The only negative I've heard about the 800 is how badly it eats batteries, but, I've also heard if you tweak the settings it's not as bad.

markandjere

Premium Subscriber
OK ............so now leaning towards an 800 after some reading and a little advice and the all important nod of approval from my wife! In my understanding the scan lists are comparable to v-scan on older scanners like my pro-96 correct? I can set up different scan lists much like my v-scan memories I have set up on the 96 . One is home scanning , another is Maryland another for Ohio and another for New York etc.etc..

N8IAA

OK ............so now leaning towards an 800 after some reading and a little advice and the all important nod of approval from my wife! In my understanding the scan lists are comparable to v-scan on older scanners like my pro-96 correct? I can set up different scan lists much like my v-scan memories I have set up on the 96 . One is home scanning , another is Maryland another for Ohio and another for New York etc.etc..

Indeed it is:)
Larry

radingman

hi there, new guy here. just got a GRECOM PSR700 and i am very impressed with how easy it is to program the scanlists and import new frequencies from the radio reference website. granted this may not be for the hardcore enthusiast but its pretty damn good as a non digital scanner and the price is right from scanner master. anyway, i wanted to weigh in on the battery issue. ive read the PSR 800 supposedly eats batteries....tho better when tweaking some settings. as an owner of the PSR700 i can say i consistently get 13-16 hrs of use from a set of sanyo eneloop rechargables and that isnt just letting the scanner sit there and pick up braodcasts. that includes playing with the settings, naming scanlists, adding new systems to existing scanlists and scrolling thru diff scanlists to see what i want to listen to next. of course the old saying goes....your mileage may vary.......

Status
Not open for further replies.